Insteon Controlled PHEV Charging

paulbates

I'm looking at a Plugin Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) and calculating if it's worth it to install a standalone charging station and get discounted power. That brings up this topic:

Though the car I'm looking at can be configured in-dash for scheduled charging to take advantage of the power discount windows automatically, I'd rather not use that feature and have it on an Insteon 220 switch. I'd let the ISY manage charging during discount windows. The benefit of this approach is the ability to use a keypad button (and other means) inside the house to override the schedule and charge it anyway at the higher rate when needed.

Have you used an insteon 220v switch with a dedicated circuit and PEV charger? Other advantages, disadvantages or things to know?

Paul

To be fair to Smartlabs / Smarthome there has been a few hardware revisions to the N.O. unit. For what ever reason the N.C. 240 Load Controller either doesn't sell or they just didn't think to upgrade the hardware on these units. Both units are identical in construction and firmware from a 10K view.

But, if you were to purchase a N.O. unit you would clearly see that its hardware revision has been updated. This can not be said for the N.C. unit as stated above?

I have two of the latest N.O. units reconfigured for N.C. duty but have not installed them for actual use. Only for beta testing and cycling validation. As Stu indicated a more robust and proven method is to use a purpose built contact-er which allows huge inrush current and no worries about contact arc, bounce, or thermal break down.

The customer reviews of this product spans many many years and the bulk of them are negative and all indicate one of the following issues during failure.

1. Click of death: This is where the device seems to cycle its relays over and over again.

2. No COM control: This is where Insteon signals have no impact on activating or deactivating the device.

3. Manual Control: This is where the devices physical switch fails to operate the device at all.

My plan moving forward is to use these two devices for a Alpha project currently under development. Its supposed to be a proof of concept while integrating with another 3rd party device which I have been asked to participate. 

Archived