Release 2.6.8 is now available

Michel Kohanim

Hello X,

Please check your firewall software:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewforum.php?f=3 .

Then, please reboot your ISY as it seems it is already in programming mode.

With kind regards,

Michel

I just purchased a new ISY 99i and when I try and upgrade it to any version (its at v2.6.5) I get "Upgrade Failed :ISY Refused Program Update".

Is there any way to further diagnose this issue?

X

I've moved the ISY onto the router. I've done an FS. I've turned off all firewall protections and filters. I unplugged and replugged. And I continue to get the exact same error message. Any other suggestions?

X

Hello X,

Please check your firewall software:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewforum.php?f=3 .

Then, please reboot your ISY as it seems it is already in programming mode.

With kind regards,

Michel

I just purchased a new ISY 99i and when I try and upgrade it to any version (its at v2.6.5) I get "Upgrade Failed :ISY Refused Program Update".

Is there any way to further diagnose this issue?

X

Michael,

Thanks for your help.

I tried what you suggested. The update failed about a dozen times. Then I tried changing to the Configuration tab (from the Main tab) and the upgrade worked the first time. Didn't know if this was signifigant or not. Just thought I would pass this along.

Again, thanks for you help!

Regards,

Rich Porter

Hello porter,

I am so very sorry to hear this. What I suggest is:

1. Install the latest version of Java

2. If you have any firewall software, please review this forum to disable/resolve firewall issues: http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewforum.php?f=3

3. Go to http://www.universal-devices.com/99i and login

4. Upgrade as you would normally

With kind regards,

Michel

I tried to update my ISY-99i from 2.6.7 to 2.6.8 and it failed on a couple of attempts and finally crashed Java with the following error log entry: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x027e43a8, pid=1032, tid=952. I tried closing all Explorer windows, clearing the Java cache and rebooting the ISY and now I get the initial UD Explorer screen but the Admin Console never appears and Java reports the following error: com.universaldevices.client.ui.UDClientApplet, jave.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.universaldevices.client.ui.UDClientApplet.class

I can still access the ISY via telnet and it reports version 2.6.7 but I think I may have a corrupted software installation. Any suggestions on how to fix this or get back to 2.6.7 would be appreciated.

Hi Rich,

Thanks so very much for letting us know. I will surely check into this but I doubt if it has any significance.

Thanks again and sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michael,

Thanks for your help.

I tried what you suggested. The update failed about a dozen times. Then I tried changing to the Configuration tab (from the Main tab) and the upgrade worked the first time. Didn't know if this was signifigant or not. Just thought I would pass this along.

Again, thanks for you help!

Regards,

Rich Porter

More frustration; Here's the latest:

Every time I launch the Administrative Console EVERY ONE of my dimming devices read 0% on level and 9 minute ramp rate.

If I query my lighting, they all read properly. When I close the Administrative Console and reopen, all the dimmers read 0% on level, and 9 minute ramp rate.

The My Lighting page will show which devices are on, and at what level, but when I click on a specific device it shows 0% - 9 minutes.

Oh, and another thing. Each time I launch the Administrative Console, the thermostat is set on an arbitrary setting. Eg: Program Heat, Setpoint 78; then the next time Cool, Setpoint 62. I do not have these settings in any program. Once I clicked on the thermostat icon and I watched the Thermostat setting change from one setting to another.

But...I love this hobby...

Joe

P.S. This is a repost: One more thing, I have a 10 minute Thermostat Query. Each time I restart the Administrative Console I have to restart that Query.

Joe,

I just logged into your system a couple of times:

1. Except for your Christmas lights and those that are not connected, ALL your devices report CORRECT on level and ramp rates

2. I closed and opened the admin console and they were still fine

3. Your thermostat shows and reports a Setpoint of 0 consistently regardless of how many times I open/close your admin console or query

I may have asked you this before: what firewall do you have? Do you have the same problem on all your computers?

And, while you like this hobby, I certainly recommend redoing your programs because there lies all the problems:

1. Your sunset scenes do not work because you have a condition on the AWAY scene with an device. This must have been a device you replaced

2. Your Christmas lights will work for the next 4 months (long Christmas)

3. Most of your programs in the AWAY folder can be written with 3 or less statements using Random and Repeat

4. Circular logic in Home/Exterior folder (too many to list)

5. The likelihood of Exterior OFF -1 to work is very low because you are Anding it with the status of 10 other devices which are impacted by other programs impacting the same devices

6. I do wonder if your Good Night! would ever work due to the shear number of scenes and network traffic

7. Schedules/Hallways Night, the Then stops the program from running. Break Hallway upstairs and foyer

And the list goes on.

