Using the 8 button keypad to monitor the garage door open status?

Blackbird

Replace the magnetic contact switch. In the interim, create a scene where the button is a controller and the relay is a responder.

Create another scene that contains only the button.

Write a program that turns the button scene On if the sensor is open, otherwise (else) turns the button scene off.

The best solution is to replace the magnetic switch as mentioned previously, then uncheck Trigger Reverse in the IOLinc options dialog.  If you don't want to replace the switch, then I believe there was a program based solution offered previously as well for reversing the KPL Button state on any IOLinc status change.

-Xathros

You could create a new "AlmostEverything" scene and include everything except the IOLink then edit the 3am query to use your new scene instead.

-Xathros

I would certainly think it possible to exclude a certain time period in a program to send notifications, yes. Is it possible you have an error in your program?

Below is my program.  I now get an email at 305 am instead of 3

If

Status  'Overhead garage door-Sensor' is On

And From     3:05:00AM

To       2:55:00AM (next day)

Then

Send Notification to 'email' content 'Garage Overhead Door sensor Open'

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

No, for the IOLinc.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok and how important is that nightly query and am I at risk of anything if I bypass it?

On the surface, your program looks like it should work.  However, consider the triggers of your program: Change in status, time is 0255, and time is 0315.  At each trigger point, it will evaluate the total condition and respond.  So...at 0305, if the status of the sensor is true, it will send a message. 

You may need to take an alternate approach.  Try a couple of programs:

if

status of sensor is true

then

run next program (if path)

else

nothing

Next program (disabled):

if

time is from 0305

to 0255 (next day)

then

send notification

else

nothing

I understand you may be able to safely remove the query program, but it serves a useful function, so I would do so only as last resort.  The query program can be helpful in keeping devices synced with ISY in the event of comm problems.

On the surface, your program looks like it should work.  However, consider the triggers of your program: Change in status, time is 0255, and time is 0315.  At each trigger point, it will evaluate the total condition and respond.  So...at 0305, if the status of the sensor is true, it will send a message. 

You may need to take an alternate approach.  Try a couple of programs:

if

status of sensor is true

then

run next program (if path)

else

nothing

Next program (disabled):

if

time is from 0305

to 0255 (next day)

then

send notification

else

nothing

I understand you may be able to safely remove the query program, but it serves a useful function, so I would do so only as last resort.  The query program can be helpful in keeping devices synced with ISY in the event of comm problems.

So the first program will only run my original program is the status of the io link is true? And keep my original program disabled?

So the first program will only run my original program is the status of the io link is true? And keep my original program disabled?

Not quite.  While the "next" program may be similar to your original, it is not the same.  Delete the original program (or modify to match the "next" program.)

How is it different?

Compare the condition of your program:

with that of the "next" program:

time is from 0305

to 0255 (next day)

Compare the condition of your program:

with that of the "next" program:

time is from 0305

to 0255 (next day)

So instead of selecting "From" I need to select "Time is"?

So instead of selecting "From" I need to select "Time is"?

No.  My syntax was, unfortunately, approximate.  Sorry.

The difference is that your program condition is unrelated to syntax.  Your program has two triggers:

1) status ..... is ON

2) time is from ... to

My "next" program has only one trigger

1) time is from .... to

Ok how about this?

Title of this program is "Overhead Garage door notification 1 of 2" and it is enabled

If
        Status  'Overhead garage door-Sensor' is On                 On means the door is opened

Then
        Run Program 'Overhead Garage door Open Notification 2 of 2' (If)

Else

Title of this program is "Overhead Garage door Open Notification 2 of 2"  and it is disabled

If
        From     3:05:00AM

Then
        Send Notification to 'email' content 'Garage Overhead Door sensor Open'

Else

It is all about triggers.  The first program will trigger (self initiate) upon ANY CHANGE OF STATE of the sensor.  The next program will filter those, however, eliminating any not between the specified time period.  The second program will NOT trigger at 0255 or 0305, however, since it is disabled.  It is this last point that marks the difference between the approach I suggested and your original program.  Your program was triggering at the two points in time defining your time range.  Once triggered (at 0305, for example), it was, I suggest, evaluating true, and sending your dreaded notification.

You may also want to consider CONTROL, rather than STATUS, of your sensor node as a program condition.  Since the query returns an ON/OPEN when, in fact, the door is closed, the first time after the query that the door is truly opened, there will be no change in status.  Using CONTROL condition should help solve that problem.

Having said this, I believe you are still relying on a trigger reverse setting of the IOLinc, no?  This may get reset from time-to-time, such as power outages.  Once reset, sensor ON will equal door closed.

Writing a program to overcome an easily correctable hardware problem seems to be overkill and a band-aid. Change the magnetic switch.

This one is top-of-the-line: http://www.smarthome.com/seco-larm-sm-226l-3-magnetic-garage-door-contact-switch.html

This on is bottom dollar: http://www.smarthome.com/seco-larm-sm-200q-wh-surface-mount-magnetic-contact-switch-normally-closed.html

Archived