Remote Thermostat and ISY setup

steveng57

Hi all,

Got a new remote thermostat, the 2411zth.  I've had the wired version controlling my home for a while.  Bought this one to use to get data from the basement, need to control the temp and humidity down there. 

The instructions talk about setting it up to manually create a scene with with the master thermostat, but there are no guidelines on how to set this up with ISY.  How does one do this?  Add the device to ISY, then create a scene each for main, heat ctl, cool ctl, with both being controllers?  or just a scene for main?

I'd like the remote to be able to give an individual humidity level, so I don't want it to just be giving the output of the master or anything.

Also, the ISY admin console doesn't seem to be reporting the temperature of the remote, but it does display the humidity.  Not sure why this would be the case.

Thanks in advance.   

If you're only interested in data from the basement, then do not link the 2441ZTH the wired thermostat. You can add the thermostat in the same manner as any other Insteon device. The scenes you create depend on your need, not the thermostat, for example, I use Cool Ctl, but don't have a use for Heat Ctl.

The battery-powered thermostat does not respond to a query, so you can't use that to update/display the temperature, but if your goal is to be notified if the data is above and/or below set points, then programs can handle that. OTOH, if you have a need to know the actual values, then use a wired thermostat powered by a 24VAC power supply.

Hi all,

Got a new remote thermostat, the 2411zth.  I've had the wired version controlling my home for a while.  Bought this one to use to get data from the basement, need to control the temp and humidity down there. 

The instructions talk about setting it up to manually create a scene with with the master thermostat, but there are no guidelines on how to set this up with ISY.  How does one do this?  Add the device to ISY, then create a scene each for main, heat ctl, cool ctl, with both being controllers?  or just a scene for main?

I'd like the remote to be able to give an individual humidity level, so I don't want it to just be giving the output of the master or anything.

Also, the ISY admin console doesn't seem to be reporting the temperature of the remote, but it does display the humidity.  Not sure why this would be the case.

Thanks in advance.   

Temperature reports by exception to rules inside the 2441ZTH. The rules are outside about a 1.5 degree C bandwidth and you just have to wait for it to change that far. Take a hair dryer to it for a few seconds to start it off if you can't wait.

Humidity reports on a timed cyclic basis and can be used as a heartbeat to detect if the thermostat is still alive. Although it may report the same RH and ISY may not report the input to trigger programs.

I wouldn't use a wireless thermostat to control house temperatures if this is the only source of heat. Humidity, or for a heat source that is not the only one, and doesn't have the capacity to overheat an area, fine, but that is season dependant also.

I wouldn't use a wireless thermostat to control house temperatures if this is the only source of heat. Humidity, or for a heat source that is not the only one, and doesn't have the capacity to overheat an area, fine, but that is season dependant also.

The OP indicated that house temperature is controlled by a wired thermostat.

The OP indicated that house temperature is controlled by a wired thermostat.

Yup

" Bought this one to use to get data from the basement, need to control the temp and humidity down there."

In his case as long as the basement door stays closed and the heater isn't too large than not too many negatives can happen with a suck on heater.

I saw too many bad-meter complaints in my carreer from 1500 watt heaters, the kids left on in the basement sound room, when they went off to college last September.

"But the main furnace gas bill for the winter was real low for some reason."

Yeah "the heater is only a little one" but at

1500watts x 24hours x 31days x $0.20/kWh = $223.20 extra for the month. YMMV

Not the end of the world, if your Insteon comm fails, and the unmonitored heater sticks on, in an open space.

• 8 months later...

Finally getting around to setting this up for the winter.

My problem is that the wired thermostats on the main floor will shut things off at 70 or 72, but the basement can still be as cold as 65 when that happens.  So I want the small heater to augment the temp down there and bring it up to around 68, but it does not provide all the heat.  It also has an analog thermostat on it that is set to around 70, so the worst that would happen if communications are lost with the ISY is that the basement would get a little warmer than it should.  I also have an AWAY setting on it, so it doesn't come on at all if nobody is home.

Thanks much guys!

A question if I may though on programing it:

My remote thermostat is named "Remote" (original I know) and right now, the mode is set to "off" my code is hardcoded to a certain temp and looks like this:

If Status 'Thermostat / Remote Main'  <= 68 (Temperature) and $Away is 0

Then Set Scene "Basement heater" On

Else Set Scent "Basement heater" Off

Whereas I would like to be able to use the heat set point on the remote thermostat to set the desired temp.  How does one do that?

Set the mode to auto and change the code to:

If "Thermostat / Remote Heat Ctl" is witched On and $Away is 0

Then Set Scene "Basement heater" On

Else Set Scent "Basement heater" Off

Would that work?

Think of the thermostats as Main and Basement that have no relationships to each other except those you create, not as Master and Remote. Then, test your programs using current conditions. Try at least a condition that's true. then change the condition in the program (because you can't easily change the air) to false. Did you get your desired result(s)?

Sure, I get that the remote thermostat is completely indepentant of the main one.  I have not linked them in any way.  My question is more about the right way to program the the ISY so that is uses the "Heat Set Point" that a user might set on the remote to base its decisions instead of hardcoding the temperature to turn things on/off.

Archived