Clothes Dryer Programs

mfranzel

Hi all,

I have an open/close sensor inside my dryer so that when it stops running, I will get a notification. I have the following program:

If
      Control 'Dryer-Opened' is switched On
  Or  Control 'Dryer-Opened' is switched Off
  Or  Control 'Dryer-Opened / Dryer-Closed' is switched On
  Or  Control 'Dryer-Opened / Dryer-Closed' is switched Off

Then
  Wait 10 seconds
  Send Notification

I have it set like this so that when the sensor and magnet are not passing each other ie the dryer has stopped, I will get a notification after 10 seconds. And, on the off chance the magnet stops right on the sensor, I will get the notification as well.

However, I always forget to actually get the clothes out of the dryer. I want to set it so that it will send me a message every 15 minutes until I open the dryer door. 

So I would add another open/close sensor on the door of the dryer. What other rule can I put in here to basically say "send notification every 15 minutes until dryer door is open"?

Thanks everyone!!

The 15 minute notification is possible

Then

Repeat x times

Wait 15 min

Send Notification

but what do you want/have to send a signal that the "door is open" to end the alerts?"

Is this a Gas or Electric dryer?  If Gas, then I think a Synchrolinc may be the best solution for detecting the states of the dryer as you should be able to tell the various draws, Running, idle, door open with light on etc.  If Electric another solution may need to be found. 

I'm not a fan of your Triggerlinc solution as implemented.  While the dryer is running, this will be flooding the Insteon network with On/Off messages from the Triggerlinc.  This seems like a bad idea to me.  Can't imagine the battery in the Triggerlinc will last long with that kind of usage either.

If you have Zwave on your ISY, one of these energy meters would be a good solution to this problem: http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-DSB09104-ZWUS-Z-Wave-Energy/dp/B00DIBSKFU  Like the Synchrolinc, you should be able to detect run, idle and door open with this.  If done right, you could use one sensor for the dryer and one for the washer.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

I have a Synchrolinc on both my washer and dryer and the ISY sends out a text when the washer or dryer finishes.  For the dryer, the Synchrolinc can only detect on and off.  There is no idle.

I have an Insteon 2845-222 Hidden Door Sensor on the laundry room door.  If the room door is open, then the ISY suppresses the pages.  The thinking is that if someone is in the room, there is no need to send out a text.  I have thought about taking it further and enable a program that runs every 15 minutes to send another text.  Once the room door is opened, then the program would be disabled.

Is this a Gas or Electric dryer?  If Gas, then I think a Synchrolinc may be the best solution for detecting the states of the dryer as you should be able to tell the various draws, Running, idle, door open with light on etc.  If Electric another solution may need to be found. 

I'm not a fan of your Triggerlinc solution as implemented.  While the dryer is running, this will be flooding the Insteon network with On/Off messages from the Triggerlinc.  This seems like a bad idea to me.  Can't imagine the battery in the Triggerlinc will last long with that kind of usage either.

If you have Zwave on your ISY, one of these energy meters would be a good solution to this problem: http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-DSB09104-ZWUS-Z-Wave-Energy/dp/B00DIBSKFU  Like the Synchrolinc, you should be able to detect run, idle and door open with this.  If done right, you could use one sensor for the dryer and one for the washer.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

It is an electric dryer, so it has a giant 240v plug. I have no problems with my TriggerLinc setup. I simply got a 1.5v power supply and hooked it up to where the battery goes in and it works. I usually dry the laundry either when I am out or at night when I am sleeping. When I am home, it really doesn't interfere with the rest of the system.

What do you have to send the signal when the dryer door is opened?

As in what device? I was going to use a TriggerLinc

I have a Synchrolinc on both my washer and dryer and the ISY sends out a text when the washer or dryer finishes.  For the dryer, the Synchrolinc can only detect on and off.  There is no idle.

I have an Insteon 2845-222 Hidden Door Sensor on the laundry room door.  If the room door is open, then the ISY suppresses the pages.  The thinking is that if someone is in the room, there is no need to send out a text.  I have thought about taking it further and enable a program that runs every 15 minutes to send another text.  Once the room door is opened, then the program would be disabled.

This is sort of what I want. I want it to finish and send me a message every 15 minutes until I open the dryer door using the TriggerLinc.

As in what device? I was going to use a TriggerLinc

A magnet tends to magnetize the steel (or iron) around it. It may take awhile. At that time, opening the door won't trip the TriggerLinc. A solution is to place a thin piece of wood between the dryer surface and both the TriggerLinc and magnet.

Archived