Anyone else regret installing a Home Automation system?

jmed999

I regret my original purchase of X-10 home automation equipment.  Talk about unreliable, lack of polished apps, and hardware failure rates :)

Is it safe to say you're talking about waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day? Because if that is the case way back in the day X-10 did in fact offer the public on a very modest price point incredible power and was the first iteration of HA.

I can't honestly say throwing rocks at the company who probably single handily created HA for all of us could be considered a failure.

Now, if you most recently bought X-10 in 2010 onward.

Well, that's on you!

Ha . . .

I found X10 very reliable for module hardware. I found X10 reliable for operation reliability when it was within a reasonable distance from the sending unit.

I found X10 rf bridges horrible. Almost every problem I ever had was due to the RF/X10 units sending out garbage. I had noise flooding from almost every unit I ever used, sooner or later, They would translate commands into All On (sound familiar?) in the middle of the night about once per year.

I view SH as the same company that produced X10. It wreaks of  exactly the same attitude and still has it's mitts in the X10 market, in disguise. :) My guess is most the SH management are from BSR and/or X10 or they just changed their name.

I don't regret my system. I just no longer have time to play with it. It's fairly stable, but it will not be expanded. Just WAAAAAY too much time to manage it. When a switch goes down, I'll replace it. But I've gone as far as I am going to go. I'll wait for this industry to become consumer friendly, and buy that in the future.

I don't regret my system. I just no longer have time to play with it. It's fairly stable, but it will not be expanded. Just WAAAAAY too much time to manage it. When a switch goes down, I'll replace it. But I've gone as far as I am going to go. I'll wait for this industry to become consumer friendly, and buy that in the future.

You just hope the companies send out the "Logic Girls", with the nice features  you need, for in house calls,  to set up your system for you. :)

Is it safe to say you're talking about waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day? Because if that is the case way back in the day X-10 did in fact offer the public on a very modest price point incredible power and was the first iteration of HA.    I can't honestly say throwing rocks at the company who probably single handily created HA for all of us could be considered a failure.

Yes, way back -- I stopped even trying to automated with X-10 back around 2005.  Too many failed modules, devices switching on by themselves or not receiving signals, etc.

I know quite a few people who got so frustrated from dealing with X-10 issues that they gave up on home automation, aren't willing to try the new products, just fed up with the whole thing.

Yes, way back -- I stopped even trying to automated with X-10 back around 2005.  Too many failed modules, devices switching on by themselves or not receiving signals, etc.

I know quite a few people who got so frustrated from dealing with X-10 issues that they gave up on home automation, aren't willing to try the new products, just fed up with the whole thing.

Understood, don't get me wrong I was never one of those people on the X-10 HA train. I knew from watching others there was lots of baby sitting and failure rates never mind a lack of reliability.

My comment to you and others was purely from a technology stand point (good or bad) X-10 ushered in a period where the average Joe could have something operated remotely with very little technology back ground or programming knowledge.

It was the next best thing to the clapper, no?

LMAO . . .

Understood, don't get me wrong I was never one of those people on the X-10 HA train. I knew from watching others there was lots of baby sitting and failure rates never mind a lack of reliability.

My comment to you and others was purely from a technology stand point (good or bad) X-10 ushered in a period where the average Joe could have something operated remotely with very little technology back ground or programming knowledge.

It was the next best thing to the clapper, no?

LMAO . . .

Oh gawd! My brain fell down and I can't clap anymore!

I never learned to clap without waking myself up. When I finally did, everytime I clapped, to turn the lights on, I would pee the bed. :)

Bad hardware can definitely give the HA enthusiast a bad taste in his/her mouth. usually this can be resolved but can be difficult for the no-techie, for sure.

Years back a guy developed a signal repeater /  booster for X10 and people using it still swear by it 100%.

• 1 year later...

Archived