Interface with Amazon Echo?

awzulich

I think you missed the point... :)

This thread is about echo integration. I know I can do that with geofencing and mobilinc (I am doing it today) but the main cool factor would be to get the personalized responses from the echo.

Kinda like Star Trek!

Im too lazy to talk and I don't like people talking back to me!  :-P

No need for Echo to do that. Use Geolocation/fencing via Mobilinc to activate a program on the ISY, Done! 

The only way that will work is if you are running the dumbed down icrap products.  Mobilinc has completely ignored the whole other side of the market.  Those of us smarter people who run android based products have been ignored by mobilinc.  No Elk integration, no IP camera integration, no geofencing, no android based watches,  etc, etc...  There are some workarounds using tasker but it's just not the same as the sleek looking ios mobilinc hd interface.

Mobilinc sucks. YES, I'm bitter.

So I was just thinking how cool would it be if we could control how echo responds to our requests. An example:

I come home and say "Alexa, I am home" this triggers a program in my ISY which turns on some living room lights, sets the thermostat, turns on the TV, etc. once this is completed the ISY sends a command to the Alexa which tells Alexa how to respond where she says something like. " Welcome home James, I have turned on the living room lights, set the thermostat to 72 and turned on the tv for you!"

Now that would be cool!!

I am very excited about this idea.  I love the "coolness" factor of the house talking back to me in a conversation style.

Junky

The only way that will work is if you are running the dumbed down icrap products. Mobilinc has completely ignored the whole other side of the market. Those of us smarter people who run android based products have been ignored by mobilinc. No Elk integration, no IP camera integration, no geofencing, no android based watches, etc, etc... There are some workarounds using tasker but it's just not the same as the sleek looking ios mobilinc hd interface.

Mobilinc sucks. YES, I'm bitter.

I am aware of this and so is Michel. It looks like Wes is possibly working on bringing Mobilinc Android up to speed with iOS. I completely understand your frustrations though.

I don't think Tasker is the only option though. I thought you could us IFTTT with the Maker channel and ISY portal. You need the portal for SSL security required by the Maker channel on IFTTT - but the IFTTT has a Android app with geofencing. Then you can activate a program on the ISY. I personally haven't tried it so I can't help more than the "concept". Sorry.

Maybe I should just be facetious and say dump your android crap and use what us "dumber people" use and get an icrap product and stop whining. But your smarter than me since you use an android device so you know this already. :mrgreen:

So I was just thinking how cool would it be if we could control how echo responds to our requests. An example:

I come home and say "Alexa, I am home" this triggers a program in my ISY which turns on some living room lights, sets the thermostat, turns on the TV, etc. once this is completed the ISY sends a command to the Alexa which tells Alexa how to respond where she says something like. " Welcome home James, I have turned on the living room lights, set the thermostat to 72 and turned on the tv for you!"

Now that would be cool!!

I believe that would require Alexa SDK to support push notifications (server generated notification) and I think the issue at the time is both privacy and annoyance.  Imagine having Echo start blurting out unrequested strings or having someone poke your Echo and listen into your environment.  That said.. my understanding is this is still a consideration with Amazon...

Jon...

I believe that would require Alexa SDK to support push notifications (server generated notification) and I think the issue at the time is both privacy and annoyance.  Imagine having Echo start blurting out unrequested strings or having someone poke your Echo and listen into your environment.  That said.. my understanding is this is still a consideration with Amazon...

Jon...

Yeah I understand the downside but it doesn't change its cool factor!

Frankly I hope Amazon does a bit to make Alexa more personable? I spent an hour tonight speaking commands to Alexa to control my lighting via my ISY and got really tired of the same old "ok" response! At least Siri changes up her response when responding to certain requests!

Now that would be cool!!

I think this could be done now if you built your own website/portal that's called by your own skill.

You say "Alexa, tell my skill I am home".

Alexa passes "I am home" to the portal.

Your portal runs a program on the ISY, then passes a text back to Alexa with what it did.

I've been playing with the sample with the Alexa SDK.

I already know what Alexa does with bad words.  "beep".

For any Ohio State fans I'm going to have her respond to Alexa tell Buckeye "O H"

Greg

I think this could be done now if you built your own website/portal that's called by your own skill.

You say "Alexa, tell my skill I am home".

Alexa passes "I am home" to the portal.

Your portal runs a program on the ISY, then passes a text back to Alexa with what it did.

I've been playing with the sample with the Alexa SDK.

I already know what Alexa does with bad words.  "beep".

For any Ohio State fans I'm going to have her respond to Alexa tell Buckeye "O H"

Greg

Very helpful, thanks!! I will take a peek at the SDK kit!

Hello everyone,

Our skill was certified just a couple of hours ago! This said, we have been testing it and the voice recognition is not that good. Trying to figure out whether or not the issue is on the portal, the skill, or voice recognition.

You are all welcome to test the Skill. Again, this is just for the skill and not the Connected Home.

To test:

1. Enable ISY Skill in your app and associated it with your portal account

2. Say: Alexa ask izzy to refresh devices (this will bring in all devices into the skill)

3. Ask izzy to do

For help:

1. Alexa open izzy

2. The prompts will help you

Rather disappointing.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello everyone,

Our skill was certified just a couple of hours ago! This said, we have been testing it and the voice recognition is not that good. Trying to figure out whether or not the issue is on the portal, the skill, or voice recognition.

You are all welcome to test the Skill. Again, this is just for the skill and not the Connected Home.

To test:

1. Enable ISY Skill in your app and associated it with your portal account

2. Say: Alexa ask izzy to refresh devices (this will bring in all devices into the skill)

3. Ask izzy to do <x>

For help:

1. Alexa open izzy

2. The prompts will help you

Rather disappointing.

With kind regards,

Michel

Overall Great News!

I think there's been an overall issue with recognition the last week or so using the emulator so it may be unrelated to the skill...

Anyway.. I've just purchased ISY Portal and created my Account however the email verification had no message body in it so I'm unable to acknowledge.

Edit: I had it resend and same thing. .. another edit :)  Benoit emailed me the link but I later found the verification in my web client.  why MS Outlook clipped the body or if was done by ATT I don't know.

Jon...

I (accidentally) had a capital letter in my email address, and it told me 'unrecognized email address'.

Two things:

1) The email address shouldn't be case sensitive... The password should.

2) You should never tell an attacker that the email address didn't exist. You should only ever say 'Access Denied'. Otherwise, an attacker can enumerate valid email addresses in the system.

Otherwise, discovery successful. Over 160 devices (in my case). Alexa asked me if I wished to wait a couple of times. Nice. Now I have to go assigning some spoken works to objects.

Thank you!!

I (accidentally) had a capital letter in my email address, and it told me 'unrecognized email address'.

Two things:

1) The email address shouldn't be case sensitive... The password should.

2) You should never tell an attacker that the email address didn't exist. You should only ever say 'Access Denied'. Otherwise, an attacker can enumerate valid email addresses in the system.

Otherwise, discovery successful. Over 160 devices (in my case). Alexa asked me if I wished to wait a couple of times. Nice. Now I have to go assigning some spoken works to objects.

Thank you!!

Good points. That will be fixed.

Benoit.

I know this is probably a dumb question but I bought the portal about a month ago but don't know how to set it up, is there a link with clear instructions on how to do this?

I just did this and don't remember :)  I think you have to open the admin console and go to "manage modules."

To enable the skill.. log into your echo app and then use the skills tab to search for ISY.  you have to associate the skill with your Amazon account also..

Jon...

Archived