Program trigger requests

jhimmel

I would like the following triggers added -

1. Device "has been on/off for exactly HH.MM.SS"

This is different then watching for an ON or OFF and then waiting a given period of time because the device could be toggled again while you are waiting.

2. Device "SET on/off"

This differs from "Changed to on/off" in that it would trigger if an ON was pressed - even if the device was already ON.

I am new to ISY, so if these scenarios are already available, please let me know how.

Thanks,

Jim H.

Interesitng. This is exactly what I am building into my web application. I think these are both useful.

I use them both in Homeseer. I'll give an example -

I have my bathroom exhaust fan set to turn off if the light has been off for exactly 3 minutes. So, I take a shower, I leave the room, turn off the light, and the exhaust fan continues to clear the steam from the room for three minutes. However, if the next person goes in to take a shower and turns on the light before the three minutes is over, the fan is already running, so they leave it on. This type of trigger resets (three minutes off not yet reached), and the fan stays on as desired - where as a simple three minute timer would have turned the fan off in the middle of his shower.

I use this type of thing in a number of Homeseer events.

There is other logic I could apply to construct a similar result, but this trigger makes it simple.

My uses for "Set On" is somewhat complicated and would be difficult to explain here, but I use that one in Homeseer as well.

What's going on with me is that I am working with the new ISY alpha plugin for Homeseer. I am trying to move as much of my lighting logic to the ISY as I can, leaving mostly non-lighting events in Homeseer. The thing is, Homeseer is quite a bit more configurable than the ISY. These two additions would help.

Another thing that would help is ability to do IF THEN nesting on the ISY program page. (IF, THEN, IF...)

Again, if I'm just missing the capability, I apologize.

Jim H.

Interesitng. This is exactly what I am building into my web application. I think these are both useful.

By the way - what is this web application you speak of?

Jim H.

I'm writing my own control program using ColdFusion and the ISY web service. In many respects it will be faster than the ISY client because ColdFusion will keep track of status and every change that the ISY knows of. I also use ColdFusion to preform tasks and run programs to tell the ISY what to do. I write every event to a SQL database and I keep track of every change to every node in memory.

By using the web service, I can do my on if, elseif and else. I am working on a floor plan that I can see devices turn on and off in real time. My goal is to see someone walk from room to room in real time. When certain sensors are in place, I hope to know be able to tell how many people are in each room and what part of the room they are in.

I would like the following triggers added -

1. Device "has been on/off for exactly HH.MM.SS"

This is different then watching for an ON or OFF and then waiting a given period of time because the device could be toggled again while you are waiting.

This can be accomplished with something similar to:

If
   Status 'Bathroom Light' is Off
Then
   Wait 10 minutes
   Set 'Bathroom Fan' Off
Else
   - No Actions -

If the bathroom light is switched on, the condition becomes false, and the program abandons the Then clause and runs the Else clause.

2. Device "SET on/off"

This differs from "Changed to on/off" in that it would trigger if an ON was pressed - even if the device was already ON.

In fact, a Control condition does act upon an On command even when the status is already on (or an off command even when the status is already off).

There is presently no Becomes condition (meaning the condition has to actually change), though that is a very good idea, and one which has been requested.

Nested If, Then, Else has also been requested, and I hope it will eventually be implemented.

Archived