Is there an insteon outdoor motion sensor?

Blackbird

If it doesn't rely on RF does the micro on off only transmit signals through the power line?

no.  It is a dual band device and can transmit and receive RF but is does not DEPEND on RF like the Insteon motion sensor.

-Xathros

Just so Im clear, you do recommend the micro on off and to my understanding (and its not much) , the micro on off connects directly to the wires on the motion sensor. The micro on off activates the motion sensor to turn the light and off and the motion sensor still works normally turning the light on and off by motion. Is this correct? If so and I turn off the light remotely through the isy to the micro on off, does that stop the motion sensor from operating normally until I turn it back on?

Depending upon the light fixture if you toggle it on/off the light will stay on without a timer.

If it doesn't have that feature turning off the micro switch will remove power from the light until you turn it back on. All the sense wire does is inform the Insteon micro the light is on/off.

This provides you a current known state of on/off.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Just so Im clear, you do recommend the micro on off and to my understanding (and its not much) , the micro on off connects directly to the wires on the motion sensor.  The micro on off activates the motion sensor to turn the light and off and the motion sensor still works normally turning the light on and off by motion.  Is this correct?  If so and I turn off the light remotely through the isy to the micro on off, does that stop the motion sensor from operating normally until I turn it back on?

Sorry, missed that one.  I had one of these set up with the old InLineLinc with Sense.  Same thing as MicroOnOff but bigger and older.

The way it works is you put the micro relay between line and the light fixture just like any Insteon switch.  Then, you tie the sensor part of the original fixture to always on power (Upstream of the micro module) and the output of the sensor goes to the micro module's sense1 wire.  Now, you can remotely operate the light via Insteon and if the sensor fires it operates the micro module locally via the sense1 input.  Adjust the timeout and sensitivity at the sensor as you have up to now.

-Xathros

Sorry, missed that one.  I had one of these set up with the old InLineLinc with Sense.  Same thing as MicroOnOff but bigger and older.

The way it works is you put the micro relay between line and the light fixture just like any Insteon switch.  Then, you tie the sensor part of the original fixture to always on power (Upstream of the micro module) and the output of the sensor goes to the micro module's sense1 wire.  Now, you can remotely operate the light via Insteon and if the sensor fires it operates the micro module locally via the sense1 input.  Adjust the timeout and sensitivity at the sensor as you have up to now.

-Xathros

Sorry for all the questions but Im new to this.  So if I turn the lights off by the insteon remote for example, does the motion sensor stay off until I turn it on again by the remote?  Or if its off I can walk past the motion sensor and the lights will come back on.  I guess what im saying is am I remotely turning off the light or turning off the motion sensor?

Remote light control. Shared with the sensor. Sensor will still turn it on.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol OMG.  Well I guess I got an education at least.  I guess its the insteon motion sensor. Out of curiosity, why does dual brite not work with this?

Thanks guys

Because the output of the dualbrite sensor is variable.  The MicroModule sense line expects full 120V signal.

-Xathros

Not sure.  I have never tested this myself.  Another user on this forum was unable to make a dualbrite unit work this way but I have no way to know if your sensor units are the same kind/brand etc.

-Xathros

EDIT: See: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13863-in-linelinc-briefly-turns-on-then-off/?p=114887

That was using an InLineLinc but it mentions the sensor model.

Only Heath/Zenith makes the DualBrite. I'm unaware of anyone who has had success using a DualBrite with a Micro Module. Another solution is to get a different motion sensor.

Far as I can tell on mine the DualBrite just puts a half wave diode in series with the output for half power lights. It doesn't work well for LED bulbs as the LED bulb power supplies  absorb  power when they can while the cycle is live and then the  bulb barely dims. My front lights are only 6 watts each so more than half power is not a problem anyway.  have no problems with flickering or bulb life using LEDS though.

It's hard to tell what the input to the micro-module looks like (I don't have one) but I doubt it would hurt it, only activate it when  the sun goes down every night, depending on the DC polarity of the output to input match. Just turn the feature off.

I have gone through three of these Heap-Zenith MS on my front lights and two on the back of my shop in 6 years. The rest of the manufacturers have been chased away in every store I can find so I cannot find a replacement for their junk.

The Insteon MS will also tell your ISY when it gets dark for other automated functions/lights in your system. The micro-module method won't.

My first post here and it had to be this.

I have several micro modules hooked to motion sensors in order to have all the lights come on when one senses motion.

There are several ways to wire a manual switch into the circuit depending on what you want it to do.

When I started out I bought some lights with Dual-Brite motion sensors and didn't think anything about it. After reading about them I figured that once the dual-brite sensor kicked on high the micro module sense would pick it up and activate. I was wrong. Nothing I tried would make the micro module sense the dual-brite signal. I think it's more the way the dual-brite works than anything with the micro module.

I finally bought some standard (non dual-brite) MS-180 motion sensors from Amazon and replaced the dual-brites with them and everything works flawlessly.

The way I have mine wired is to have power all the time. I hook the module to power and sense 1 is hooked to the output of the motion sensor. That way any time it senses motion after dark it turns the light on. I also have programs written in the ISY994 that whenever one of the outside lights is turned on by motion the other outside lights turn on. and when the motion sensor times out and turns the light off, all the rest of the outside lights go off as well.

In this scenario, if the outside lights turn on by motion I can turn one or all of them off through the ISY/Insteon network and when the motion sensor times out and re-senses motion they will all turn back on again. I can also turn any or all of them on through the ISY/Insteon network without them sensing motion.

My first post here and it had to be this.

I have several micro modules hooked to motion sensors in order to have all the lights come on when one senses motion.

There are several ways to wire a manual switch into the circuit depending on what you want it to do.

When I started out I bought some lights with Dual-Brite motion sensors and didn't think anything about it. After reading about them I figured that once the dual-brite sensor kicked on high the micro module sense would pick it up and activate. I was wrong. Nothing I tried would make the micro module sense the dual-brite signal. I think it's more the way the dual-brite works than anything with the micro module.

I finally bought some standard (non dual-brite) MS-180 motion sensors from Amazon and replaced the dual-brites with them and everything works flawlessly.

The way I have mine wired is to have power all the time. I hook the module to power and sense 1 is hooked to the output of the motion sensor. That way any time it senses motion after dark it turns the light on. I also have programs written in the ISY994 that whenever one of the outside lights is turned on by motion the other outside lights turn on. and when the motion sensor times out and turns the light off, all the rest of the outside lights go off as well.

In this scenario, if the outside lights turn on by motion I can turn one or all of them off through the ISY/Insteon network and when the motion sensor times out and re-senses motion they will all turn back on again. I can also turn any or all of them on through the ISY/Insteon network without them sensing motion.

What is the dual-brite signal?

My MS has an AC output connection that lights up whatever load you connect to it. The dim output is the same connection with some method of reducing the effective average voltage.

Archived