OMG!! I am so tired of this app

James Peterson

I feel your pain.  Regrettably though, based on response (or lack there-of) to repeated inquiries / complaints about feature parity between the two platforms, I doubt we will ever see this from Mobilinc.

Seems to me this could be a good opportunity for Android developers out there... 

Besides the clumsiness of the current android app.

1) no tablet designed layouts

2) no overview screens for household monitoring

3) lack of development on current options

4) no use of new available technologies (NFC/inphone IR/etc...)

5) poor device recognition

6) lack of setup backup - device switching

7) zwave support limited

8 ) push notifications

If I continue to think about it I can go on and on...

I am honestly thinking about switching tot he Insteon hub.  At least I know there is development for android happening there.  it may not be ready, but it is active.  

I'm just frustrated. pay me no mind..  I got this app 3 years ago and there had been no developmental change on the android side and I've watch the iOS version explode with new features...

I am a capable programmer and I have thought about working on an app myself, but my understanding of websockets is nil and I can't seem to wrap my head around it.  

I was always under the impression coding for Android was supposed to be easier, no? I would think if that was the case having feature parity from iOS to Android would not be such a huge issue.

Obviously, Wes has been a focused iOS developer for many years . . . Perhaps he needs to off load the Android platform to another member of the team who is more fluent in its inner workings etc.

I was always under the impression coding for Android was supposed to be easier, no? I would think if that was the case having feature parity from iOS to Android would not be such a huge issue.

Obviously, Wes has been a focused iOS developer for many years . . . Perhaps he needs to off load the Android platform to another member of the team who is more fluent in its inner workings etc.

Surprisingly, despite all pleas of Android users here, Wes claims he sees a very weak market for Mobilinc over Android, so I'm pretty sure the lack of new feature development for the Android version is quite intentional.  I try not to "bash" because I still see great potential in the product, but having been promised Elk support over two years ago now, it's very difficult for me not to be cynical about this.  I don't see Wes taking this seriously, and I think he should.  I'm sure Mobilinc will not be "the only game in town" forever...

Surprisingly, despite all pleas of Android users here, Wes claims he sees a very weak market for Mobilinc over Android, so I'm pretty sure the lack of new feature development for the Android version is quite intentional.  I try not to "bash" because I still see great potential in the product, but having been promised Elk support over two years ago now, it's very difficult for me not to be cynical about this.  I don't see Wes taking this seriously, and I think he should.  I'm sure Mobilinc will not be "the only game in town" forever...

That would be very surprising from a business stand point, no? If you have the skills and ability to support the two major smartphone operating systems why wouldn't you do that?

Money is money in the eyes of business . . .

Speaking out load, it would seem to me perhaps his Android development skills might not be at the same level when compared to iOS? Even if that was the case it would make more sense to off load the project to someone who can spend 100% focus on a platform they enjoy and support.

Another aspect I have to gather is like UDI, where limited resources must be focused on platforms where the most revenue will be generated by those efforts. The only hole in my theory is that he indicated development for Android to be at feature parity more than a year ago.

By your reply that has been much longer so that doesn't bode well . . .

Some of my requests are here http://forum.mobilinc.com/viewtopic.php?p=6347

Wes did not reply to that post but I emailed him the list and we discussed extra funding to help it happen. I won't publish or summarize the email without his permission, but needless to say it did not go well.

I have given up hope that a really good Android app will ever be available for the ISY. Mobilinc is adequate, but we really need more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Larry,

Can you provide more clarity to that statement?

Not really. I just thought I remembered him reporting that in a thread on the UDI forum.

Me thinks people may be a little too demanding. Although it was one of the more expensive apps I would be sure he wasn't getting rich over it with the small crowd of users.

Think about it. Four conditions have to be true: Android owner, ISY994i owner, awareness of the product, impressed enough to pay $20 for an app.

That leaves about what? 20 customers? Upgrades don't bring in funds. Apple users are accustomed to paying and paying. Android users are used to getting almost everything free.

Some of my requests are here http://forum.mobilinc.com/viewtopic.php?p=6347

Wes did not reply to that post but I emailed him the list and we discussed extra funding to help it happen. I won't publish or summarize the email without his permission, but needless to say it did not go well.

