Oil Burner reset detector (Honeywell or Beckett)

JSchumann

That maybe a tough thing to do.

Normally the Orange wire turns On and Off L1 the Hot 120 volts. To the Burner motor and ignition. When the Thermostat, aquastat or zone relay called for heat.

When the red button is tripped. Maybe by a flame detector sensing a flame out. The orange wire never gets a 120 volt power feed.

I don't see where a missing voltage could be detected. As when the burner is off or red button is popped. The 120 volts is not on orange wire.

If the controller had a alarm relay contact. Like my burner has. It could trip an I/OLInc Sensor Input.

Larry, I actually have a temp detector on the outlet of the furnace on the water pipe.  The reset button idea was for faster notification there is a problem.  I had some pipes freeze last year because the furnace tripped and went unnoticed for a while (was at work) when the outside temp was negative 5 for about a week.

The only diagrams I found also don't really show reset button wiring. Power up the spare and test the voltage across the Reset button in both positions. Hopefully you have access to 220VAC, but if not, 120VAC will provide some information.

Larry, I actually have a temp detector on the outlet of the furnace on the water pipe.  The reset button idea was for faster notification there is a problem.  I had some pipes freeze last year because the furnace tripped and went unnoticed for a while (was at work) when the outside temp was negative 5 for about a week.

Are you away for extended periods of time?  My house doesn't freeze for a month or more of  -5 (I assume you talk F). When I was building water didn't freeze until the second week of deep cold with no ceilings installed.

Do you know what the "Limit" is the feeds the black wire from Line 2 120vac ?

If the reset is in the control electronics the 24vac could be sensed with a relay furnace relay commonly available and an I/O Linc.

I still think the temperature sensor would be the easiest method. Is the one you have installed not Insteon available?

This could be accomplished with a simple 2241ZTH.. You should be able to set it about 3-4 degrees below you lowest expected setpoint and adjust inside ISY for vacation mode etc. You could even vary your sensing point home and away. The notifications are built in, controllable and  humidity is available as a bonus.

From what I gather you're looking for

Thanks Brian, after more investigation, Honeywell makes a model with isolated alarm leads.....Guess I will be dropping $100 to get one......Model R8184G 4066 (15 second version)

This looks to me the easiest route if it has the "remote alarm dry contacts" but I'm unclear as to whether or not all the 4066 come with it.

https://customer.honeywell.com/resources/techlit/TechLitImages/GIF/m8079.gif

Jon...

Archived