PLM / ISY power source best practice!

pikach

Hi I recently bought a cyberpower PFC Pure Sine Wave UPS battery backup, I have my modem, router, ooma modem, pc, POE switch, and alarm panel all connected to a 20 outlet rackmount power strip which is plugged in to the Battery Backup & Surge Protected Outlet.

Then I have another 10 outlet rackmount power strip, which has my audio amp video monitor and some other non essential devices connected to the Surge Protected only outlet in the back of my cyber power.

I have no filters connected to anything.

What would be the best way to avoid power failures, spikes, and Insteon Powerline and RF signals problems?

1) Should I connect the ISY and plm to a seperate dedicated outlet with independant breaker?

2) Can I connect any one of them to a outlet on the same powerline as the other equip?

3) Should I connect any one of them to the surge portected outlet?

4) Should I connect any one of them to the battery backup outlet?

So far while having them both on the battery backup outlet I had no insteon issues, but SH sais not to plug in plm to UPS, yet having the ISY on UPS has no point either because in an event of a power loss the PLM will have no power and Ill have to reboot the ISY for it to see the PLM after power restore.

Electronics can create noise and UPS are considered signal suckers so filtering at the outlet the UPS takes care of all that's connected to it.  The PLM can go anywhere then and the power supply for ISY can (and I believe optimally should) come off the UPS. 

Edit: Placement of the PLM many recommend as close to the distribution panel as possible but mine is located central to my home and I have good comms.

Edit2: forgot to mention... you want the PLM directly into the wall outlet and dedicated circuit is nice but not necessary.

Jon...

Generally agree with Jerlands. What has worked for me is to have ISY on circuit that is surge protected, and even conditioned in that it goes through UPS that cleans up the power (pure sine wave, steady 120V, deals with not only surges but also brownouts). PLM goes straight into outlet, no surge protector or UPS, and different than circuit with UPS. As Jerlands notes, near panel may be helpful, but may not be necessity. Mine is 12 feet away, and as I recall nothing else on that circuit.

Hi I recently bought a cyberpower PFC Pure Sine Wave UPS battery backup, I have my modem, router, ooma modem, pc, POE switch, and alarm panel all connected to a 20 outlet rackmount power strip which is plugged in to the Battery Backup & Surge Protected Outlet. <- If you're following UL/cUL rules and requirements an alarm panel can not be placed on a UPS.

Then I have another 10 outlet rackmount power strip, which has my audio amp video monitor and some other non essential devices connected to the Surge Protected only outlet in the back of my cyber power.

I have no filters connected to anything.

What would be the best way to avoid power failures, spikes, and Insteon Powerline and RF signals problems? <- The only method to avoid power failures is to have a whole house 24.7.365 on line UPS system. Otherwise its near impossible to avoid power failures keeping in mind placing a PLM / ISY on a mini local UPS doesn't address what are you going to control when the power goes out?

1) Should I connect the ISY and plm to a seperate dedicated outlet with independant breaker? <- If you can have both on the same dedicated breaker that is always great.

2) Can I connect any one of them to a outlet on the same powerline as the other equip? <- No

3) Should I connect any one of them to the surge portected outlet? <- Placing the ISY on a protected outlet is always a great idea.

4) Should I connect any one of them to the battery backup outlet? <- Put placing the ISY on a UPS is fine but note what I said above what are you going to control in the home when there is no power?!?

So far while having them both on the battery backup outlet I had no insteon issues, but SH sais not to plug in plm to UPS, yet having the ISY on UPS has no point either because in an event of a power loss the PLM will have no power and Ill have to reboot the ISY for it to see the PLM after power restore. <- If you're using the correct software for Z-WAVE the system will ignore the fact the PLM is missing and won't go into safe mode if the PLM is not present.

Answers in line . . .

NOTE: A layered approach in terms of electrical protection should always be done. This ensures fail over should one system fail or spec'd to intercede at a much higher voltage rating. This is why point of use Type 3 SPD's should be used in conjunction with Type 1 & 2 primary / secondary SPD's.

Regardless of all the high tech stuff in place a properly grounded electrical system with low resistance (less than 50 ohms) must be present.

Lastly, no amount of electronics will protect your home against induced voltages over the air, none. 

Archived