With kind regards,

Michel

More frustration; Here's the latest:

Every time I launch the Administrative Console EVERY ONE of my dimming devices read 0% on level and 9 minute ramp rate.

If I query my lighting, they all read properly. When I close the Administrative Console and reopen, all the dimmers read 0% on level, and 9 minute ramp rate.

The My Lighting page will show which devices are on, and at what level, but when I click on a specific device it shows 0% - 9 minutes.

Oh, and another thing. Each time I launch the Administrative Console, the thermostat is set on an arbitrary setting. Eg: Program Heat, Setpoint 78; then the next time Cool, Setpoint 62. I do not have these settings in any program. Once I clicked on the thermostat icon and I watched the Thermostat setting change from one setting to another.

But...I love this hobby...

Joe

P.S. This is a repost: One more thing, I have a 10 minute Thermostat Query. Each time I restart the Administrative Console I have to restart that Query.

Here are some observations about my sunset timer with Version 2.6.8.

1. When, in setting up the timer, I checked the all box (for days), the timer worked once and then failed on subsequent days. When the timer failed, it left the Last Run Time and Last Finish Time blank, but entered the correct time for the Next Scheduled Run (which it also did not perform on the following day).

2. When I individually checked the boxes for all seven days, the timer worked correctly (at least for the three days I have tested it.).

This could explain why some users think the sunset timer works, while others don't. If UD can verify this behavior, I am hopeful it may help lead to a fix. In the meantime, the work-around is easy.

Hello FLBoy,

Thanks so very much. Would you be kind enough to copy and paste your program here. Unfortunately, we cannot reproduce it here [yet].

Thanks again and with kind regards,

Michel

Here are some observations about my sunset timer with Version 2.6.8.

1. When, in setting up the timer, I checked the all box (for days), the timer worked once and then failed on subsequent days. When the timer failed, it left the Last Run Time and Last Finish Time blank, but entered the correct time for the Next Scheduled Run (which it also did not perform on the following day).

2. When I individually checked the boxes for all seven days, the timer worked correctly (at least for the three days I have tested it.).

This could explain why some users think the sunset timer works, while others don't. If UD can verify this behavior, I am hopeful it may help lead to a fix. In the meantime, the work-around is easy.

Michel:

Thank you for your continued care for my situation. I know it's time consuming to go through the program list and I appreciate it.

I may have asked you this before: what firewall do you have? Do you have the same problem on all your computers?
I disabled the firewall on the router (we'll see what happens), and YES it only happens on one computer. Of course it's the computer that is in the family room, next to the easy chair where at night, while I watch TV I work on my smart home. THIS could be one of the problems. I'll use a different laptop from now on.

And, while you like this hobby, I certainly recommend redoing your programs because there lies all the problems:

Duly noted. Some of these programs were written when I first started with Insteon and the ISY. I went through them too and I was embarrassed at how they were written. Thank you for being easy on me.

1. Your sunset scenes do not work because you have a condition on the AWAY scene with an device. This must have been a device you replaced
That device was a resut of a KPL which was air-gapped, then restored. It never occurred to me to fix that in the AWAY folder. Thank you!

2. Your Christmas lights will work for the next 4 months (long Christmas)
My wife LOVES Christmas!

3. Most of your programs in the AWAY folder can be written with 3 or less statements using Random and Repeat
Agreed, it was the newbie syndrome (NS.)

4. Circular logic in Home/Exterior folder (too many to list)

I understand what you mean. I've been careful to ensure that if a progam is written it is outside of other programs. I'll check this in depth.

5. The likelihood of Exterior OFF -1 to work is very low because you are Anding it with the status of 10 other devices which are impacted by other programs impacting the same devices
This program does work, but as you said it is redundant, and may interfere with other programs. When the sunset time changed the exterior sunset program woud run, and so would the Exterior OFF-1. I need to go through this folder and fix everything.

