Audible Notification for Insteon Open/Close Sensor

AgentAR9

I have several Insteon open/close (triggerlinc) sensors on doors and windows.  I have some of them programmed through an ISY-994i to flash specific lights when they are opened and send me a text message.  My husband is somewhat annoyed with the flashing lights, plus it's not helping me to know exactly which has been opened.  The text message is ok for me and helpful when I am away from the house, but I was wondering does anyone know of a way to use something audible in the house for the notification in addition to (or in place of) of the light flashes in the program?  Like if I connected some ytpe of bell, chime, or other device to an Insteon I/O linc or to my smartenit EZIO8SA module?  It would be great to assign a different sound for each thing, 3 or 4 at the most so I could identify by sound which one was opened.

I'm open to any suggestions.  I just need to know if there is equipment out there to do this with.  To go one step further, it would be perfect to be able to do this with something that I could record a voice notification on, such as "back door opened" and have to program play that recording when to sensor is triggered for the back door.  May be a stretch, but would be nice.

Any thoughts on how to use an audible notification?

Thanks!

Thank you guys for the replies.  I am so glad there is something out there to do this!

Sorry to ask, but can someone get me started on how to set up the push notifications or Ghost Event?  I have several tablets throughout the house which I use as 'house remote' and I do have Tasker.  I would like to know more aobut how you two have these set up.

Thanks

I have audible notification (voice) being output via my sonos speakers.

ISY sends commands to an API (hosted on a Raspi) which then controls the speakers.

It's possible to even define which of the speakers it uses - anything from all the speakers to just a single one. (I have speakers in every room).

With the ability to now use parameters in the network calls it is fairly easy to combine this with NF technologies such that the system knows which room you are currently in and selects the speaker in that room as the output device for any voice alerts. It does mean that you always have to have your phone on your person (or some other device that the NF system can detect e.g there are some systems that use a key fob) so it's not ideal but the best that can be easily achieved today.

Peter.

Network Resource is a term used in the ISY using the network module, an optional ISY extra.

Jimbo, thanks for the links, but it's pretty greek to me. I have managed to install the apps and set up accounts, but I don't know what the instructions mean by create a network resource. Where do I go to do that?

Edit: removed echo quote

• 4 months later...

Might I suggest the ELK series siren and voice modules?  http://www.elkproducts.com/siren_voice_drivers_and_recordable_modules.html  Although they require a separate power supply, these seem to work well standalone from their intended purpose.  And, they are not overly expensive.

You have to watch your fonts and their text aspects when you post in this forum. Font attributes seem to initialise randomly. You can click edit, select the text, and then change the size or probably undo the subscript.

I can't even make out what you posted on my screen.

You have to watch your fonts and their text aspects when you post in this forum. Font attributes seem to initialise randomly. You can click edit, select the text, and then change the size or probably undo the subscript.

I can't even make out what you posted on my screen.

LOL

I have several Insteon open/close (triggerlinc) sensors on doors and windows.  I have some of them programmed through an ISY-994i to flash specific lights when they are opened and send me a text message.  My husband is somewhat annoyed with the flashing lights, plus it's not helping me to know exactly which has been opened.  The text message is ok for me and helpful when I am away from the house, but I was wondering does anyone know of a way to use something audible in the house for the notification in addition to (or in place of) of the light flashes in the program?  Like if I connected some ytpe of bell, chime, or other device to an Insteon I/O linc or to my smartenit EZIO8SA module?  It would be great to assign a different sound for each thing, 3 or 4 at the most so I could identify by sound which one was opened.

I'm open to any suggestions.  I just need to know if there is equipment out there to do this with.  To go one step further, it would be perfect to be able to do this with something that I could record a voice notification on, such as "back door opened" and have to program play that recording when to sensor is triggered for the back door.  May be a stretch, but would be nice.

Any thoughts on how to use an audible notification?

Thanks!

I believe this is possible using Amazon Echo... I'm waiting for UDI's app to be approved before wading into it though :)

Jon...

Archived