"Our thermostat sucks!"

Andrew

For this specific instance lets just say it's a current home that vents to the outside. Nobody is going to vent stale bad (humid) air into the attic, right?

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Of course, you're asking a question that can't accurately be answered. You stipulated all air is bad and humid.

I don't have bad humid air in my house.

Teken,

I though WHF vents directly into the attic space? I know venting bathroom exhaust fans into the attic space is a bad idea :)

paulbates,

my water heater is in the attic so that won't be a problem, thanks :)

Thanks, for all your suggestions, guys :)

My house is 2 story ~2600 sq/ft with 2 HVAC systems (upstairs and downstairs) so I'm still thinking/deciding. Ability to vent the house with the cool FRESH air would be great.

Venstar has a generalized video on free cooling, though the control portion in geared around their colortouch thermostat. It turns it into a 2 stage cooling system. If parameters are met, it cools the house stage 1 via free cooling. If free cooling parameters are not met, or free cooling won't meet the call from thermostat, it kicks on the compressor as stage 2. Its probably worth letting a venstar thermostat control it. By monitoring stage one and stage 2 outputs through venlink on the ISY, you could log running minutes of stage 1 and stage 2 to know how much value you are getting, even rough estimate a savings. 

They set their free cooling threshold at 60 degrees, I would say probably higher than that here, at least 64 (there would be a couple of degree deadband and it has to meet a 2 degree difference in the house. This you would observe and configure)

Now, I am thinking about this all over again! I'm having my AC units checked out for the season next week, I will ask again...

Venstar has a generalized video on free cooling, though the control portion in geared around their colortouch thermostat. It turns it into a 2 stage cooling system. If parameters are met, it cools the house stage 1 via free cooling. If free cooling parameters are not met, or free cooling won't meet the call from thermostat, it kicks on the compressor as stage 2. Its probably worth letting a venstar thermostat control it. By monitoring stage one and stage 2 outputs through venlink on the ISY, you could log running minutes of stage 1 and stage 2 to know how much value you are getting, even rough estimate a savings.

They set their free cooling threshold at 60 degrees, I would say probably higher than that here, at least 64 (there would be a couple of degree deadband and it has to meet a 2 degree difference in the house. This you would observe and configure)

Now, I am thinking about this all over again! I'm having my AC units checked out for the season next week, I will ask again...

This is great. Now I really want one.

Archived