Amazon Echo - ISY Step by Step

KeithL

• 3 months later...

Big shoutout to Keith for creating this and to all of you who contribute each and every day. Started my first HA/isy project last week and thanks to the amazing wealth of knowledge from a committed community I have successfully installed, troubleshooted and configured several switches, KPL's, Fanlinc, even written a few programs and now have it all talking to Alexa .. wow.

Thanks again to everyones contribution for making this go way smoother than I expected! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well - the connectivity on the echo dot is terrible.  My echo (big one) works great.  Half the time the dot doesnt work for anything (Pandora, lights, weather).  I reached out to Amazon who said that it needs to be within 15 feet of the access point or it wont work.  

Well - the connectivity on the echo dot is terrible. My echo (big one) works great. Half the time the dot doesnt work for anything (Pandora, lights, weather). I reached out to Amazon who said that it needs to be within 15 feet of the access point or it wont work.

Hmm one of mine dots is about 45 feet away and never fails.. Another one that is only 10 feet away looses connection from time to time..

Sent from Tapatalk on S7 Edge

Edited by TheFallenAngel
  • 2 months later...

You may need to log into the Dashboard and set security settings for TTL 1.2 All (If you haven't downloaded dashboard select appropriate version from link.)

Here's the Wiki instructions for Portal installation.

Jon...

I have the same problem, but I do not have a TTL 1.2 option, only a TLS 1.2 option, which both Server and Client are already set to.  Any suggestions?  THANKS - Bruce

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I'm struggling with getting things set up. First of all, I have two houses, each with multiple Insteon devices and each with a single ISY994i. I have installed the ISY Portal on each of the ISYs, and I have entered both of them at my.isy.io. At alexa.amazon.com I have added the skill ISY Optimized for Smart Home V2. However, it doesn't matter what I do, I cannot get Alexa to discover any devices. What am I doing wrong?

Michel, thank you very much. I had overlooked that step. When I was trying to set this up I happened to be at the location that was not selected as the preferred ISY. I today happen to be at the location of the preferred ISY, and I have succeeded in the discovery process. I will proceed from here.

Success, sort of. Perhaps you are able to give me a little more guidance to get me all the way.

I have created a scene that consists of 3 Insteon devices illuminating a single room. One is a 2477DH SwitchLinc Dimmer, the second is a 2472D OutletLinc Dimmer, and the third is another 2472D OutletLinc Dimmer. These three devices control ceiling can lights, a floor lamp that is plugged into the first 2472D, and a table lamp that is plugged into the second 2472D, respectively. Because of the nature of the room and the light output levels of the various lamps/lights, I have set the On Level for each of the three Insteon devices differently. The 2477DH in the scene has its On Level set to 35%, and the 2472Ds are both set to an On Level of 75%. However, when I give Alexa the command to turn on the scene, all devices go to an On Level of 100%. I don't really understand this, because I have a program implemented in the ISY that at a certain time of day it turns these 3 Insteon devices on, and then immediately dims the three devices to the settings I have described above.

I don't think I can have Alexa run the program, because the initial If statement will fail if it is not at the appropriate time. My intent is to have the Alexa command in order to turn these same lights on to the same level whenever I am outside of the time parameters for the program

So, what do I need to do in order to have this scene match my program when I tell Alexa to turn the scene on. By the way, this scene was just created for this and only this purpose. It is not activated by any other Insteon devices.

Never mind. I figured it out.

In the interface for the Administrative Console, the creation of the scene has a top level that is for the scene itself. When you drag the devices into the scene, each one shows up as an indented unit beneath the scene name. I was setting the On Level on these indented components. However, if I use only the top level scene name and set the On Level there, it works just the way I want it to.

WOOOOHOOOOO!

Thanks again, anyway, Michel.

Okay I believe my problem is for some reason ISY Skill shows up in Alexa, however I am trying to ENABLE and it just seems stuck?  Is there something in the portal setup that a port may have to be opened up on my firewall??  Under my Admin ISY Panel, under the Portals Tab everything seems okay? Online green flag, Registered.. Active services shows.. However when I click on MORE INFO... I get a blank internet page showing and hence I believe where my problem exists??

