Release 2.6.13 beta is now available

Michel Kohanim

I unplugged all my Christmas Lamp/ApplianceLincs after Christmas, but continued to use the scene to control other lights in the group. Today I plugged them all in again to remove them from my Christmas Lights scene. When I opened the admin console, ISY said they couldn't be found (Note that I had previously opened the Admin console when they were unplugged... it's like it memoried that they had been unplugged). I tried turning the scene on & off repeatedly, ISY reported that only 1 of the 5 were responding every time I turned it on.

If I turned on a device individually, ISY said it was responding okay - and from that point on, ISY displayed that device also responded in the scene. This was the case with each device - once turned on individually, then ISY said it was working in the scene.

Unfortunately... I had them all stacked back-to-back with nothing plugged into them, so I can't say if they really were responding or not, but it sounds similar enough to the group response issue, I thought it was worth mentioning.

In addition to the communication problems I'm having with .13, I have some program execution problems as well. My program below works most of the time how ever occasionally it does not turn the light off. The program summary also shows that the program finished in the same second that it started. Thats not possible if it really executes the Wait and Off statements. It does execute the Set 35% because the lights turns on to 35% however it never turns off.

If

Control '2nd Floor_MS Hall Sen' is switched On

And Program 'ISYPrg_Sunset Inside Lts Prg' is True

Then

Set '2nd Floor_Hall Cans' 35%

Wait 5 minute

Set '2nd Floor_Hall Cans' Off

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Here's the Program Summary:

ISYPrg_Hall Motion Sensor ISYPrg_Hall Motion Sensor On - Idle False isyPrgGrp_Inside Light Scenes Fri Jan 08 22:36:45 CST 2009 Fri Jan 08 22:36:45 CST 2009

I have also noticed that if a program is "Running" and the RunIF is triggered again, the "Running" program stops in its tracks and basically a new instance of the program executes. I'm not sure if this behavior is intentional, but causing the "executing" code to stop in it's tracks due to a re-trigger is not desired IMO.

Using the program above as an example; If it is "Running" and at the Wait 5 minute statement then re-triggered with RunIF, the program stops, instantly restarts from the top then one of 2 things happen. If the IF evaluates to False when re-triggered, the light never turns off. If the IF evaluates to True when re-triggered, the 5 min wait starts from the moment of the re-trigger.

Any insight is appreciated.

Regards

Frank

What you are describing is exactly how the system works. I can't be sure without knowing what your 'ISYPrg_Sunset Inside Lts Prg' is doing, but I expect you are correct...it is becoming False while this program is executing.

ISY continually monitors the If section for state changes...even while it is executing the Then section. If something changes state, it re-evaluates the If statements and acts accordingly. Since in your case the If statements are no longer true, it executes the Else statements (in your case none) and sets the program status to False.

This may not be desirable for you as you have said, but this is how it works. You will need to account for this in your programming....without fully understanding what your 'ISYPrg_Sunset Inside Lts Prg' does, it is hard to say what to do to fix it.

In addition to the communication problems I'm having with .13, I have some program execution problems as well. My program below works most of the time how ever occasionally it does not turn the light off. The program summary also shows that the program finished in the same second that it started. Thats not possible if it really executes the Wait and Off statements. It does execute the Set 35% because the lights turns on to 35% however it never turns off.

If

Then

Wait 5 minute

Else

Here's the Program Summary:

ISYPrg_Hall Motion Sensor ISYPrg_Hall Motion Sensor On - Idle False isyPrgGrp_Inside Light Scenes Fri Jan 08 22:36:45 CST 2009 Fri Jan 08 22:36:45 CST 2009

I have also noticed that if a program is "Running" and the RunIF is triggered again, the "Running" program stops in its tracks and basically a new instance of the program executes. I'm not sure if this behavior is intentional, but causing the "executing" code to stop in it's tracks due to a re-trigger is not desired IMO.

Using the program above as an example; If it is "Running" and at the Wait 5 minute statement then re-triggered with RunIF, the program stops, instantly restarts from the top then one of 2 things happen. If the IF evaluates to False when re-triggered, the light never turns off. If the IF evaluates to True when re-triggered, the 5 min wait starts from the moment of the re-trigger.

Any insight is appreciated.

Regards

Frank

Eric, Thanks for your reply!

The ISY is new to me but at this point, unless it was explicitly instructed to stop, I would want a program that was in the process of running the THEN or ELSE code to continue to run to the end regardless how the IF would be re-evaluated. Otherwise its unpredictable, only some of the statements may have been executed, things could be left in a weird state and clean up code not run.

With this said, it should not be whats causing my light not to urn off.

The 'ISYPrg_Sunset Inside Lts Prg' is a program that runs at sunset and stays TRUE until sunrise.

