ISY doesn't work, every device shows red ! and cannot communicate

edokid

I'm running 4.3.10 I believe it is and have been for awhile.  Have had zero problems with my ISY until a few days ago when I noticed that lamp timers weren't coming on nor were motion lights.  The ISY was flashing a red light by error even though everything was connected, so I restarted it and it worked.  Yesterday same thing, nothing would work but no error light.  When I tried to use the admin console, it shows every single device with a red exclamation point and pops up like 50 pop ups saying can't communicate with device that I then have to press OK on one at a time.  I restarted the ISY, moved it and the PLM somewhere else, but same thing.  When I use MobiLinc with MobiLinc Connect, it says my ISY is unreachable (but I can access it locally for some reason).  It's hard to check anything in the admin console as there's like a permanent progress bar going across the screen that just says VAR 2 11.  What further makes zero sense is that all my Z-Wave devices shows the same thing, red exclamation point and cannot communicate, so clearly ISY as the issue.  Very frustrated as I gave up on HA months ago since I was tired of constantly having to manage and maintain the system to keep things working, then a couple months ago got back into it and set everything all back up, now here it's down again.  Any ideas for what to check, not sure what to try since that progress bar saying Querying System over and over and over prevents me from using any of the menus or viewing error logs.  I was able to go to upgrade and tried putting 4.2.30 back on it which it took but now always just says it's in safe mode and nothing works at all so put it back to 4.3.10 but same issue as before cannot communicate with anything.  Is there any way to test the ISY for hardware problems in case I want to sell it, so I can at least know I'm not selling someone a brick?  Thanks!

How old is the 2413S PLM? Please indicate the production hardware information on the back of the units case. What does the ISY Help say this PLM firmware is?

If and when you unplug the PLM wait ten seconds before inserting it back.

While the PLM is unplugged ensure the ISY is also unplugged.

After the PLM is powered up insert the ISY and let it calm down as it completes the query process.

Just go do something for 10-15 minutes and then run a PLM link table count and report back how many are present.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

K I'll try that in a bit, PLM is probably around 11-13 months old but again the Z-Wave devices all do the same thing.  I have left it awhile though, like unplugged it for awhile moved it downstairs plugged it in hours ago, still shows it so not sure.  I'm not sure how to find the PLM firmware, it says just Firmware 4.3.10 if that's it but I think that's ISY.  UI is same.  All the back of the PLM says is PowerLinc Serial (Dual-Band) #2413S.  There's nothing else, just a legal warning about patents and Input 120VAC, 7W, 60Hz. Indoor use only.  

Tried your suggestion, left everything unplugged awhile, same issue.  I assume I do the PLM table link count by going under diagnostics to the PLM Links Table option?  If so then it doesn't work, it opens a pop up but pressing Start or Count does nothing as the system is just doing that progress bar with the VAR 2 11 over and over.  I press Start and left it for 5 minutes and pressed Save and this is what the file shows it outputs:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<isy.diag>

<title>PLM Links Table</title>

<insteon.lincs/>

</isy.diag>

Again really doubt it's the PLM as the first pop up that's open right now is Cannot Communicate With Schlate Door Lock (ZW007_1) Please check connections.

I'll try doing a factory reset on it and adding a device or two back just to make sure it works as I'd hate to sell someone a lemon.  Does anyone know how to wipe it?  Only thing close seems to be Restore ISY but that wants to restore a backup versus wiping everything to factory defaults.

post-5606-0-69366200-1440960908_thumb.png

Hi edokid,

Please reboot ISY and log back into the Admin Console. If you see a Safe Mode dialog then the PLM is dead. Alternatively - and after reboot - go to Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Info/Status. If you are using the regular firmware for ISY, then Z-Wave will not work either. If you want Z-Wave functionality back, you may want to use:

With kind regards,

Michel

When I do the tools diagnostics and PLM Info/Status it pops up : 2C.8.F8 v9B / Connected.

I am using the Z-Wave firmware.  My thermostat works fine (I had to disable every single device in the ISY to regain control) and it works oddly, but my other Z-Wave switches and devices do not.  No Insteon devices work at all.

All the back of the PLM says is PowerLinc Serial (Dual-Band) #2413S.  There's nothing else, just a legal warning about patents and Input 120VAC, 7W, 60Hz. Indoor use only.  

On the back of the 2413S PLM is a sticker which also has the Insteon ID. The first sticker will indicate a cryptic value like Rev. 1C 1438 or 3814 as an example.

The 1C indicates the hardware version and the 1438 indicates 2014, produced in the 38th week of that year. Or as indicated that value may be reversed showing 3814 which is the same thing just written differently.