If the skill appears in Smart Home, then it's already enabled. The only choice should be, "Disable." What exactly is the difficulty you are having?

If the skill appears in Smart Home, then it's already enabled. The only choice should be, "Disable." What exactly is the difficulty you are having?

Trying to ENABLE the skill...  It shows as disabled.. So I click on the skill which opens in NEW Window... I see a large ENABLE button, I click on it and it just seems stuck?? When I did this for other skills within seconds it would be enabled and done.. what am I missing here?

Has anyone updated the how to, to bring it up the current layout for the entire operation?

Connected Home is now Smart Home.....

There are so many other changes in the entire layout, I can't make heads or tails on how to get it setup correctly.

There is also no sticky on "of you set it up prior, to update do this"

Just a suggestion, Step by Step is usually in a 1, 2, 3, step method, hence the name "step by step".

A continuous paragraph of do this, do this, do that, and referring to "it" and not to the actual service, device, site, page, is very difficult to follow along with.

This is the main reason I abandoned this as it was too difficult to take what was done prior, then updated due to Amazon, and get to current.

Had my rant....but still can't get diddly working.

Has anyone updated the how to, to bring it up the current layout for the entire operation?

Connected Home is now Smart Home.....

There are so many other changes in the entire layout, I can't make heads or tails on how to get it setup correctly.

There is also no sticky on "of you set it up prior, to update do this"

Just a suggestion, Step by Step is usually in a 1, 2, 3, step method, hence the name "step by step".

A continuous paragraph of do this, do this, do that, and referring to "it" and not to the actual service, device, site, page, is very difficult to follow along with.

This is the main reason I abandoned this as it was too difficult to take what was done prior, then updated due to Amazon, and get to current.

Had my rant....but still can't get diddly working.

Thank you... took me some time to figure out the Connected Home is now Smart Home.. I kept looking and looking LOL.. Great suggestion.

Trying to ENABLE the skill...  It shows as disabled.. So I click on the skill which opens in NEW Window... I see a large ENABLE button, I click on it and it just seems stuck?? When I did this for other skills within seconds it would be enabled and done.. what am I missing here?

All works it was confusing under Smart Home showing my ISY Disabled, and confusing for as pointed out it is actually enabled..

Tested a few devices all working..

I agree maybe a few updates edits are in place on the first post... I would suggest from my venture updating the SMART HOME left side option.. as well.. my confusion if it shows up yes great :).. more emphasis on this point :)

If I had the time I'd re-write this garbage...I been using ISY for over 2 years and abandoned the Echo integration because it was weak at the beginning. I assumed that it was better at this point but still the setup is clunky.

You need to disable the Skill: ISY Optimized for Smart Home, and enable ISY Optimized for Smart Home V2.

If was Actually Writing a How-To I'd do something like:

If you have already setup ISY and Amazon Echo before:

1) Login to Amazon Alexa at http://alexa.amazon.com

2) Click on Skils

3) In the search box type ISY, Click on ISY Optimized for Smart Home V2, Click the Enable Button

If it asks to search for devices let it.

4) Click on Smart Home

5) Click on Disable to the right of "ISY" if this skill is available

If you don't find any devices, Browse to the ISY Portal https://my.isy.io, Login:

1) Click on Select Tools next to the ISY

Select Connectivity

Select Amazon Echo/Google Home

2) If you see no devices, then you need to add all your devices.

-----adding all the devices is one of the huge issues with all this....I have to add over 80 devices....

But after that, then Alexa Site will find the devices.

Edited by GGITech
  • 4 weeks later...

While for the most part I find the ISY/Echo integration to be good. But I have a recurring problem. While I have 2 ISYs registered with the ISY portal, one (only one, and it's the same one every time) of them periodically goes offline. I am unable to figure out how to reliably bring it back online. Sometimes taking power away from the ISY gets it to reconnect, and sometimes not. Sometimes, if I go to the Configuration tab of the Administrative Console, and then the System tab there I can tell it to reboot, and that gets it back online. So, I have 2 questions. The first is what is the correct way to bring the ISY back online? Second, what can I do to prevent this from happening in the future. Both of the ISYs are on the same firmware level -  4.5.4. Thanks for the help.