If

From Sunset - 35 minutes

To Sunrise + 30 minutes (next day)

Then

Set Scene 'Scene_Inside Lts Sunset' On

Else

Set Scene 'Scene_Inside Lts Sunset' Off

So after sunset and before sunrise, the IF in the program in my previous post should only be re-evaluated each time the the '2nd Floor_MS Hall Sen' is switched ON (from Off to On). I this case (nighttime), it should always be TRUE and only run the THEN code. This would effectively restart the wait time if the program had already been "running" or turn the light on and start waiting if it was not running. Both are acceptable behaviors and is what happens most all of the time. However, occasionally the light never gets turned off and when I look the Program Summary the start and end times are the same. This makes it appear that the program was re-triggered and the IF evaluated as False therefore stopping the then code in it's tracks. At night the program should only be triggered to run when the motion sensor goes from OFF to ON and only run the Then code. I can't figure how the program would be re-triggered at night and not just run the Then code. There may be either a problem with my logic or the .13 ISY because I did not see this issue with .8.

Any help is appreciated. Frank

Hello Frank,

Programming the ISY is fairly straight forward, it's design for ease of use demands simplicity and allows many programs to run at once on a small processor. There are a few caveats though.

Could it be that the motion sensor is sending an Off? Or your Sunset program ends (becomes false).

A small change to your program could fix that.

If

Then
       Wait 5 minute

Else
       Wait 5 minute

Or use two programs. This is more in the line of ISY programming.

If

Then
       Run Program 'Hall Lights Out' (Then Path)

Else

Hall Lights Out

If 
       - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
       Wait 5 minute

Else

I do suggest using a scene rather than a device so you can control the ramp rate.

Rand

There really is only two things that can cause the behavior you are seeing (barring some weird glitch with the system)...either the MS is switched OFF or the program 'ISYPrg_Sunset Inside Lts Prg' is becoming false.

It does take some getting use to, but once you do it will be easier. As Rand said, it's design for ease of use demands simplicity (I like that!) but because of that there are some things that can trip you up.

The programs that Rand has displayed will help getting it working as you want for sure. I prefer the second method (with two programs) because I don't care much for using the Else statements when multiple conditions are used in the If section...but that's just me. Doing it with two programs gives you complete control. Once triggered, the second program could care less about the If statement in the first (except that it will restart if the MS goes from OFF to ON of course...which is desirable I think).

It happened this morning for the first time and again just a few minutes ago: The Power and Rx lights are steady, the Mem light blinks ever second or so.

If I close look at or relaunch the Administrative console. Everything APPEARS normal, but there is not any control over any of the devices, programs, or scenes. If I launch telnet, the second I log on I get a never-ending stream of I/O ERROR messages.

None of the programs run while in this state.

A manual reboot cures the problem, but what if I'm not home...(See the post @: http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=2176

Any guesses?

Joe

Hello RLIKWARTZ,

Are you still having intermittent issues with your older devices after going through all this?

With kind regards,

Michel

They are mosting light switches though I have one that is a relay type lamp switch that also is unreliable. I swapped it out with a new one, but it still intermittent. I swapped out my PLM and I've factory reset all my devices in the house and reloaded them through the ISY.

Hi Joe,

Boy, you do get the strangest problems. Was this Error and Mem blinking or just MEM? If so, do you have screen capture of the error? I checked our error codes and we do not have I/O error messages. Are you talking about "-2" errors?

With kind regards,

Michel

It happened this morning for the first time and again just a few minutes ago: The Power and Rx lights are steady, the Mem light blinks ever second or so.

If I close look at or relaunch the Administrative console. Everything APPEARS normal, but there is not any control over any of the devices, programs, or scenes. If I launch telnet, the second I log on I get a never-ending stream of I/O ERROR messages.

A manual reboot cures the problem, but what if I'm not home...(See the post @: http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=2176

Any guesses?

Joe

I'm having a new problem now. I had previously suspected it was related to my problem PLM, but it still is happening even though I have a new PLM...

The ISY goes in to a cycle, where the even viewer and the telnet both show:

Logger: -2 : n=[null] c=[null] a=[null]

Any ideas?

The RX light remains on when the ISY is in this cycle. If I disconnect from PLM and reconnect, upon restart ISY goes back to normal. Same if I powercycle the PLM.

Burak

Hi burakk,

Do you have any motion sensors? The next time this happens, please do be kind enough to take the battery out of all your motion sensors and let me know if it helps.

With kind regards,

Michel

I'm having a new problem now. I had previously suspected it was related to my problem PLM, but it still is happening even though I have a new PLM...

The ISY goes in to a cycle, where the even viewer and the telnet both show:

Logger: -2 : n=[null] c=[null] a=[null]

Any ideas?

The RX light remains on when the ISY is in this cycle. If I disconnect from PLM and reconnect, upon restart ISY goes back to normal. Same if I powercycle the PLM.

Burak

I'm still getting a status of 0 on my thermostat (infrequently) when the setpoint is changed. Would it be possible for the ISY to disregard a status of 0?

