Why doesn't this work?? Programming + scene

lmoseley

I am new to the ISY and I'm feeling my way by seeing how other people did things in the other forum sections. Based on one of those posts, I'm trying something which is fairly simple and should work, but doesn't. I wonder if someone can offer some assistance?

First, I set up a scene consisting of the three  Insteon devices in my master bedroom:

Y0Mj64R.jpg

Using the ON and OFF  buttons on the ISY admin screen  turns the scene and all of its devices on and off as you would expect,  so the scene itself works.

My goal is to create a program that will watch for the human to double tap the bottom (FAST OFF)  of the switch nearest the doorway  and turn the MBR  scene off.   I plan to do similar programs for switches in other areas of the house.   Here is the program:

qQCugS4.jpg

The program is quite simple but just doesn't work.   The problem is that the double tap is not recognized by the program, and only the specific light controlled by the switch turns off when you double tap it.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?    Thanks in advance.

Using the ON and OFF  buttons on the ISY admin screen  turns the scene and all of its devices on and off as you would expect,  so the scene itself works.

My goal is to create a program that will watch for the human to double tap the bottom (FAST OFF)  of the switch nearest the doorway  and turn the MBR  scene off.   I plan to do similar programs for switches in other areas of the house.   Here is the program:

qQCugS4.jpg

The program is quite simple but just doesn't work.   The problem is that the double tap is not recognized by the program, and only the specific light controlled by the switch turns off when you double tap it.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?    Thanks in advance.

I like to add this to the bottom of your Then section.

Wait 2 seconds

Run program (else) 'MBR_All_Off'

That way you can observe your program to see if it is being triggered by your stimuli = Fast Off. Watch your program icons in your program tree. You may have to right click and enable icon colours. As oberKC posted above you can test your tapping speed.

If it isn't, then you know to look at your communications with your SwitchLinc dimmer or triggering device. You may be missing a link. Each directions and device that talks to your device or from your device takes a link inside your Insteon device and your PLM.

If the MBR Overhead Sw is a controller of the scene, then either an Off or a Fast Off should turn off all devices in the scene--even if there's no program to do so. If the MBR Overhead Sw is just a responder, then a program is needed.

If the MBR Overhead Sw is a controller of the scene, then either an Off or a Fast Off should turn off all devices in the scene--even if there's no program to do so.

Yes, but that's not what I want to do.  The Sw is assigned to a light in the MBR, and single-ON or single-OFF controls that light (only).  I want to get double-duty out of the switch by making it control the scene with a double-tap.

I still believe this is an issue with the speed of the double-tap.  Comms between the switch controller and light in the MBR sound good, since the scene is working, but comms with the ISY may be suspect.  An alternative to some of the other suggestions is to open an even viewer and press the switch once (see if you are getting the OFF command) and then quickly twice (see if you are recieving the FAST OFF command). 

Yes, but that's not what I want to do.  The Sw is assigned to a light in the MBR, and single-ON or single-OFF controls that light (only).  I want to get double-duty out of the switch by making it control the scene with a double-tap.

You cannot separate a device from the scene it controls. If a device is a controller of a scene, then a single off tap will turn off all devices in the scene as will a double tap.

If you want to distinguish between a single and double tap, then the double tap responders will need to be in a different scene than the single tap responders. Once that's done you can use a program to turn off the double tap responders. But the devices that are members of the scene with the controller will turn off whether you single or double tap the controller.

I do exactly what the OP is asking for and it can be done with FastOff and/or Off.  In my MBR the SLD at the entry has the ceiling light as the load.  On turns on that load only.  Fast On of course turns on that load but also triggers a program that brings up the rest of the lighting in the room via a scene.  Same with Fast Off.  In addition, i have my program watch of On when On or Off when Off to trigger the same scene actions using code like this:

Program: MBR_Ceiling_SLD_off.pgm

If 
   Control  'MBR_Ceiling_SLD.dev' is switched FastOff
   or (
    Status 'MBR_Ceiling_SLD.dev' is Off
    And Control  'MBR_Ceiling_SLD.dev' is Off)

Then
   Set Scene 'MBR_All.scn' Off

Else

This works with either a FastOff (Double Tap Off) or an off when the SLD is already off (2  single tap offs).

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

OP,

I also get double duty from several switches using fast on or fast off to turn all lights on or off in a room or to trigger certain scenes. I also use a fast on to activate a program in my son's room to turn the bedside lamp off in 10 minutes.

For several of these programs that are triggered by the double tap I add a beep. This lets me know that I hit the double tap quickly enough. I'm not sure if your particular switch supports this. I also use the wait line.

Archived