ISY Guest user

Amigo

Good evening,

So I purchased ISY portal module and my ISY is online with the portal.

The reason I purchased the portal module is to be able to have users that can only see/view things and not have access to change anything in ISY (Guest).

What is the procedure to create this type of users?

cheers.

I am sorry, but I do not follow.

Here is what I did:

I used the desktop version of Admin Console and connected to my ISY. I went under file to set userid/password and changed the credentials for admin user.

now in my portal I have two users setup, lets call them userA and userB, both have the same ISY as the preferred ISY.

userA is the admin account holder for the portal, userB is regular user.

I log into the portal with userB credentials, and under select tool, I can still reboot ISY, etc.

I want userB just to be able to view the data in ISY, I don't want him to be able to change thermostat setpoints or be able to turn things on or off, etc.

I do not see anywhere in the portal or ISY for that matter that you can set user access rights. Obviously I must be missing something here.

cheers.

I want userB just to be able to view the data in ISY, I don't want him to be able to change thermostat setpoints or be able to turn things on or off, etc.

This is new to me?  I don't know of any interface with ISY that doesn't allow change i.e., Mobilinc, HAD, UD Ajax.

Jon...

When I use the portal, I'm asked for an email and a password. Changes (e.g., add or delete devices, create or modify scenes or programs) are not available. But, the Admin Console (which allows changes), I'm asked for a user name, not email address and password which is different from the one I use for the portal.

Correction: Variables can be changed.and thermostats can be adjusted.

This is new to me?  I don't know of any interface with ISY that doesn't allow change i.e., Mobilinc, HAD, UD Ajax.

Jon...

Exactly, I can't find a way to create a read only/limited interface. Surely I can't be the first to ask for something like this.

When I use the portal, I'm asked for an email and a password. Changes (e.g., add or delete devices, create or modify scenes or programs) are not available. But, the Admin Console (which allows changes), I'm asked for a user name, not email address and password which is different from the one I use for the portal.

Correction: Variables can be changed.and thermostats can be adjusted.

By changes, I mean just that. Stop the user from being able to change variables, or adjust thermostats, etc. A complete read only user. Looks like it is not really possible which is a big surprise for me.

By changes, I mean just that. Stop the user from being able to change variables, or adjust thermostats, etc. A complete read only user. Looks like it is not really possible which is a big surprise for me.

What's the purpose for a read only interface?

Jon...

What's the purpose for a read only interface?

Jon...

To provide info only access to people that are completely non-technical or people that I do not want to affect anything in ISY but only see things.

For example, the principal of a school, I want him to see the thermostat temperature in all the classrooms but I do not necessarily want to give access to programs or variables that control those thermostats.

To provide info only access to people that are completely non-technical or people that I do not want to affect anything in ISY but only see things.

For example, the principal of a school, I want him to see the thermostat temperature in all the classrooms but I do not necessarily want to give access to programs or variables that control those thermostats.

I'm sure you could create a web page that would display any node value.  There are resources for REST and substitution variables.

Jon...

Thank you.

Yes, I am beginning to see that. In my opinion it makes it hard for the integrators to use ISY in commercial applications, where having multiple users and some form of user access rights is a very common and used feature.

Even with the portal non Admin account, for example that user can still reboot ISY, or be able to clear logs, not sure why you allow those kind of capability for non Admin user.

Back to ISY itself, I see there is possible to have 9 users under set userid/password, I read the wiki but I don't quite understand the purpose of these 9 users?

do you think at this point for me to implement some sort of read only page is to develop something with HAD and place those pages in a non-secure section of ISY and share that link with non-admin users?

I don't have any web development skills but if that is the only way then I have to dig into HAD and see if I can make any headway with that.

cheers. 

In 5.0.x we plan to add support for multi-users and that's why you see those. This said, it's still a plan and I cannot give you any ETAs.

Cool, definitely looking forward to seeing this feature in a future 5.0 beta.   

Archived