Cannot Determine Insteon Engine LED PAR 38

I am trying to install a new Insteon PAR38 LED Can light bulb (2674-222).  I tried using LINK MANAGEMENT > Install new Insteon Device again using "Auto Discover" then followed the instructions included with the bulb.  Nothing happened.  Those instructions said to screw the LED bulb into the light socket with the wall switch on.  Then back the bulb out of the socket enough that it goes dark.  Then screw the bulb back into the socket and it will begin beeping.  No beeping.  I tried using Add New Insteon Device again and I got "Cannot Determine Insteon Engine".  I tried the Address marked on the bulb witch did not seem to be formatted properly:  R3.5 3914.  Again got "Cannot Determine Insteon Engine".  I tried reformatting the address again to 35 39 14.  Again, same error message.  The instructions for installing the Insteon LED 2674-222 appear to be geared to the Insteon Hub, not the ISY994.  Are there different procedures for installing this bulb with the 994?

Thanks,

Terry

I actually bought 6 of these LED can lights and just noticed that they all are marked with the SAME address: R3.5 3914.  How does the ISY994 software tell them apart?

I don't have the bulb but it sounds as though either you're not properly setting it into linking mode or you have comm issues.

"Cannot Determine Insteon Engine" is often a result of poor comms.  You might open Event Viewer to Level 3, follow the linking instructions then copy trace to clipboard and post back results.

Also, if you have the 99i there isn't firmware to support it.  The 2674-222 was added in firmware 4.1.2 and I don't think it's compatible with 99i.

Jon...

I actually bought 6 of these LED can lights and just noticed that they all are marked with the SAME address: R3.5 3914.  How does the ISY994 software tell them apart?

That's not the Insteon address, it appears to be a date code and hardware version. The address will be  XX.XX.XX 

x will be a number from 0 to 9 or a letter from A to F

What version of the ISY firmware are you running?

The controller is an ISY994i running software v 4.3.26.  I was aware that the format for the address on the bulb's label was not the proper format, but if was close and there was no address printed anywhere else on the bulb or package.

OK, found it.  It is printed in the center of the face of the bulb (2C 51 FA), like where you'd normally find "Sylvania 65W 120VAC".  Who'd have thought?  Back to work.  Thanks guys.

Terry

I have 24 devices in my HA system for years and I've never seen the address printed anywhere except on a label on the back of the device.  Oh well.

Now I know.  All's good.  Thanks again for your help.

Terry

That's the standard location for the LED floodlight ID, just below the word, "INSTEON." SwitchLincs and KPLs have the ID on the front, plug in devices on the back.

Archived