Strip mall signs

jwarner964

Hi all

I'm looking at a job that the owner of the 4 unit strip mall wants to turn all the signs on and off at the same time. Each unit now controls their sign with a time clock in their own unit feed from their own panel. Any wireless way to get this done.

There are lots of RF choices, but RF distance is greatly diminished by walls, especially masonry and metal. Chances are you won't get more that 20-30', at best. Why not just set the time clocks to the same time? Admittedly, they won't turn on/off at the same instant.

Hi stu

Setting all the time clocks to the same is what seems the easiest, but they always get out of synce , the trips move,

The owner doesn't want to send the money to run wires and set up relays feed from a central clock or photo control, rental property owners never want to spend much money. He wanted to do something if it was cheap

Thanks

Hi all
I'm looking at a job that the owner of the 4 unit strip mall wants to turn all the signs on and off at the same time. Each unit now controls their sign with a time clock in their own unit feed from their own panel. Any wireless way to get this done.

Two options I can think of:

Are the signs together?

1) Go to HomeDepot get an electronic clock timer with a sundown time tracker in it. Intermatic is one example. I used this method before going X10. The time tracking does miss a little if its really cloudy and it gets dark early, but a reasonable cheap ($<100 parts) solution. There are models that can switch 30amps.... wire it  inside where the runs come to the panel (provide that the total is < 30 amps)

2)  insteon dual/band dual outlet modules and an ISY/PLM. The ISY can time tracks sundown like the intermatic, but more precisely for the location. Kick the extra point by installing a motion sensor's dusk sensor to catch early cloudy dusk days. I use this method for my yard lights, very happy with it and it trims power usage. The ISY is then a platform for other projects, if that's in the cards, and can be removed if moving.  The method might be better if the signs are separate locations... but it might mean more outlets

Paul

Archived