Boosters and Phase Couplers with Dual-Band

gadgetfreak

I started out with an X10 system including a phase coupler. I slowly upgraded to original Insteon using 5+ boosters (one set specifically at my dryer as a phase-coupler). I then converted around 40 of my 50 or so switches to dual-band with the remaining switches single-band. There are no more x10. I am not having a problem now but I am wondering if I should leave all the boosters plugged in. Do you think it helps or hurts (if there is any sort of failure in the device) my network? I could probably unplug a few and run some tests but I am curious as to the general consensus on this. Thx.

Passive X10 couplers are effective for both X10 and Insteon signals, but some active X10 couplers (also known as boosters). But, dual-band device do a good job of bridging the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. Try removing the couplers you have, one-at-a time and note the effect.

The 2443 Is an Insteon device.

Used to couple the two incoming power lines and receive Insteon RF messages from Insteon RF only devices.

It was used mostly before Dual Band was added to most present Insteon modules. It is now replaced by the 2992-222 Range Extender.

You can leave them installed as they will add tot the Dual Band mesh.

I have a pair in use myself. Though almost of my Insteon modules are the original I1 devices and I need the coupling in my system.

I have about 40 Insteon devices, no boosters, access points or repeaters. I don't seem to need any. I do have an old passive X10 phase coupler close to my distribution panel.

I do get some slow Insteon communication occasionally on the next floor just above my PLM and my four solar inverters beside it.

Thanks for the input. Is it true that dual-band systems don't need phase couplers since the signals are amplified over RF and can "jump" to the other phase that way? I guess these dual-band 2443s can't hurt but I am curious. Thx.

If you have 100% dual band, you probably don't need access points. The caveats are if you have isolated insteon devices where RF doesn't reach, or a few SB devices at the far end of a circuit that powerline signals can't reach. I have examples of both of those at my house.

Isolation can mean its far away distance wise, or that there is something noisy in the circuit or metal blocking rf between things that need to talk. A great example is metal jboxes, mine do a great job of focusing / limiting rf.

Right now there aren't software tools that are easily used to spot signal performance of individual insteon devices at a level that would allow investigation,, eg.  these devices always need an extra hop to get a signal to. Its guess work, and individualized to each unique house that its in. Or dig through a lower level log, device by device on a regular basis.

My approach is to manage to the communication problems that present themselves, and not worry about it further.

Range Extenders do not "boost" the Insteon signal. As with all dual-band devices, Range Extenders repeat the signal. The only way to determine if they're needed is in the event you are having communication difficulties, although in that case a Range Extender may or may not be a cure. Simply remove any and observe the results. If everything is OK, then you don't need any.

Archived