How to disable doorbell chime yet know it's pushed?

atmarosi

I picked up an iolinc and an elk doorbell module and got it working with my doorbell just fine on the sense part (doorbell press -> insteon signal generated).

I would like to be able to disable the chime yet know it's been pressed (scenario: I'm in the backyard while the kid is asleep yet I have a guest at the door - insteon could notify me and not ring the bell). I hooked up the leads going to the chime to the iolinc's relay however when I open the contacts of the iolinc relay the sensor doesn't get the doorbell press as the power is removed and the elk looks for a draw to "signal".

Any ideas?

I thought about doing this as well, but decided against it. How would a visitor know that the doorbell was working? Most people I know would, upon pressing the button and not hearing the chime start pounding on the door. Thus negating the whole reason!

I have a motion sensor on my porch that pings my phone and flashes a light. This usually means I can get to the door before the visitor needs to push the Bell.

The visitor might start mashing the bell - but they would still not wake my kid up :)

If they knock, it won't wake the kid up either and by then I would be on the way to the door since I got a notification. But this wouldn't work currently as the door bell button press doesn't get sensed when I open the circuit to the chime.....

The motion sounds good - but that's one more thing to mount and a bit of an eye sore....

Geeesh. I would get a text message 5 minutes after the visitor left, sometimes. I couldn't rely on that system to notify me before the visitor beat the door down and was driving down the street again.  SMS is background processing for the mobile providers and gets delivered when the comms are not busy.

I used to be able to rely on Blackberry BBMs for instant messages but even they can come in an hour later lately.

The light flash sounds good but I doubt I would see lights outside on the deck in the sun. Insteon really needs a chime.

If you went directly into the IO Link, isn't there a way to disconnect the input  from the output contact? I created and wired my own system with a relay but the whole thing nullifies your Elk setup.

Geeesh. I would get a text message 5 minutes after the visitor left, sometimes. I couldn't rely on that system to notify me before the visitor beat the door down and was driving down the street again. SMS is background processing for the mobile providers and gets delivered when the comms are not busy.

Who said SMS? I agree, SMS is sometimes delayed. I use a combination of Pushover and Tasker/Autoremote and both are virtually instant.

Who said SMS? I agree, SMS is sometimes delayed. I use a combination of Pushover and Tasker/Autoremote and both are virtually instant.

Pushover or Prowl/Notify My Android are great, I use them both, I use NMA to receive notifications from the ISY every time my alarm is armed/disarmed/etc. I use Pushover for work so I use NMA to keep them separate.

I picked up an iolinc and an elk doorbell module and got it working with my doorbell just fine on the sense part (doorbell press -> insteon signal generated).

I would like to be able to disable the chime yet know it's been pressed (scenario: I'm in the backyard while the kid is asleep yet I have a guest at the door - insteon could notify me and not ring the bell). I hooked up the leads going to the chime to the iolinc's relay however when I open the contacts of the iolinc relay the sensor doesn't get the doorbell press as the power is removed and the elk looks for a draw to "signal".

Any ideas?

What is the voltage of the bell transformer (or chime)?

Who has people coming over to their house unexpectedly? No one comes over to my place without texting me first to make sure I am home. When they get here they text me again. What you guys dinosaurs? No one uses a doorbell or landline anymore! Get with the program, disable the doorbell and use text messages.

Who has people coming over to their house unexpectedly? No one comes over to my place without texting me first to make sure I am home. When they get here they text me again. What you guys dinosaurs? No one uses a doorbell or landline anymore! Get with the program, disable the doorbell and use text messages.

USPS, UPS, FedEx, OnTrac to name a few. My neighbors and god kids to name a couple more.

Hah, I just spent an ungodly amount of time and money so I could install a doorbell in my 65 year old house that didn't have one (of course so I could hook it to my automation system)

Hit the doorbell in my house, the porch light comes on after dark and the lights inside flash.

We got a package, and the delivery guy rang the door bell and woke my kid up. The best done delivery companies can do is s 4 hour window and leave the package. But I'm still interested in getting this door bell status to work. Going to see if I can figure out how to hook up the 24v bulb with an ioLinc so the load remains.

Well there are a few methods. :)

Use a pink noise generator in the kid's room.

Ring the doorbell every five minutes while he/she sleeps to condition a lack of response.

Wait until they are teenagers sleeping, then you won't be able to get to answer the door if you try. You have to cook pizza for that   :)

Use a 24 volt bulb such as this one to be a load instead of the chime. Candelabra sockets are easy to find.

You can also use an I/O Linc to switch between the two.

This sounds like the best idea.  Using an alternate load and an IO linc to switch between them.  And just to really be sure everything likes the load, use the proper chime device for both loads, but do something to the speaker on the "quiet" one so that it makes little or no noise.

Well there are a few methods. :)

Use a pink noise generator in the kid's room.

Ring the doorbell every five minutes while he/she sleeps to condition a lack of response.

Wait until they are teenagers sleeping, then you won't be able to get to answer the door if you try. You have to cook pizza for that :)

@Larryllix - Sounds a lot like someone who has no kids ;) but its ok I have no kids either.

Funny thing is when I built my home I specifically said NO DOORBELL and they thought I was nuts! I work from home and hate random people coming to my door while on the phone with a client ringing the doorbell. Sad part now is although even though I am still glad I did it but when someone I dont know comes they always ask "wheres the doorbell?". Feel like putting on a fake button just so I dont have to hear the question anymore lol

I did run two Cat6 lines from the front door to my AV racks/Elk panel for "one day" but that day still hasnt come. I was thinking about some sort of video intercom/camera connected to my iphone/tv/computer. So if they push a button it rings my iphone. If the iphone is on silent because I am working I am not bothered but when I am in the backyard and have guests coming I can see when they are here. Add it to an automatic door lock to let them in would be nice too. Could always add it to ring my Elk speaker as well if I wanted too. Even better would be a pathway sensor so if someone drives or walks up it notifies me before they even are at the door! Then add a slight current to the doorbell button so they get a slight shock each time they ring it if they are solicitors. lol Pure Evil

How would I use an IO Linc to switch between the loads...?  Not clear on that part of the setup - could I bother someone to enlighten me please?  Thanks!

Connect the chime to NC on the I/O Linc and the bulb to NO if you want the chime to be the default as shown. If you prefer that the light is the default, then reverse which connects to NC an NO.

post-625-0-39119900-1440616962_thumb.jpg

There are lots of 24V bulbs that draw more than 21 watts. An appropriate socket is also needed. Candelabra is easiest to find and work with. Here's an 18 watt bulb that may work, but certainly two in parallel will.

Brian,

I agree. That's why I linked to the 18 watt bulb. There are many more greater than 21 watt 24 volt bulbs, but I didn't find any with a candelabra base.

BTW, if the actual voltage is less than 24 volts, then the power will be reduced as well.

18W @ 24V = 12W @ 16V = 9W @ 12V

Archived