Going to get started.

aLf

I just recieved my ISY. Thank you. I have read both the regular manual and the advanced. My question is whether there has been a step by step, what to expect series of happening written on this forum to help a non-programmer type like myself in getting started and being sucessful in the setup? My guess is that it will be a simple process once I get going, but some helpful hints would be nice.

A couple questions too...

1) I see that Lat-Long is custom, can you pinpoint ones exact Lat Long in ISY? I have the exact numbers. I'd rather not use a location 100 miles from home.

2) I don't have internet capability on location yet, can I upgrade firmware at another location first?

3) Can you configure this to look at a KPL button for status of what if(s)? i.e., Button A is on (I'm home) now run this schedule, Button A off (I'm not home, run another schedule?

4) Can you link KPL Buttons to show actual status of a switch? i.e., Insteon Switch XX1 is turned on manually, then ISY runs a program for it to turn off, in Houselinc the KPL button would stay on, I'm hoping that now with ISY the Button will also go off as ISY turns it off! Do KPL buttons that control just one switch normally, light up as that switch is involved and turn on during a scene?

5) What is the best wireless router (model and serial) to buy knowing I will be installing DSL along with this conversion?

6) Does the password protection stop my nosey neighbor from hitting ISY, and with that in mind does a WEP on the wireless affect ISY or is the WEP issue precluded because ISY is Ethernet wired?

Let me know if there is any othe useful information that I can access before I get started with the conversion. Thanks

I just received my ISY. Thank you. I have read both the regular manual and the advanced. My question is whether there has been a step by step, what to expect series of happening written on this forum to help a non-programmer type like myself in getting started and being successful in the setup? My guess is that it will be a simple process once I get going, but some helpful hints would be nice.

Universal Devices Wiki

ISY-26 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1) I see that Lat-Long is custom, can you pinpoint ones exact Lat Long in ISY? I have the exact numbers. I'd rather not use a location 100 miles from home.

Lat-Long.com is not to bad of a way to get your city lat long. Just go to the site and type in your city and pick one of the listed items that is closest to you.

2) I don't have internet capability on location yet, can I upgrade firmware at another location first?

Yep just add it to any network you have and update it, or manually download the update and save it to a disk and load it up with another computer. The support page has the downloadable file.

3) Can you configure this to look at a KPL button for status of what if(s)? i.e., Button A is on (I'm home) now run this schedule, Button A off (I'm not home, run another schedule?

You can setup a ISY program to watch a "vacation button" on your keypadlinc. I am going to defer to let someone that has done this one help you.

4) Can you link KPL Buttons to show actual status of a switch? i.e., Insteon Switch XX1 is turned on manually, then ISY runs a program for it to turn off, in Houselinc the KPL button would stay on, I'm hoping that now with ISY the Button will also go off as ISY turns it off! Do KPL buttons that control just one switch normally, light up as that switch is involved and turn on during a scene?

Yes! The ISY makes it possible for the LED to follow single or multiple device scenes. The ISY has made the keypadlincs have the functionality they should have been built with in the first place. The early adopters (like me and others) have been hard helping them get good keypadlinc functionality working. Now remember the keypadlinc is a funny little device (I am being PC because I would like to call it some other names) so sometimes it can be difficult, but with the ISY there is the ability to easily reset devices and restore their programming from the ISY. So there are lots for the keypadlinc.

5) What is the best wireless router (model and serial) to buy knowing I will be installing DSL along with this conversion?

My personal favorite is the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G) which goes for $50 regularly and on sale for less. Best buy, Office stores, Walmart, Amazon, etc are all good places to find one.

6) Does the password protection stop my nosey neighbor from hitting ISY, and with that in mind does a WEP on the wireless affect ISY or is the WEP issue precluded because ISY is Ethernet wired?

Yeah the ISY password protection will keep others out. You would have to get a network bridge device to connect the ISY wirelessly and in that bridge you would setup you encryption so it has no affect on the ISY.

Mark,thanks for your feedback.

