Release 2.6.12 beta is now available

Michel Kohanim

I just did a factory reset on a SLD and when I change the on-level (Applied Locally) it does not program the switch. If I sent an 'on' command from the Isy, it goes to the right level, but not when I press the paddle. Is this normal? The Isy is reporting V.27.

I just did a factory reset on a SLD and when I change the on-level (Applied Locally) it does not program the switch. If I sent an 'on' command from the Isy, it goes to the right level, but not when I press the paddle. Is this normal? The Isy is reporting V.27.

This is normal. You have to "air gap" the switch after changing settings that are "applied locally". Pull the setup button out...wait 5 to 10 seconds and push it back in until it's flush (don't hold it in).

Eric

After upgrading to .12 my Insteon Motion Sensors did not work any more. When I checked for the potential problem, I found the sensors flagged as "Unsuppoerted Device: 16.0". I unlinked ALL THREE links per sensor and linked again and the sensors work again.

Random background information on what can happen when motion sensors quit resonding:

We are going through a real bad cold spell up here in the Pacific Northwest and after I upgraded the ISY remotely from the office the sensors not working resulted in a really cold child coming home from school and the house not warming up due to the sensor in the garage not triggering the "Home Mode" :( Needless to say that I have received complaints from my most important user in the house :)

FYI: I get messages about not being able to communicate with my motion sensors. I think this happens when ISY does it auto query at 3am. The sensors should not be qureyed.

Frank

I upgraded from 2.6.8 to 2.6.12 and my insteon skylink motion sensor went from being called what it is to being called "unsupported device: 16.0".

It also has a ramp rate and on level as this unsuported device. How shall I fix this?

Ok, we've gone through the On Levels, Ramp Rate issues, but here's one that I've noticed during the last 4 devices I have linked:

If I link a LL, AL, or SL (not a Motion Sensor) it takes f o r e v e r. . .

I go through 5 (count 'em) Initializing System status bars, for about an average time of about 8 minutes total. This didn't happen in the 2.6.8 (ish) releases.

Now, I do have choices when I start a generic linking process:

1. Remove existing links

2. Add devices found in links and remove existing links

3. Add devices found in links and keep existing links

I always choose #3. Mainly because it seems like the safest thing to do, and quite frankly, I'm not sure what each of these choices mean.

My thoughts are that if I add the device I'm trying to link, I don't want to screw anything else up so I "Add devices found in links and KEEP existing links."

Sounds reasonable to me. But that may be the reason it takes so long; it seems to look at all my devices which are more than 100.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Joe

Hello Frank,

Are you using 2.6.12? The motion sensor is not queried in this release.

With kind regards,

Michel

FYI: I get messages about not being able to communicate with my motion sensors. I think this happens when ISY does it auto query at 3am. The sensors should not be qureyed.

Frank

Hi Michel ,

I'm running 2.6.13, but I'm sure I had the issue with2.6.12 also.

Regards,

Frank

I am using 2.6.12 and I linked my 2420 motion sensor. I tried to add it to a scene as a controller and I get "Request Failed". I tried this multiple times, putting it in programming mode with one press and sometimes with two presses of the button. I even did a factory reset, removed it from the isy and then started over.

I get the same "Request Failed" when I try to change the off timer.

I am using 2.6.12 and I linked my 2420 motion sensor. I tried to add it to a scene as a controller and I get "Request Failed". I tried this multiple times, putting it in programming mode with one press and sometimes with two presses of the button. I even did a factory reset, removed it from the isy and then started over.

I was getting this all the time. It seem to help when the motion sensor was placed very close to one of the access points while programming.

Ok, we've gone through the On Levels, Ramp Rate issues, but here's one that I've noticed during the last 4 devices I have linked:

If I link a LL, AL, or SL (not a Motion Sensor) it takes f o r e v e r. . .

I go through 5 (count 'em) Initializing System status bars, for about an average time of about 8 minutes total. This didn't happen in the 2.6.8 (ish) releases.

Now, I do have choices when I start a generic linking process:

1. Remove existing links

I always choose #3. Mainly because it seems like the safest thing to do, and quite frankly, I'm not sure what each of these choices mean.

My thoughts are that if I add the device I'm trying to link, I don't want to screw anything else up so I "Add devices found in links and KEEP existing links."

Sounds reasonable to me. But that may be the reason it takes so long; it seems to look at all my devices which are more than 100.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Joe

Using #3 it will add the device the are adding, but it will leave any links that that device has in it's links table intact. This is likely the reason it is taking so long, because ISY is "spidering" you network for the links it finds in the device (see below link to the Wiki). I don't ever do this, because I want all links that a device has to be done through ISY.

To try and clairfy:

1. Remove existing links

This will remove the links that are present IN the device you are adding. It will not effect any of the links you have already created in ISY, only the ones that might be present in the device you are adding. This is preferred by me, because like I said I want all link to get created by ISY... In fact, I normally do a factory reset on a device before I link it to be sure it is empty and clean.

This will add any devices that ISY finds referrenced in the device you are adding to ISY device tree. Not likely what you want, since it may referrence a device that you don't have installed. Once done, it clears all the links from the device.