Thermostat	Heat Setpoint	71░	Tue 01/13/2009 05:00:01 AM	Program	Log
Thermostat	Status	0░	Tue 01/13/2009 05:00:02 AM	System	Log
Thermostat	Setpoint	71░	Tue 01/13/2009 05:00:02 AM	System	Log
Thermostat	Humidity	33%	Tue 01/13/2009 05:00:03 AM	System	Log

Hi burakk,

Do you have any motion sensors? The next time this happens, please do be kind enough to take the battery out of all your motion sensors and let me know if it helps.

With kind regards,

Michel

I do have a Motion Sensor. I'll try as you suggest.

Burak

Hi Joe,

Boy, you do get the strangest problems. Was this Error and Mem blinking or just MEM? If so, do you have screen capture of the error? I checked our error codes and we do not have I/O error messages. Are you talking about "-2" errors?

With kind regards,

Michel

Any guesses?

Joe

Michel:

Been in San Diego as previously mentioned.

No, only the Mem light blinks. The "I/O ERROR" repeating line occurred in the telnet session I launched while the ISY was in its Mem blinking state. NOT in the log.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Was it something like:

-2 15 15

If so, and if you have motion sensors, if this happens next time, please take the batteries out of your motion sensors and let me know if it helps.

With kind regards,

Michel

Roger, Doger!

Hope it happens...FOR THE GOOD OF ALL!

P.S. I don't recall if that data set was included in the I/O ERROR scroll.

I recently upgraded from 2.6.8 to 2.6.13 and discovered an issue. In the all off scene (and others), the window where I can set the Ramp Rate/On Level their is a large space right in the middle of the list of items. I would have to scroll down pages to finally see the remaining devices.

In other scenes just the on level will be missing or the ramp rate. The device will be there on some of the control items and missing on others or the main list.

I have the 99 IR pro

My system has 76 devices

I cleared Java and it shows up on XP and Vista computer.

Hello Baypointe,

Thanks so very much. This is a known bug and it shall be fixed.

With kind regards,

Michel

I recently upgraded from 2.6.8 to 2.6.13 and discovered an issue. In the all off scene (and others), the window where I can set the Ramp Rate/On Level their is a large space right in the middle of the list of items. I would have to scroll down pages to finally see the remaining devices.

In other scenes just the on level will be missing or the ramp rate. The device will be there on some of the control items and missing on others or the main list.

I have the 99 IR pro

My system has 76 devices

I cleared Java and it shows up on XP and Vista computer.

Is it just me or has the X10 side gotten unreliable all of a sudden?

Has anyone with X10 experienced a degradation in reliability?

Not sure it is the upgrade, but my 10 lights turn off whenever someone turns on or off another light. Anyone else seeing funky behavior?

aaronb,

This usually happens if your 10 lights have residue slave links to the other light OR if you have ELK.

If you do NOT have ELK, please try File->Restore Devices. If you do have ELK, please make sure the Future bits are set.

With kind regards,

Michel

With kind regards,

Michel

Is it just me or has the X10 side gotten unreliable all of a sudden?

Has anyone with X10 experienced a degradation in reliability?

Not sure it is the upgrade, but my 10 lights turn off whenever someone turns on or off another light. Anyone else seeing funky behavior?

I have a "Holiday" folder. After decorating for various holidays or parties, I want to manually enable the folder so it runs the programs in it every day until I disable it again.

However, because the "IF" program statement is blank for the folder, it does not show up under the "Program Summary" tab, so the folder cannot be manually enabled. Is this a bug, or is there another way to manually enable folders?

I have a "Holiday" folder. After decorating for various holidays or parties, I want to manually enable the folder so it runs the programs in it every day until I disable it again.

However, because the "IF" program statement is blank for the folder, it does not show up under the "Program Summary" tab, so the folder cannot be manually enabled. Is this a bug, or is there another way to manually enable folders?

I think you have found a bug!

I don't think there is any way to enable/disable folders and that option should not be displayed on the menu. There are other options on the folder menu that should not be there so you score +10 :)

I always Backup ISY and Export Programs before I make changes.

To enable/disable folders I use a Schedule. Uncheck all the options in On Days: All. Then the programs in the folder will never run. You should have a screen that displays this:

OnNever2.jpg

Delete the line when you want the programs to run and add it back when the holidays are over. It doesn't matter what time is displayed, be sure no boxes are selected on the "On Days:" line.

You should then have folder information like this:

OnNever3.jpg

Folder Conditions for 'Test'
Add conditions to limit when programs in this folder are allowed to run.

If
       On Never
       Time is  2:05:00PM

Then
  Allow the programs in this folder to run.

Be sure to Save your changes to test.

Rand

I can tell you ONE way of doing it:

if you want a folder to run, put no conditions.

If you don't want it to run, do this:

-click on the folder

-click "schedule"

-uncheck "days"

-click "add to if"

-save changes

this will tell the folder to run "never".

I can tell you ONE way of doing it:

if you want a folder to run, put no conditions.

If you don't want it to run, do this:

-click on the folder

-click "schedule"

-uncheck "days"

-click "add to if"

-save changes

this will tell the folder to run "never".

That is so much more concise than my answer!

Rand

Archived