Alf,

Welcome. I am going to supplement Mark's feedback only where necessary:

1. Yes, you can enter your own exact lat long. On Configuration, click on Change Location, and then at the bottom enter your own lat/long

2. You can always checkout http://www.universal-devices.com/supp.htm for the latest firmware, download it, and take it with you to your location

3. YES: ISY knows when a button is pressed and updates the status on the console while giving you the capability to create triggers based on the status or button press.

4. ISY - and for that matter any other device - can not turn on/off the backlight on KPL sub-buttons (such as b, c, d, e, f, g, h). But, if you put any of those buttons in a scene, then you can turn on/off the scene and the KPL's backlight indicator will follow

5. WRT54G is a good router and one that we support.

ISY is connected with ethernet cable to your router. If your nosy neighbor has your WEP key + your ISY userid/password then s/he can surely access ISY.

If you put ISY on the internet (File->Enable Internet Access), then everyone in the world can access your ISY provided that they know your url and your ISY's user id/password

Please don't hesitate to contact us with your questions,

With regards,

Michel

I just recieved my ISY. Thank you. I have read both the regular manual and the advanced. My question is whether there has been a step by step, what to expect series of happening written on this forum to help a non-programmer type like myself in getting started and being sucessful in the setup? My guess is that it will be a simple process once I get going, but some helpful hints would be nice.

A couple questions too...

Let me know if there is any othe useful information that I can access before I get started with the conversion. Thanks

Mark & Michel:

Thanks for the question and answer session! The biggie was the fir st though. Is there any better documentation to get started? Like I said, I have read all the enclosed documentation, but still feel like I'm wandering through a minefield a little. I fly a 20MM corporate jet, so I know the tech knowledge will come as get my feet wet, just had hoped that someone might have made a step by step, (what to expect to see) as I implement ISY. If not, next week I'm diving in :shock: . Thanks.

aLf,

The most important features are in Help/User Guide which is probably the best place to get started.

Also, if you'd like, we can give you a call and walk you through it. The most important concepts are:

1. Controllers ... devices that can control other devices

2. Responders ... devices that can respond to other devices

3. Linking ... the process through which you link devices into ISY (either through Link Management->Start Linking or using the button with two arrows in opposite directions)

4. Scene ... a grouping of devices where some play as controllers and some as responders. To create a scene, click on Link Management->New Scene or the button that looks like a color pallette

Now:

a. Some devices are only controllers only such as ControLinc, RemoteLinc ... To link them, you have to use Link Management->Link a ControLinc/RemoteLinc

b. Some devices are responders only such as inlinelinc, lamplinc, and outletlinc

c. Others are both suchas KeypadLinc, SwitchLinc

So, the first step is link your devices. To link:

1. Click on Link Management -> Start Linking (except for ControLinc and RemoteLinc)

2. In the ensuing dialog, choose whether or not you want to crawl and find other devices

3. Go around the room and click and hold the set button for the devices to be linked for 3-5 seconds

4. Come back to your computer and then click on the Cancel button

You can also add your devices by their addresses. To do so, choose Link Management->New Insteon Device.

Then, you'd create a scene:

1. Click on Link Management->New Scene

2. Enter a meaningful name for your scene

3. Press and hold the Ctrl button on your Keyboard, and then click on all the devices that you want to be in the scene

4. Right mouse click on your selection and choose "Move to Scene" menu option. In the ensuing dialog, choose the scene to which you want the devices moved (added)

5. You will be presented with a dialog which is going to give you the opportunity to change the role of the devices within the scene. Simply, click on your device, and then click on Controller/Responder button to change the relationship.

6. Click OK

I think this should give you enough to get started.

With kind regards,

Michel

Mark & Michel:

Thanks for the question and answer session! The biggie was the fir st though. Is there any better documentation to get started? Like I said, I have read all the enclosed documentation, but still feel like I'm wandering through a minefield a little. I fly a 20MM corporate jet, so I know the tech knowledge will come as get my feet wet, just had hoped that someone might have made a step by step, (what to expect to see) as I implement ISY. If not, next week I'm diving in :shock: . Thanks.

Michel:

Thanks. I have done an entire 40+ switch setup with Houselinc. Is the current links and scenses that setup currently seen by ISY when I crawl? Am I better off to just go back to factory settings and re-program it all? I had kinda thought maybe the current scenes and stuff would just transfer over.

