What to these commands in your Raspbian Setup PDF Do?

ccclapp

Hi io_guy

What to the following commands on your setup pdf do?

sudo apt-get purge xserver* x11-common x11-utils x11-xkb-utils x11-xserver-utils xarchiver xauth xkb-data console-setup xinit lightdm ibx{composite,cb,cursor,damage,dmcp,ext,font,ft,i,inerama,kbfile,klavier,mu,pm,randr,render,res,t,xf86}* lxde* lx{input,menu-data,panel,polkit,randr,session,session-edit,shortcut,task,terminal} obconf openbox gtk* libgtk* alsa* nano python-pygame python-tk python3-tk scratch tsconf wolfram* gnome*

sudo apt-get autoremove

I ran this on a new running PRi install and lost some things like xrdp.

On this RPi I am intending to run nodelink, IsyHelper, possibly an OpenVPN server etc.

Thanks for your help

... In my case I erased my card and did a full reinstall. Took a couple of hours

yeah i did that more than once - especially once after erroneously trying to 'install' perl (turned out it was installed by default and running cpam borked it)

FYI,

I'll be removing the purge step from the next doc but only because I will also be recommending the new "lite" Raspbian image they now have available (which does not include X).

Hi

IMHO without warning the purge step was a surprise.  I'd think removing or describing would be preferred.

I'm wondering: given modest RPi cost, do you think one on RPi 2 will have issues if not on "lite" Raspian? I have no basis for comparison, but wouldn't have thought that. I'm running Nodelink, IsyHelper, OpenVPN and looking at doing some ISY data logging/graphing.  Am I way over estimating RPi 2 processing capabilities? 

Thanks!!

I fail to see the problem here at all.

If you want openvpn, install it. A simple apt-get will give you everything you need including dependencies.

For most users who don't need this, the lite keeps things simple.

Hi

There is no problem here at all.  I'm very glad to use your SW!  As newer to RPi, I was just surprised to lose my UI.  I agree the more I use RPi then less I use the UI.  Also, I didn't know if you meant that the UI in combo with ModeLink would strain the Pi.  Anyway, it doesn't matter. Just happy to have it all running seeming well...very new for me.  Thanks for your ISY-capability-ex panders!!!!!!!  Your contribution is HUGEl!!!  

The RPi 2 is a fairly formidable platform. I'm running Nodelink with ISYlink and 2 Venstar thermostats. I also run ISYLogger, mysql python and syslog. I also have an X session running idle3 under xrdp.

While running that I'm using 25% processor peak and have 40 % of memory free.  You'll be fine performance wise. I'm assuming you can load xrdp on lite raspbian and have X you can access via RDP.

post-5496-0-54973100-1456290762_thumb.png

As someone who was new to the Pi and the command line 18 months or so ago, I've gotta recommend ditching the GUI crutch, and just diving into the CLI. Yes, it's painful at first, but the rewards include a much better understanding of what you're actually doing. Keep a journal of things you've done, bookmark pages, and just keep doing it until it starts to become as familiar as a GUI.

Archived