Fanlinc with KPL one button control

chrishick

I bought some fanlincs for the patio with a KPL for control. I thought there was a way to control fan speed using one button to toggle through the speeds but I can't seem to find any info on how to do this.

Is this possible?

I haven't done this yet as I have no fanlink and thinking about one doing the same with a simple SwitchLinc running the light and Fan.

Define a state variable called something like $sFanSpeed 

Create a 4 programs. One for each fan speed with a condition like this. Don't forget to write one for Off=0

If

$sFanSpeed is 1   <--- this changes for each speed 0,1,2,3

Then

Set fanlinc to low speed  <-----I don't know how the syntax for how this looks.

Now set up a master control program that increments the variable $FanSpeed with a safety to reset it back to Off=0

If

Control KPL is switched on

AND

$sFanSpeed <= 3    <-----top speed

Then

$sFanSpeed +=1    <---- go faster

$sFanLinc init to $sFanSpeed

Else

$sFanSpeed = 0      <----turn Off

Hope this helps some.

Let us know how this works out for you!

Thinking this through.

If I control one of the fans through iRule then the Fanlinc will be out of sync with the state variable and the next button press won't produce the expected results. So my thought is to make 4 programs to monitor fan status and change variable to correct value upon status change.

Does that sound right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Guys-

Here is my solution using a single KPL button in 'Non-toggle Off' mode.

LR-FanCycleA - [ID 0068][Parent 0066]

If
        (
             Control (Old) 'Living Room / KPLD8 / LR-KPL8-B.dev' is switched Off
        )
    And $i.toggle.LR_Fan_Lvl < 3

Then
        $i.toggle.LR_Fan_Lvl += 1
        Run Program 'LR-FanCycleB' (If)

Else
        $i.toggle.LR_Fan_Lvl  = 0
        Set 'Living Room / LivingRm Fan.dev' Off
        Set Scene 'Living Room / LR_KPL8-B(Fan).scn' Off

LR-FanCycleB - [ID 0069][Parent 0066]

If
        $i.toggle.LR_Fan_Lvl is 1

Then
        Set 'Living Room / LivingRm Fan.dev' Low
        Set Scene 'Living Room / LR_KPL8-B(Fan).scn' 100%

Else
        Run Program 'LR-FanCycleC' (If)

LR-FanCycleC - [ID 006A][Parent 0066]

If
        $i.toggle.LR_Fan_Lvl is 2

Then
        Set 'Living Room / LivingRm Fan.dev' Med

Else
        Run Program 'LR-FanCycleD' (If)

LR-FanCycleD - [ID 006B][Parent 0066]

If
        $i.toggle.LR_Fan_Lvl is 3

Then
        Set 'Living Room / LivingRm Fan.dev' High

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

LR-FanCycleE - [ID 006C][Parent 0066]

If
        Control (Old) 'Living Room / KPLD8 / LR-KPL8-B.dev' is switched Fast Off

Then
        $i.toggle.LR_Fan_Lvl  = 0
        Set 'Living Room / LivingRm Fan.dev' Off
        Set Scene 'Living Room / LR_KPL8-B(Fan).scn' Off

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I don't remember why I went with the integer var/program cascade method rather than using a state variable but I'm sure there was a reason at the time.

-Xathros

Hi Guys-

Here is my solution using a single KPL button in 'Non-toggle Off' mode.

I don't remember why I went with the integer var/program cascade method rather than using a state variable but I'm sure there was a reason at the time.

-Xathros

I was using cascading programs for everything but now I find the state variable triggering works very well. It's a little cryptic with unrelated programs running but that is classic for event based programming.

The nice part is viewing the program tree in Admin Console shows the currently selected program automatically as green/true and  the rest as red/false in a self managed case style switching arrangement.

Now we need to add control from iRule (assuming some apple sauce here) to synchronise the variable from the other influence..

Thinking this through.

If I control one of the fans through iRule then the Fanlinc will be out of sync with the state variable and the next button press won't produce the expected results. So my thought is to make 4 programs to monitor fan status and change variable to correct value upon status change.

Does that sound right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not familiar with iRule. Can the programs not just control the variable? That way all the trigger and supervising programs work based on the variable value.

That is the beauty of the event based ISY engine. Multiple programs can just stuff a value into the variable and the fan just shifts gears, seemingly by itself.

Perhaps just duplicate the master control program with the iRule as a trigger? If iRule sets a variable then set it back to 0 after the $sFanspeed variable is changed. This could also be incorporated into the existing master control program with an "OR" condition.

If

(

Control KPL is switched on

OR

$s.iRule.variable > 0

)

AND

$sFanSpeed <= 3   

Then

$sFanSpeed +=1   

$s.iRule.variable = 0

Else

$sFanSpeed = 0     

$iRule.variable = 0

EDIT: Added s prefixes for state variable designation.

I am not familiar with iRule. Can the programs not just control the variable? 

iRule can set variables, but I was just using that as an example for outside control. Could be MobiLinc, eKeypad, etc........

It would be better to detect the change within the ISY and set the variable accordingly.

iRule can set variables, but I was just using that as an example for outside control. Could be MobiLinc, eKeypad, etc........

It would be better to detect the change within the ISY and set the variable accordingly.

That is exactly what my last program example does. IRule sets a variable, ISY uses it and sets it back to 0 after changing the fan speed.

Archived