Assuming the 2413S PLM has died for what ever reason its well within the 2 year warranty period. I would follow what Michel has indicated and add the following to make sure you have a point of reference.

Since I wrote my initial reply on my cell phone I wanted to clarify my statement. Lets assume nothing for a moment but perform some basic tests and should be done as follows.

1. Unplug the ISY Series Controller.

2. Unplug the 2413S PLM.

3. Verify that all cables leading to and from the PLM are firmly connected to the ISY Series Controller.

4. After waiting at least 10-20 seconds plug back the 2413S PLM insuring its not connected to ANY UPS, Computer, Cell charger etc.

5. Apply power to the ISY Series Controller and let it come up.

6. Login to the Admin Console as quickly as you can and at the *Root* disable all programs and hit save. This action may take a few tries if the system tries to query the entire system.

7. To avoid this (assuming) you can go to the *Settings* tab and uncheck query on reboot and select save.

8. With both steps 6 & 7 completed reboot the ISY Series Controller again.

9. At that point please run the PLM link table count. If it shows zero or something stupid like 14 links. You have a couple options moving forward. Call in to the Smarthome Tech Support line and get the RMA process going and request a cross dock for a replacement 2413S PLM.

10. While you wait for the new unit to arrive you can (Try) a PLM restore. This process is outlined in the UDI WiKi and takes a considerable amount of time so start that process and go do something else. If this PLM restore completes in under 30-60 seconds its more than likely the PLM is bad.

I've tried it on a few outlets they all do the same thing.  I have all Insteon devices disabled and can access the ISY but still no go.  The link table says 0 now but that's because I reset the ISY as I'm trying to just get it all back to default settings to make sure it works so I can sell it but having issues.  There's no other sticker on the back of the PLM, maybe it got worn off not sure but definitely none with the Insteon ID on it.

I tried doing Reset PLM on the ISY which took a few minutes then says:

PLATFORM_ERRORS--7

IDBFAMZW007_1/lep/4

Failed resetting the PLM

-200000/-30

How do I reset the ISY?  All I want to do right now is reset it as well so that I can try doing everything from scratch to see if it's the PLM that's the issue, so that I can sell just the ISY, or if the PLM works after a complete reset, then sell them both together.  I can't seem to find that, only ISY99i which says hold the reset button down, but I don't see that on the 994 and can't find any menu option to wipe it and delete all devices in the system?  Right now just trying to delete each one at a time but it's taking more than 5 minutes per device!

It's more likely the PLM has failed and thus the ISY is unable to communicate to the Insteon network.

Is there any particular reason you feel compelled to sell off one the greatest HA controllers on the market?

I can assure you what ever the problem is it can be solved.

It's just too much work to maintain as I have like 100 devices and while it works most of the time, it's too frustrating relying on it when like the other day, notice fans aren't turning off by themselves and I see the ISY flashing ERR and have to restart it and then it works fine.  If the PLM is failed then I definitely have no interest in keeping this since it would be outside any 1 year typical warranty, and even if not I'm sure I'd have to pay to send this one back in and I don't need all this stuff that badly.  We already removed a bunch of stuff, like all the motion lights in the bathrooms as the wife said her friends and family thought they were cameras :S.

It looks like it is the PLM though as the Z-Wave stuff all works now.  The few lights weren't because at the time I had it at a different outlet to test the PLM but I guess was too far out of range for the next switch.  So everything works Z-Wave wise, just nothing Insteon.  So may keep it just for Z-Wave as 90% of my Insteon network is unrelated to the ISY anyway (things like KPLs or virtual 3 way switches mainly).  Still frustrating though that it lasts a whole year and is dead.  Will see what happens though once I remove the last Insteon device from it.

Hi edokid,

I have to repeat my question: did you reboot ISY (unplug the power and then plug it back in)? If so, what do you get when you go to Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Info/Status.

With respect to ISY Error Light blinking, is it error only or error and mem lights simultaneously? If the latter, then you have configured ISY with a static IP address and there's another device with the same IP (IP Conflict).

Although factory resetting ISY will not fix any of the issues you have outlined above - and I strongly recommend against it - here is the link:

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Restarting_Your_ISY-99i

And, with respect to the PLM - and as far as I know - PLMs have a 2 year warranty. So, if you are within two years, you won't have to pay.

And, finally, I am not so sure I understand why you have so many problems. This said, I am quite confident that once you find the root cause, all will be well.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Few updates, I did reboot it and I get the same thing every time when I go to Tools Diagnostics PLM Info/Status, it opens a pop up that says: 2C.8.F8 v9B / Connected.  That's all the pop up says every time I do it.