I have given up hope that a really good Android app will ever be available for the ISY. Mobilinc is adequate, but we really need more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That was a nice list you made there Jimbo. Just so you know the iPhone App is nothing like the iPad at all. So if you believe you're missing features and abilities you really need to compare how different and feature rich the iPad is over the iPhone.

One is like Corvette vs Malibu . . .

So if my iPhone is a Malibu yours must be a Chevette!

Ha . . .

That was a nice list you made there Jimbo. Just so you know the iPhone App is nothing like the iPad at all. So if you believe you're missing features and abilities you really need to compare how different and feature rich the iPad is over the iPhone.

One is like Corvette vs Malibu . . .

So if my iPhone is a Malibu yours must be a Chevette!

Ha . . .

Off topic:

Having owned and driven both a Malibu and Chevette in years past- I'd take the Chevette over the Malibu!

-Xathros

Not really. I just thought I remembered him reporting that in a thread on the UDI forum.

Me thinks people may be a little too demanding. Although it was one of the more expensive apps I would be sure he wasn't getting rich over it with the small crowd of users.

Think about it. Four conditions have to be true: Android owner, ISY994i owner, awareness of the product, impressed enough to pay $20 for an app.

Which is why, no doubt, we got Mobilinc Connect prioritized over new feature development.  This is a revenue stream. 

That leaves about what? 20 customers? Upgrades don't bring in funds. Apple users are accustomed to paying and paying. Android users are used to getting almost everything free.

I am not used to getting, nor do I expect to get, everything for free.  I believe superior functionality and quality are well worth paying for.  Right now for Android users, Mobilinc is barely worth it's price tag, but given an injection of functionality and quality improvements, I could see myself being willing to pay double the price tag or more.  Stability / minor upgrades don't bring in funds, but product tiering could, feature plugins could, etc...

Off topic:

Having owned and driven both a Malibu and Chevette in years past- I'd take the Chevette over the Malibu!

-Xathros

LOL We owned one as a delivery car way back when loved it!

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Thats just it, if Wes doesn't have time for it then give it to someone else who has interest.  I see so may smaller apps appear and die because everyone has to keep reinventing the wheel and gets bored with it.  Wes has a good product,  its just gotten stagnate.  

I have also made requests for feature updates, but with no avail. The one thing about Wes is, if you email him, he will respond and try to assist. For the most part, most times, I pretty much come out empty handed. Most of my requests have been similar to what is available for Ios, but haven't gotten too far. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I hate chirping in on topics like this but I'm a Mobilinc Android owner so...

With 5.0 coming, if Mobilinc does not get updated it pretty much becomes vaporware. So either get the updates in and continue getting "some" sales, or don't and let it die.

If it's the latter then send the source code over here.

... io_guy, are you saying that you have expertise to develop/modify an Android app?

With kind regards,

Michel

Oh... Could we really be that lucky..?  Please..?  :rolleyes:

I've been holding back for a while since I didn't want to always complain about this, but ISY really needs a polished android app.  Whether that is mobilinc, an in house creation, or another 3rd party.  Home automation has become more mainstream and although most of the other systems out there lack the depth of control and dedication of support ISY provides, a polished app has become standard.  I really think more people would use ISY versus the hub or other options if there were better applications available.

I hate chirping in on topics like this but I'm a Mobilinc Android owner so...

With 5.0 coming, if Mobilinc does not get updated it pretty much becomes vaporware. So either get the updates in and continue getting "some" sales, or don't and let it die.

If it's the latter then send the source code over here.

i am on board with you.  

Hello everyone,

Thanks so very much for the feedback.

io_guy, are you saying that you have expertise to develop/modify an Android app?

With kind regards,

Michel

I think we have a lot of capable programmers here.  The hardest part is just getting the base framework started.  All I think we are asking for is a little consideration for the android side of the app.

MobiLinc
The first native cross platform iOS and Android app for the ISY    <- Cross platform.  I don't think so.  not anymore.

I smell open source project!

That could put ISY994i ahead of many other HA projects and attract/encourage many others to get involved producing other style products for ISY, eg. Android touchpad wall control centres and even decorative wooden frames for the Android wall home control centres.

Archived