Smarthome 2441ZTH useless in Canada

CompKing

After investing in a wired 2441TH Insteon Thermostat, I wanted to get a new zone for my upstairs which is always significantly different than where the wired thermostat is located on the main floor.

I ordered the 2441ZTH (V1.5) recently and learned of a horrid bug which SH has not tasked to fix yet, and has been a known issue for over a year.

The problem is that when both the Wired and Wireless are set to Celsius display, the wireless device thinks the current temperature is Farenheit and compares it the celsius set point comparing apples and oranges.

The net result is that it is ALWAYS calling for cool (i.e. 24c setpoint is < than 77f measured temp / 24  < 77), or never calls heat because of the same logic.

Bottom line is that the device is useless in Canada and AARTECH (Canada Resellet of SH) should remove it from their inventory until SH fixes the issue.

If you have the wireless device (or the wired device and could buy a wireless device) and live in canada, e-mail custsvc@smarthome.com and ask them when they are going to fix this.

---------------------------------------------------

Here is the ticket details I sent in, and only so far have had a verbal (use Farenheit or return the device for refund) answer:

Symptom:
1) When in cool mode, and MASTER is set to wireless, A/C is always being demanded, regardless of setting
2) When in heat mode, and MASTER is set to wireless/ Heat is NEVER Demanded, regardless of setting

Issue:
1) Although all aspects of displays Sync properly, and both display Celsius, the Remote Wireless device logic is treating the set point value as Fahrenheit when the value is actually in Celsius.

i.e.  Room Temp = 25c, cool set point 27c - Call for cool because 27c is smaller than 25c translated to Fahrenheit (i.e. 77f) - 77 > 27 therefore cool needs to called. Max setting in C is 38c, so will always call for cool as long as the room is warmer than 38F
Room Temp = 25c, heat set point 27c - No Call for heat because 27c is smaller than 25c translated to Fahrenheit (i.e. 77f) - 77 > 27 therefore no heat needed to be called. Max setting in C is 38c, so will never call for heat as long as the room is warmer than 38F

It is confirmed this is the issue, as changing the setting back to "F" as the unit of measure, the unit functions properly and only calls for heat/cool when the main unit used to (according to the actual temp at the remote unit)
The system also properly functions in "C" when the MASTER unit is the wired unit

I have tried factory reset on the 2441ZTH and changing from "F" to C" prior to linking the devices, and the problem still exists.

2441TH = Rev 1.15 - 1222
2441ZTH = V1.5 - 4414 - 14J4

Unfortunately I had a similar issue.  When I was using HouseLinc software and my wired and wireless Tstats, I couldn't get the temperature offset to work correctly while in Metric mode.  I tried for a few hours to get it to work as I thought it should, but never did.  I succumbed to the (use Fahrenheit or return the device for refund).  I use Fahrenheit now with my ISY and haven't had a problem.  Ideally, I would like Metric as that is what my mind defaults to, but I can go both ways  :wink:  

I would go from Metric to Fahrenheit too, but I have dozens of programs related to humidity and temperature, and climate to humidity and underground watering.  I will probably mess things up as it is a couple years ago when I set it up..

Hello,

After seeing your post (and email to our support desk) we've been reaching out to Insteon support and our contacts there to try to get some clarity on the issue you're facing.   Still waiting for confirmation but I heard they may have fixed the issue you're describing a quite a while back but I'm waiting for confirmation.  Obviously it's an issue if it's not working as it should!

If I'm understanding your case you are using the 2441TH as master and 2441ZTH as remote. 

What if you don't link them but use the 2441ZTH as a sensor to report to ISY and use that as a trigger?  Eg. if the temp differential is too high, trigger heat or AC.  I'm not sure why we haven't had more reports of the issue but maybe it's in your version of firmware, or has to do with how it's used. Or others use F instead?

Or maybe it's a combination of your version of 2441TH and 2441ZTH ?

We'll keep in touch in the support ticket and perhaps one of us can report the outcome back here as well.  Thanks for your patience!

In my case, I am linking the 2441TH wired and the 2441ZTH wireless.  I want the 2441ZTH to be master so it controls the call for heat at the thermostat. 

I don't want to involve the ISY in any of this logic, as it shouldn't need a controller for it to work.  I'm not sure how a program like that would work.  I would have to manipulate the set point at the wired controller to try to achieve a proper balance based on the temperature at the wireless.  As far as I know you can't use the values from the thermostat queries very easily as criteria in programs, and also can't easily get them into variables for comparison purposes..

I am not sure why there aren't more reports of this issue.  I think you are right that it could be a my version of 2441TH and 2441ZTH.  Have quite a few been sold in Canada?

Strange I do not have a 2441TH and only two 2441ZTH units talking to ISY. When I changed my units from F to C the scale of the transmission of data does not change. The 2441ZTH only transmits C with two counts for every degree.

When you change your ISY994i over to C from F no adjustments are made on the 2441ZTH thermostats to accommodate the scale change. It would appear that F scales are all done at the readout ends.

Yes we have sold lots of 2441TH and 2441ZTH regularly starting in 2012.  I seem to recall some C vs V issue in the original units back in 2012 but haven't had anyone complain recently so I have to assume it's the combination of devices.  We aren't aware of any current issues nor has Instoen confirmed that they were aware of your specific issue but we're in touch with them now to get their feedback from customer service and engineering.

I'm going to email you privately through our support desk asking if you had a specific name from Insteon who confirmed they were aware of this specific issue as it might help.

Got the scoop. 

The 2441ZTH is fine.  Your 2441TH you have however has an older version of firmware and needs to be swapped out.  I suppose it's a non issue until you added the zth - and only with older units, and only with Celcius :-)

Did you buy the 2441TH from us?  We can swap it out for you and that should fix your issue.

• 5 months later...

Update: The problem was the wired unit, which was replaced..

Aartech went beyond expectations for a Canadian Insteon customer. After purchasing a 2441TH Insteon thermostat, it turned out it was incompatible with a future purchase of a wirless add-on thermostat (2441ZTH) I acquired.

The manufacturer support was not helpful, and Aartech team quickly got involved when I contacted them, and worked with senior management at the manufacturer to isolate the issue.

After learning the issue could not be resolved without replacing my 2441TH, Aartech allowed me to do a return of my defective unit, even though they didn't have to as it was out of their scope.

They took a frustrating situation and turned it into a satisfied customer who will be happy to continue being a long term customer. It is service like this that makes a big difference when working with bleeding edge technology which can sometimes have downfalls.

Thank you Aartech

Update: The problem was the wired unit, which was replaced..

Aartech went beyond expectations for a Canadian Insteon customer. After purchasing a 2441TH Insteon thermostat, it turned out it was incompatible with a future purchase of a wirless add-on thermostat (2441ZTH) I acquired.

The manufacturer support was not helpful, and Aartech team quickly got involved when I contacted them, and worked with senior management at the manufacturer to isolate the issue.

After learning the issue could not be resolved without replacing my 2441TH, Aartech allowed me to do a return of my defective unit, even though they didn't have to as it was out of their scope.

They took a frustrating situation and turned it into a satisfied customer who will be happy to continue being a long term customer. It is service like this that makes a big difference when working with bleeding edge technology which can sometimes have downfalls.

Thank you Aartech

Yes I share the same type of experience with other products.

You can't beat aartech.ca's prices in Canada either. Amazon and SH doesn't even come close after money differential and shipping.

Order today and receive it tomorrow usually. Well, maybe not if you didn't vote for Dustbin. :)

Archived