However now Z-Wave doesn't work either.  When I click the Z-Wave menu bar at the top of the screen it says: Z-Wave Dongle not responding.  Then second option is Upgrade Z-Wave Firmware.  So chose that but did nothing.  Door lock now instead gives me On, Off, then 1%, 2%, 3% etc options for it like a dimmer switch, and 2 other z-Wave switches just say not responding.   Just noticed as well every single program I had is completely gone now.  I haven't done anything other than move it and the PLM to a few other outlets to test, and then disable/enable and now delete a few Insteon devices.  So I have no idea what happened here, overnight the whole thing seems to have gone haywire.

Also frequently I get a pop up that says:

Could not open config file to read

/CONF/INSTEG.OPT

Could not open file

/CONF/PORTALS.PSF

Hi edokid,

Ah ... I wished you wouldn't do all these updates and resets. They just make things worse. After the upgrade of Z-Wave dongle, you will lose all your Z-Wave devices (those that worked) and now you will have to exclude/include them again, they might get different IDs, and you will have to update all your programs accordingly.

Before you go any further, please:

1. Open Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer

2. Change the Level to 3

3. Query any of your INSTEON devices (if you have any) and then copy the contents of the Event Viewer to clipboard and reply back with it

Last questions: do you have any INSTEON thermostats? Do you have any baby monitors?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

No worries since at this point I'm just trying to confirm it works so that I'm not selling a defective device is all so losing the Z-Wave devices was fine.  Another update (and no, no Insteon Thermostats or anything, it is Z-Wave).  Every time I log into the admin console now it says I'm in safe mode and the PLM shows as 0.0.0.0 so definitely seems like something up with it.  I have deleted every device except 4 empty scenes which it will not remove, just does a pop up saying Request Failed so was going to try and physically restart them both now see what happens.

Okay here's what makes no sense now.  I rebooted both ISY and PLM and all my programs are back etc.  I went to Start Linking for Insteon device, and the PLM chirped but some error popped up so I closed it.  Now when I do it, the PLM chirps, I hold set on the other device, it and the PLM both chirp like it was linked, but the ISY doesn't even respond, just sits on the screen asking me to pick Remove Existing Links etc.

I'll test it tomorrow as I have a serial to usb cable at the office from when I used to use Indigo, so will test the PLM with Indigo as I still have it on my Mac and at least rule it out.

I'm still not 100% sure it's the PLM but emailed Smart whatever it is that makes it to see what they say as it does say 2 year warranty.  I put the Z-Wave only firmware on the ISY to just use my Z-Wave devices otherwise it only goes into safe mode (if I do get a PLM again later can I put the reg firmware on and have everything maintained or does it wipe it?)  Anyway I added a few Z-Wave switches, worked fine for 2 minutes.  Now some work some say cannot communicate with device, and I keep getting a pop up in the admin console saying I/O Error: ProxyDevice shown below.   Healing the network does nothing and doing so just made EVERY device now say cannot communicate, and shows a red exclamation point on them exactly the same way the Insteon devices would.  How do I know if it's the ISY or not as everyone is quick to blame the PLM but as I've said several times Z-Wave does not work either.   Also would point out that the ISY is in the exact same place it has been for the past year, same with the Z-Wave devices nothing has been moved.  

post-5606-0-33095900-1441027959_thumb.png

post-5606-0-74203000-1441028124_thumb.png

post-5606-0-07190600-1441028257_thumb.png

Well you can certainly hard reset the ISY outlined by the link Michel provided.

At that point you will know right away. It could also be a bad Micro SD card on the controller but not likely. It could also be the PSU for the controller again not likely and both of which UDI does not make but simply buys from other vendors which also includes the PLM.

UDI has nothing to do with the never ending failures of Smartlabs products such as the PLM which is well known to expire in two years.

Hi edokid,

Socket connection errors are related to the computer not having connection to ISY. This happens in three cases:

--a. Your laptop loses network connectivity

--b. Your Firewall software is blocking communications with ISY (http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Configure_Firewall_Software)

--c. ISY is rebooting

It's quite easy to know whether or not the issue is ISY has rebooted:

--1. Close the Admin Console

--2. Log back in to the Admin Console

---a. If you cannot log back in, check the status of lights on the front of ISY

---b. If you can log back in, go to Tools | Diagnostics | System Status and check the up time

And, it seems that going back and forth on the forum might not be the most efficient way of addressing this issue. If you wish, please submit a ticket (links below) and include your Tools | Error Log with a link to this post.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel, I didn't know I could do a ticket, I thought this was the only support.  I actually threw out the ISY and the PLM this morning on my way to work lol.  Dramatic I know but just tired of trying to make it all work so decided to pack it in and tossed it all in the bin.  I feel so liberated having control of my house again haha.   Especially if the PLM is only going to last at most 2 years then I'm not into this so much that I want to spend $100 every 2 years replacing it.  I did do the factory reset you suggested on the ISY and that made the Z-Wave work for a bit, but after about an hour it was back to the same thing saying cannot communicate with anything.  At the end of the day all I really care about is having control of my thermostat remotely and seeing if the alarm is on.  Alarm has its own interface, and I have a Wink hub that I got for free at a Home Depot promo that I'll just use for the thermostat.  Almost all my other Insteon gear is all direct scenes and virtual switches that weren't even on the ISY anyway.  Thanks for your help though!