Also you mentioned an "outletlinc" I've got several places for them and had them wth my old X10 system. I didn't know they existed! I checked the SH website and can't find them. Do you know where they are?

Thanks

Alf,

Did you try the crawl? How did it work? I am just curious. It is said to transfer your scenes. I believe you may have to crawl from more than one controller to read all your links and scenes.

The OutletLinc is, possibly, a future product. I would not hold my breath. I have some 2 wire LampLincs plugged into short extension cords to hide them.

Rand

Hi Sub (Rand); I have not yet started the change-over. I will tackle it next week. I hope the crawl works, it will make life easier, maybe. Sometimes stuff like this is better from scratch. I'll let you know when I get done. The outletlinc will be a big seller I'm sure. I still have the X10 ones laying around, but I vowed no X10 with the Insteon. X10 was a such a nightmare for that house (northern WI) that I never want to deal with it again. One of my applications for that is a clock which has lighting in it which turns on at sunset. The lights are flourescent and the appliancelinc which luckily fits behind has failed several times and I'm starting to wonder if the flourescent starter is the culprit. Never had a problem with the old $8 X10 outlets. SH should get right on those as they would be 100% cleaner.

Thanks, aLf

PS. I Used to live on the corner of Wolf and Dundee, Corp. Pilot at PalWaukee.

Hello aLf,

Yes, you can do crawl and bring your existing links/scenes. From past experiences with crawl, I personally feel that you'd be spending more time trying to debug that it would take to start semi-fresh (see below). Here are the reasons:

1. In 95% of the cases, there are half links in the devices: a device has a master link and the other devices doesn't have the associated slave link and vice versa

2. You might have added devices that you have since removed but their remnants are still there

3. ControLinc, SocketLinc, and RemoteLinc do not respond to ID Req, so if you start from a device that includes any of these, then you will have to do another crawl starting from them

ISY brings in all your links and tries to make sense of them. In most cases it's successful, but if you have too many contradictory links, then ISY simply chooses what it thinks makes the most sense but that might not be the reality.

I personally suggest a semi-crawl which means that ISY would try to bring in all your devices but without their links. This way, you will not have to go through adding one device at a time but at the same time you will start with a fresh device database (ISY will overwrite all your existing links).

Anyway, here are your options when you add a new device or do start linking:

1. Overwrite existing links --> use this only if you want to add devices one at a time

2. Add devices found in links --> this is the semi-crawl; it brings in all your devices but without their links; it overwrites your existing links

3. Add devices found in links and keep existing links --> this brings in all your links

For options 2 and 3 - and if you have any of ControLinc, RemoteLinc, or SocketLinc, please start from them. Also, if you want ISY to find the most number of devices in the first shot, simply start with a device that has the most number of links to any other device.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Sub (Rand); I have not yet started the change-over. I will tackle it next week. I hope the crawl works, it will make life easier, maybe. Sometimes stuff like this is better from scratch. I'll let you know when I get done. The outletlinc will be a big seller I'm sure. I still have the X10 ones laying around, but I vowed no X10 with the Insteon. X10 was a such a nightmare for that house (northern WI) that I never want to deal with it again. One of my applications for that is a clock which has lighting in it which turns on at sunset. The lights are flourescent and the appliancelinc which luckily fits behind has failed several times and I'm starting to wonder if the flourescent starter is the culprit. Never had a problem with the old $8 X10 outlets. SH should get right on those as they would be 100% cleaner.

Thanks, aLf

PS. I Used to live on the corner of Wolf and Dundee, Corp. Pilot at PalWaukee.

Michel:

Thank you for the answers. I am anxious to get going on it. I will do the semi crawl method. I assume that after I get the devices, relink them and reset-up my scenes that the download from ISY to the system will be just like Houselinc does with the hour plus writing of code through the system? Your comments lead me to believe that after that everything my system knows now will be wiped out. That siad, I guess it will be best to write down the current scenes and their contents, i.e., ramp rates and preset levels for each member of a scene. I also assume that the (NEW) scenes that I replicate are then added to, say a KPL button?

What inside scoop do you have on the Outletlinc that you talked about? I really would like to get my hands on some of them. Is there a Beta?