This keeps the links found in the device you are adding, again...not likely what you want since the links may be to devices you don't have installed.

As I said, Option 1 is what I always use. There are cases where you might want to select one of the others, but honestly it is much easier for me to install the device fresh (clean of all links) and create the links through ISY.

Checkout the wiki here for more info: http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Adding_a_Device

Thanks.

Eric

Reading the links should not take so long no matter what option you use.

This is a problem with the latest ISY firmware. I am working with Michel on this issue and I was surprised no one else was reporting it. So now I am not as crazy as I thought :shock:

Rand

I was getting this all the time. It seem to help when the motion sensor was placed very close to one of the access points while programming.

I tried this and I still get "request failed". Here is what is interesting: It seems as though the changes that I try to make that end in "request failed" take affect. When I change the off-timer to 7 minutes, it works properly and when I link the sensor to a light, it turns on that light. it seems as though the system thinks it is't getting the job done, but it is.

Michel: any ideas here?

Hello someguy, my apologies for not responding to you sooner.

This is what we have found for both Motion Sensor as well as RemoteLinc:

When you are adding them to ISY and if you choose the first option (remove existing links), ISY tries to clean out whatever records that are still in those devices. With i1, this process took much less time than 4 minutes but with i2, this process is taking much longer. As such, both MS and RL will timeout and cannot communicate any more.

One way to fix this using i2, is to factory reset them. This way, ISY is presented with a blank database and thus will not try to compact/clean it. This works 100% of the time with my RL and MS.

Furthermore, we have learned (through trial and error) that when the battery is FULL, i2 operations are almost as quick as i1. With lower battery levels, i2 messages seem to take increasingly longer times.

And, finally, heeding the advice of MikeB and Rand, we have added an option to disable i2 (globally). This can be used for temporarily disabling i2 operations and then reinstating them. Unfortunately, for Motion Sensor, you NEED i2.

2.6.13 should be available by Sunday.

With kind regards,

Michel

I tried this and I still get "request failed". Here is what is interesting: It seems as though the changes that I try to make that end in "request failed" take affect. When I change the off-timer to 7 minutes, it works properly and when I link the sensor to a light, it turns on that light. it seems as though the system thinks it is't getting the job done, but it is.

Michel: any ideas here?

I am still using 2.6.8 but I have a few suggestions for upcoming releases.

First of all, it would be great to have the admin console pop up a window notifying people of certain changes that won't take effect without an air gap on the device - I see this being a source of confusion all the time, including multiple threads on the Homeseer message boards - and the ISY could just make a pop-up statement that means "hey people, don't forget that the changes you just made require you to reset the switch with the air gap".

Second, I'm a little worried about upgrading if I have to delete and re-create motion sensors and/or other devices. Can't the new firmware just recognize that it has to re-initialize the motion sensors, so that we don't have to go through and rebuild any programs that use the motions sensors or scenes that are controlled by them, or even worse, Homeseer events linked to the devices (which are harder to keep track of). I worry about removing motion sensors and re-adding them and then finding little bugs here and there all the time.

I suppose I could be careful and manage to get by just fine, but I thought that perhaps you could try to make the firmware updates smoother. Perhaps switch the motion sensor Insteon addresses to undefined, but leave the devices there for people to re-assign to the motion sensor, as if you'd removed a switch and need to reassign it to a replacement. (I've never gone through the replacement process yet, but it looks like the ISY is all set to handle it easily)

Tim

Good Morning,

Just to jump in as well - I migrated from 2.6.8 to 2.6.12, and have noticed several issues now, mostly pertaining to ApplicanceLincs - since the firmware upgrade, the programs and KPL buttons involving them have stopped working correctly/reliably. I have tried to remove them from a scene, and encounter the 'request failed' dialogue. Trying to query them and /or move them in and out of scenes takes a long time for the progress dialogue as well. Ive had to close out the Admin console and log back in to try and determine if changes made were in fact accepted by ISY.

Am I able to 'roll back' to 2.6.8? Or would I be better to hold off until 2.6.13? This has impacted 90% of my Christmas controllers, and I don't want Mrs Claus to be mad.......:wink:

Cheers

Tom

I'm having another problem while using 2.6.12:

I am trying to add a new EZSwitch30 and it will not correctly add it to "my lighting".

when I click "new insteon device" and put in the insteon address and with either "automatic" or by selecting EZSwitch30, here is what it does: a dialog box pops up and it says "removing existing links" (there are none it is a new device) and when it gets to about 8% the dialog box just vanishes. no error message, no new device in my list.

Any solutions?

Does the latest firmware provide any options for the motion sensor, like changing the time before it sends an OFF? Or any other options.

I read on the Smarthome forum that this was programmable from HouseLinc2. Where are specs for the Motion Sensor beyond the 1 page handout that ships with it?

Tim

Does the latest firmware provide any options for the motion sensor, like changing the time before it sends an OFF? Or any other options.

I read on the Smarthome forum that this was programmable from HouseLinc2. Where are specs for the Motion Sensor beyond the 1 page handout that ships with it?

Tim

look here for some info:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/view ... highlight=

Archived