Is there any time this word can be used?

Teken

Insure should be restricted to providing or obtaining insurance to indemnify or guarantee someone or something against a loss. Ensure can be used in all other senses, especially 'to make certain'. Ensure can also imply a guarantee. Then there is a third word, assure, which means to make a promise or convince.

Assure vs. Ensure vs. Insure

The three words, assureensure, and insure, are often confused. All three words share an element of “making an outcome sure.” However, rather than using these words interchangeably, I’d like to point out the unique aspects of each word so that you can use them to communicate your intention clearly.

Assure is to promise or say with confidence. It is more about saying than doing.

Example: I assure you that you’ll be warm enough.

Ensure is to do or have what is necessary for success.

Example: These blankets ensure that you’ll be warm enough.

Insure is to cover with an insurance policy.

Example: I will insure my home with additional fire and flood policies.

Especially in American English, what you insure is a business transaction. What you ensure results from your personal efforts.

As noted above has anyone ever used the phrase *Insure* for other applications? I am reading a document right now and it doesn't seem to follow the above definition.

Also, I find myself not using the two correctly from time to time. I try very hard to use the English language in the correct fashion but its my second language.

So I get a pass once in awhile ha!

My usage and understanding of these terms agrees with your definition. I don't recall seeing Insure used in the wrong context or manner.

I must say, for ESL, your command of the language is better than that of many native English speakers.

Out of curiosity, what is your first language?

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am fairly sure to completely sure that you buy insurance with an Assurance Company in Canada. Now that makes more sense.

Note how the terms are interchanged but in the end and the fine print at the bottom it's an Assurance company. IMHO this has something to do with cross border sales hiding their foreign appearance to a larger market.

So much confusion caused them to rename themselves to "Financial" :)

http://www.sunlife.ca/

Then there is this one.

http://ensure.ca/en?Partner=SEMGOOG-E&gclid=CIv54uqMoMkCFYRDaQodd-AM-Q

Then there is the ones that believe the difference is the type of life insurance policy.

http://www.taxplanet.com/magazine/other-topics/107-miscellaneous/467-difference-between-life-insurance-and-life-assurance

I assure you that I will not insure your ability to ensure results. The effect of this will not affect you, except if you accept the premise. You have nothing to lose if you give this a loose interpretation.

My usage and understanding of these terms agrees with your definition. I don't recall seeing Insure used in the wrong context or manner.

I must say, for ESL, your command of the language is better than that of many native English speakers.

Out of curiosity, what is your first language?

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks partner, each day is a mini struggle to use the correct word / phrase.

That's what happens when you're stuck in the bush for so long without talking and reading with other human beings!

Ha!

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Archived