6. I do wonder if your Good Night! would ever work due to the shear number of scenes and network traffic
Surprisingly enough it does. I was very concerned about this when it was conceived/written but with the waits in it, it seems to work. Here is the Good Night Program for those who are curious:

If
       From    Sunset 
       To      Sunrise (next day)
   And (
            Control 'B-RL 4 (D)' is switched Fast Off
         Or Control 'EA KPL-B Watch TV / Goodnite' is switched Off
         Or Control 'Family Room ControLinc 1' is switched Off
         Or IR '34' is Pressed
       )

Then
       Send Notification to All
       Set Scene 'All Kitchen Lights 50%' On
       Set Scene 'HALLWAYS' On
       Set 'Laundry Room' On
       Wait  1 second
       Set 'Pink Pantry' On
       Set Scene 'EA KPL-B Watch TV LED Status' Off
       Set Scene 'EXTERIOR' Off
       Wait  3 seconds
       Set 'Master Bedroom Lamps' 60%
       Set 'Master Bedroom KeyLinc A' On
       Set 'Downstairs Theromstat' 71° (Cool Setpoint)
       Set 'Master Bath Light' On
       Set 'Master Bedroom Fan' 64%
       Wait  4 minutes and 30 seconds
       Set Scene 'Eating Area 50%' Off
       Set Scene 'Family Room 55% Daytime' Off
       Set Scene 'EA KPL-D Family Rm LED Status' Off
       Set 'Picture Frame' Off
       Set 'Fan - Family Room' 45%
       Wait  30 seconds
       Set 'Pink Pantry' Off
       Set 'Laundry Room' Off
       Wait  4 minutes 
       Set Scene 'All Kitchen Lights 50%' Off
       Set Scene 'EA KPL-F Kitchen LED Status' Off
       Set Scene 'Kitchen KPL II "B" STATUS' Off
       Wait  2 minutes 
       Set Scene 'HALLWAYS' Fade Down
       Wait  8 minutes 
       Set 'Master Bath Light' Off
       Wait  7 minutes 
       Set Scene 'Master Bedroom Nighttime Fade' Off
       Set 'Master Bedroom KeyLinc A' Off
       Wait  5 minutes 
       Set Scene 'MB Christmas Candles' Off

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

It really does work!

7. Schedules/Hallways Night, the Then stops the program from running. Break Hallway upstairs and foyer

And the list goes on.

I am going to look at every single program and with eyes and a mind which is a year older.

Michel: It's difficult to put into words the appreciation I have for your dedication to your product and those who use it. Thank you for your continued patience.

Joe

Joe,

It's always a pleasure. Please do not hesitate to contact us with your questions when you start rewriting your programs. I am specifically very concerned about the Home/Exterior folder.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel:

Thank you for your continued care for my situation. I know it's time consuming to go through the program list and I appreciate it.

Michel: It's difficult to put into words the appreciation I have for your dedication to your product and those who use it. Thank you for your continued patience.

Joe

Hello FLBoy,

Thanks so very much. Would you be kind enough to copy and paste your program here. Unfortunately, we cannot reproduce it here [yet].

Thanks again and with kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Below is the sunset program that worked only one time.

If
       Time is Sunset  - 20 minutes

Then
       Set Scene 'NIGHT TIME' On
       Run Program 'NIGHT KITCHEN-SUNSET' (If)

Else

Below is the sunset program that seems to work OK.

If
       On Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
       Time is Sunset  - 20 minutes

Then

Else

Below is the called program NIGHT KITCHEN-SUNSET - (NOT enabled).

If
       Status  '*KPDIM-KITCHEN LIGHTS' < 20%

Then
       Set Scene 'NIGHT KITCHEN' On

Else

The scene NIGHT TIME has eight respondents, and the scene NIGHT KITCHEN has two.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I have had my ISY for about 9 days now, and I am amazed how easy it is to use. I am also amazed at how bug-free this beta software is. I think you guys have done a magnificent job!

Hello FLBoy,

Thanks so very much indeed. Would you be kind enough to test the same scenario one more time? We have not been able to reproduce this problem yet.

Is it possible that you changed the Location between runs? There's a bug where changing location does not change the next run times as it should. This has been fixed in the next release.

With kind regards,

Michel

BTW, I have had my ISY for about 9 days now, and I am amazed how easy it is to use. I am also amazed at how bug-free this beta software is. I think you guys have done a magnificent job!

Michel, my sunset program with all seven days checked failed to run yesterday, so I guess something else (e.g., timing or a race condition?) is causing the problem. I have not changed my location (Miami) since first setting up my ISY. How long after sunset does "Time is Sunset" stay true? I have changed the program to see if a longer window helps, as below. This problem is hard to test, since it only happens once every few days. Stay tuned.

If
       From    Sunset  - 20 minutes
       To      Sunset  - 19 minutes (same day)

Then

Else

Hello FLBoy,

Thanks so very much indeed. Would you be kind enough to test the same scenario one more time? We have not been able to reproduce this problem yet.

Is it possible that you changed the Location between runs? There's a bug where changing location does not change the next run times as it should. This has been fixed in the next release.

