iPod Touch / iPhone

DEGoodrich

Hi Michel,

This is just a suggestion but... I like the flexibility of the ISY's Web UI and while a full blown app would be nice, I am not sure it is really necessary. There are numerous things you can do with iPhone specific meta tags that would make your web UI very functional under safari. See this thread:

http://ajaxian.com/archives/iphone-full-screen-webapps

The iPhone/iTouch makes great controller platform for the ISY. With a few more simple steps it could be awesome and you don't even need Apples approval. :-) Just my $.02

Thx,

Hello jdva,

This is excellent information and you are 100% correct: if we can make it even a little more iPhone friendly, then it would be great.

One request: would it be possible for you to send us a static page (with devices and scenes) and with the parameters you used to get the desired effects? Then, all we have to do is to check for the user agent and present the same structure. I would sincerely appreciate it.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

This is just a suggestion but... I like the flexibility of the ISY's Web UI and while a full blown app would be nice, I am not sure it is really necessary. There are numerous things you can do with iPhone specific meta tags that would make your web UI very functional under safari. See this thread:

http://ajaxian.com/archives/iphone-full-screen-webapps

The iPhone/iTouch makes great controller platform for the ISY. With a few more simple steps it could be awesome and you don't even need Apples approval. :-) Just my $.02

Thx,

Michel Kohanim

One request: would it be possible for you to send us a static page (with devices and scenes) and with the parameters you used to get the desired effects? Then, all we have to do is to check for the user agent and present the same structure. I would sincerely appreciate it.

I don't have anything yet but I will take a stab at it and let you know.

I think the iTouch makes a great controller. Use the html scene/device lists and double-tapping on each list will zoom in automatically. Good luck.

Thanks, it works.

Is there a way to adjust the zoom.

It zooms to much now.

A simple viewport tag would fix the zooming issue and has been suggested for months. :wink:

az1324,

As per your instructions, the following code was implemented in April of this year. I am not sure why it does not work:

p+="meta name=viewport content=width=320; initial-scale=1.0"; //for safari/iphone
p+="meta name=format-detection content=telephone=no"; // For safari/iphone prevent showing times as phone #'s

Would you be kind enough to verify that you are NOT actually getting these tags in your iPhone (is there such a thing as view source?).

With kind regards,

Michel

I think the iTouch makes a great controller. Use the html scene/device lists and double-tapping on each list will zoom in automatically. Good luck.

Thanks, it works.

Is there a way to adjust the zoom.

It zooms to much now.

A simple viewport tag would fix the zooming issue and has been suggested for months. :wink:

Hey Michael. My system has been down for many months for various reasons and just got it up and running again the other day. I have a user agent for iphone browser in my firefox and I do not and have not ever gotten the meta tag in the source for the pages (now on firmware 2.6.8). I guess this is a problem with user agent detection? I have however confirmed that if I add

to the header of the html pages (no other changes) and serve to the phone from a test server that it zooms perfectly on the browser.

Since more mobile browsers are starting to read viewport tags a better way to implement this is

Please also note that internal quotes are necessary and not sure where the tag brackets are in your code, but regardless nothing shows up in the source.

Seems like you would just want to include this in the header always because browsers that don't use the tag will ignore it and browsers that do will zoom properly using the device-width parameter.

Thanks.

Hello az1324,

Thanks so very much for the update. I think you are 100% correct: we were not sensing iPhone user-agent. I am so very sorry. I just made the changes and you should see the changes in 2.6.10 in a couple of days.

Thanks again and with kind regards,

Michel

Hey Michael. My system has been down for many months for various reasons and just got it up and running again the other day. I have a user agent for iphone browser in my firefox and I do not and have not ever gotten the meta tag in the source for the pages (now on firmware 2.6.8). I guess this is a problem with user agent detection? I have however confirmed that if I add

to the header of the html pages (no other changes) and serve to the phone from a test server that it zooms perfectly on the browser.

Since more mobile browsers are starting to read viewport tags a better way to implement this is

Please also note that internal quotes are necessary and not sure where the tag brackets are in your code, but regardless nothing shows up in the source.

Seems like you would just want to include this in the header always because browsers that don't use the tag will ignore it and browsers that do will zoom properly using the device-width parameter.

Thanks.

Hello az1324,

Thanks so very much for the update. I think you are 100% correct: we were not sensing iPhone user-agent. I am so very sorry. I just made the changes and you should see the changes in 2.6.10 in a couple of days.

Thanks again and with kind regards,

Michel

Works now! Thanks. Makes a big difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Have either of you noticed that on iPhone (or any mobile device) it seems impossible to clear the cache when you visit your ISY? Any device that I log in on, using the DEVICES, SCENES or PROGRAMS remains in the memory of the device somehow. Even if I clear history, cache, etc. When I go back to those pages, it never asks me for my ID or Password again.

Any thoughts on this?

I am not seeing that behavior on my iPhone 3G. I have to enter my username/password each time I access my ISY, regardless of whether or not I have cleared my history and cache.

Have either of you noticed that on iPhone (or any mobile device) it seems impossible to clear the cache when you visit your ISY? Any device that I log in on, using the DEVICES, SCENES or PROGRAMS remains in the memory of the device somehow. Even if I clear history, cache, etc. When I go back to those pages, it never asks me for my ID or Password again.

Any thoughts on this?

I actually usually have to input my user name and password on the iphone.

I was just playing around though and found even after clearing cookies, cache, and history I didn't have to input user name and password.

After a reboot I did. It seems the files aren't cleared till a reboot.

Any thoughts on this?

Any thoughts on this?

I see the same thing on my Windows Mobile 5 phone... it does not ask me for ID and password. I wonder if there is a password file that I can delete?

Ruben

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...