Thanks Michel, I didn't know I could do a ticket, I thought this was the only support.  I actually threw out the ISY and the PLM this morning on my way to work lol.  Dramatic I know but just tired of trying to make it all work so decided to pack it in and tossed it all in the bin.  I feel so liberated having control of my house again haha.   Especially if the PLM is only going to last at most 2 years then I'm not into this so much that I want to spend $100 every 2 years replacing it.  I did do the factory reset you suggested on the ISY and that made the Z-Wave work for a bit, but after about an hour it was back to the same thing saying cannot communicate with anything.  At the end of the day all I really care about is having control of my thermostat remotely and seeing if the alarm is on.  Alarm has its own interface, and I have a Wink hub that I got for free at a Home Depot promo that I'll just use for the thermostat.  Almost all my other Insteon gear is all direct scenes and virtual switches that weren't even on the ISY anyway.  Thanks for your help though!

Well, that is unfortunate to hear to say the least. 

But sometimes easy and simple is the way to go for those who have modest needs. It would have been very helpful to identify root cause of the problem. As I know others could have learned from your experience and perhaps helped UDI identify possible unknown issues.

Good Luck!

Hey everyone, don't worry it didn't last long, stayed out there about 30 minutes but I'm a sucker for punishment.  I'm REALLY confused now though because I got a new PLM and it's the same!

The other night I thought lets keep it simple, so I hooked up my Insteon Hub, the first one I bought just over a year ago.  So I start adding my devices, they all seem to add no problem, all my SwitchLinc's and 2 LampLincs.  I go to make some scenes, no problem.  Then one scene just won't create, keeps failing.  I notice the LED on the hub is flashing non stop, when I always thought it was solid blue and only flashes with traffic but not sure.  Since then I haven't been able to get it to make a scene at all, and even adding other devices to it would fail.

So I then downloaded a trial for HomeSeer since the one plug in supports the Hub as a PLM.  Some devices would add but others wouldn't.  The Hub would chirp and go into linking mode but then never link when I'd press set on anything else.  I factory reset it, the devices, same thing.  Tried tons of different outlets, same thing.  Finally was able to get the devices to link, but noticed they all showed like 25%-44% for comm reliability, showing tons of dropped packets and retransmissions.  Thought maybe one of them was glitching, so I removed some, moved some around, turned off half the circuits, absolutely nothing.  I then even tried linking some as a direct scene, as in holding set on one Switchlinc until it chirps, then do the same on another, but it just never links, even 2 Switchlincs in the same 2 gang box won't.  I was able to get it to a few times, and the scenes work fine after that, but then I try another and just nothing.

I then tried HouseLinc, same thing would read the device links but then never add anything.  So I figured the Hub must ALSO be dead like my PLM.  So I chucked it and bought a brand new PLM on Amazon today.  It gets here, and it's doing the same thing!  I absolutely cannot get anything to link.  I tried using HomeSeer and the now the ISY.  If I go to Tools > Diagnostics > PLM Info/Status it says 34.E7.6B v9E / Connected.  When I try to add a device it chirps and goes into linking mode but they just full on will not register.  

What I don't get is that nothing in the house changed other than I moved one Switchlinc from the 2nd floor replacing it with a normal switch and moved it to the 3rd floor where it worked fine.  I thought maybe that one was corrupt or something but pulling the air gap still doesn't help.  I have tons of Insteon devices as well so it can't be a signal problem especially as there's 6 Switchlinc's alone all within 20 feet of one another.  I even put the PLM on the same circuit as one switch and it still won't link.  Been going around the house unplugging things as well.  Even if it was a signal issue I feel like SOMETHING would have linked by now as I keep moving the PLM or other devices around.  It acts like I have the PLM at my house and I'm trying to link something next door.

I'm at a loss, any ideas?

Quick edit, I tried a RemoteLinc for fun figured will see how a RF device works, and it linked instantly.  I connected my old PLM which I thought was dead, and still have HomeSeer up and now suddenly devices are all registering to it without any problem even though a moment ago with the new PLM in the exact same outlet none would work.  Gah.  Even under comm tests it shows 100% signal quality on the linked devices.

Archived