With kind regards,

Michel

Going back a page in this thread.

My sunset programs are now working. I changed my location to a nearby default location and they didn't run.

Michel had taken a look at my programs, (bless his heart) and noticed that there was a path in my AWAY folder which is only activated when I'm on vacation. That is what was not allowing my Sunset programs to run. Now, I don't really understand that, but hey it's fixed.

I would like to know why that would prevent the sunset programs from running, and not others.

I did go through my programs as suggested on the latter part of page 3 of this thread, and found many things that needed attention.

Many of us (especially me) wrote our programs when we first received our ISY. For me it was a year ago. I wrote, and wrote, more and more programs. As my knowledge of what was possible increased, I would test it. (Take a look at the "Good Night!" program near the end of page 3 of this thread...It really does work.) The catch is that the more we write, the more conflicts there could be.

The concept for me is to have my ENTIRE house run off my ISY. I don't have as intricate installation as some of you, but every wall switch, lamp, TV, fan, HVAC, duct booster, garage door, etc. is Insteon controlled and linked to my ISY. With the introduction of the motion sensor (I have 3 installed, 3 being delivered on Monday, and 2 more coming) and the Insteon 2450 Contact Closure Interface, the possibilites become more intriguing. Sometime in the future, I'm looking forward to my home anticipating my actions and movement through it. If there is anyone who can design this type of application it's Michel and his group of geniuses at Universal Devices.

[i'm looking into voice control but that seems a little unstable at the moment. Any suggestions?]

My point is: We are lucky enough to be involved with a technology which is cutting edge (at least to me it is) and if anyone told me 10 years ago (right in the middle of my X-10 frustrations) that I would be able to control my home from anywhere, including my mobile phone, I would thought they were nuts. I don't know why, on a Saturday night while I'm watching Oklahoma beat the pants off of Texas Tech I decided to wax philosophical. I think one of the reason is that I consider it an honor to associated with this group of people on this forum.

Everyone ALWAYS has a helping hand and a friendly explanation to those of us who ask those embarassing questions. (I am one for sure.)

So in closing, thank all of you that have posted the questions, and of course the answers. I read them all, and have learned a great deal from all of you.

Joe

Joe,

It's always a pleasure and I would also like to thank all participating in our forum for their help, support, and feedback in getting us to where we are now.

Thank you ALL.

With kind regards,

Michel

Going back a page in this thread.

My sunset programs are now working. I changed my location to a nearby default location and they didn't run.

Michel had taken a look at my programs, (bless his heart) and noticed that there was a path in my AWAY folder which is only activated when I'm on vacation. That is what was not allowing my Sunset programs to run. Now, I don't really understand that, but hey it's fixed.

I would like to know why that would prevent the sunset programs from running, and not others.

I did go through my programs as suggested on the latter part of page 3 of this thread, and found many things that needed attention.

Many of us (especially me) wrote our programs when we first received our ISY. For me it was a year ago. I wrote, and wrote, more and more programs. As my knowledge of what was possible increased, I would test it. (Take a look at the "Good Night!" program near the end of page 3 of this thread...It really does work.) The catch is that the more we write, the more conflicts there could be.

The concept for me is to have my ENTIRE house run off my ISY. I don't have as intricate installation as some of you, but every wall switch, lamp, TV, fan, HVAC, duct booster, garage door, etc. is Insteon controlled and linked to my ISY. With the introduction of the motion sensor (I have 3 installed, 3 being delivered on Monday, and 2 more coming) and the Insteon 2450 Contact Closure Interface, the possibilites become more intriguing. Sometime in the future, I'm looking forward to my home anticipating my actions and movement through it. If there is anyone who can design this type of application it's Michel and his group of geniuses at Universal Devices.

[i'm looking into voice control but that seems a little unstable at the moment. Any suggestions?]

My point is: We are lucky enough to be involved with a technology which is cutting edge (at least to me it is) and if anyone told me 10 years ago (right in the middle of my X-10 frustrations) that I would be able to control my home from anywhere, including my mobile phone, I would thought they were nuts. I don't know why, on a Saturday night while I'm watching Oklahoma beat the pants off of Texas Tech I decided to wax philosophical. I think one of the reason is that I consider it an honor to associated with this group of people on this forum.

Everyone ALWAYS has a helping hand and a friendly explanation to those of us who ask those embarassing questions. (I am one for sure.)

So in closing, thank all of you that have posted the questions, and of course the answers. I read them all, and have learned a great deal from all of you.

Joe

Archived