Do you use "wait" between actions?

zerop

Trying to figure out how many of you use a "wait" time of any duration between actions in one program.  For instance, a program that changes the values of several variables and changes the temperature of a thermostat and maybe turns on some lights all in one program.  Do you just string the actions together or do you put a wait time of 1-2 seconds between each action or do you put a wait time only between certain types of actions such as after the temperature adjust but not after variable value changes or light changes.

Thoughts?

Shouldn't need a delay between variable changes unless they will drive insteon activity in other programs when changed.  I find it to be a good idea to delay between scene and device actions to allow time for ack/cleanup messages to happen before generating more traffic.

-Xathros

Shouldn't need a delay between variable changes unless they will drive insteon activity in other programs when changed.  I find it to be a good idea to delay between scene and device actions to allow time for ack/cleanup messages to happen before generating more traffic.

-Xathros

How much time between scene and device actions?

What about time between network resources call outs?

How much time between scene and device actions?

What about time between network resources call outs?

Between devices, 1 sec should do. After a scene with many devices in it, 3-5 seconds might be better.  I usually go with 1-2 between resource calls.  Network resource calls can and do queue up if things are busy. If doing variable substitution within the resource, it is possible to call a resource and have the variable change downstream in the programs before the resource is substituted and sent.  Where this is possible, you may want a longer delay. Just beware.

-Xathros

I rarely use a wait between statements that involve Insteon devices, but I often need a wait when using network resources to control window coverings. The length of the delay varies. I experiment and then add one second to the shortest dependable wait.

Archived