Your service to customers is the BEST thing I've seen in any product.

Regards, aLf

aLf,

My pleasure!

ISY is unlike HouseLinc in the following manner:

With ISY, whatever you do, is immediately programmed into the devices. This means that you can immediately test and see whether or not your configuration is "what you like".

So, for instance, let's say you create a scene called Sunrise and you drag and drop 20 of your devices in that scene. As soon as you press OK, ISY starts programming all of your 20 devices at the end of which you can test and see if everything worked. You can then update your scene parameters to those that you want (on level/ramp rate) and make sure you are satisfied. Again, all of these happens immediately.

Yes, it would really be a good idea to write down/print your current settings. When everything is in ISY, you can simply create your own topology (Tools->Generate Topology) and keep it for future reference.

And, before you go to your cabin, please send us an email so that I can point you to the latest code (tech@universal-devices.com).

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel:

Thank you for the answers. I am anxious to get going on it. I will do the semi crawl method. I assume that after I get the devices, relink them and reset-up my scenes that the download from ISY to the system will be just like Houselinc does with the hour plus writing of code through the system? Your comments lead me to believe that after that everything my system knows now will be wiped out. That siad, I guess it will be best to write down the current scenes and their contents, i.e., ramp rates and preset levels for each member of a scene. I also assume that the (NEW) scenes that I replicate are then added to, say a KPL button?

What inside scoop do you have on the Outletlinc that you talked about? I really would like to get my hands on some of them. Is there a Beta?

Your service to customers is the BEST thing I've seen in any product.

Regards, aLf

Michel: Hi again!

I will be able to take an exam on this shortly! Question... Here is my course of action, is it correct?

1) Contact you for details on getting 2.5 or 2.5 BETA.

2) Either by short crawl or best manualy insert all Devices.

3) Create all links between devices, i.e., master/slaves, KPL & SW

4) Re-create scenes, creating never before use of backlighting of KPL's

5) Create what if's, i.e., "If KPL A is on do this, Create schedules, i.e., at 1:00AM switch 1 off", etc. "If KPL A id off do this, Create schedules at 1:00AM set switch 1 on-20%", etc.

6) Set Lat-long to my exact location.

7) Never, ever use Houselinc again.

Now that said, I select File->Restore Devices and ISY will overwite the entire links and scenes in my network (those previously set up with Houselinc)? The reason for my asking this is that almost all of my Insteon switches have shown wierd links in them from new, links to Insteon device ID's which do not exist in my home. SH has always said that switches are tested in the lab ( I interpreted that as "returned switches" were tested in the lab and then re-sent out to customers, therefore leaving an errant link to some switch back at SH (or previous owners system). This has continually shown up when crawling my system with Houselinc.

If the aove is true, I assume that after File->Restore Devices, I will have a "high watermark" set as to my exact link files, etc. both in ISY and my system?

Also, somewhere in the paperwork I read that ISY works best with a D-Link router, a poster, marksanctuary, reccomended a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G). Does it matter? I will use e-mail and notification, eventually.

Thank you.

aLf

aLf,

You get an A+ immediately! That's precisely what you should do and ISY shall take care of the rest (get rid of anything else that's not in ISY).

Routers, well, if you are not ever going to have remote access/notifications, then the router is immaterial. I personally recommend DLINK DIR-625 for the following reasons:

1. Its range and signal strength are unbelievable (compared to Linksys)

2. It's Wireless N, so I won't have to change routers when I get my Wireless N network card

3. It has never crashed on me

4. It works beautifully with ISY

Talk to you soon,

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel: Hi again!

I will be able to take an exam on this shortly! Question... Here is my course of action, is it correct?

1) Contact you for details on getting 2.5 or 2.5 BETA.

2) Either by short crawl or best manualy insert all Devices.

3) Create all links between devices, i.e., master/slaves, KPL & SW

4) Re-create scenes, creating never before use of backlighting of KPL's

5) Create what if's, i.e., "If KPL A is on do this, Create schedules, i.e., at 1:00AM switch 1 off", etc. "If KPL A id off do this, Create schedules at 1:00AM set switch 1 on-20%", etc.

6) Set Lat-long to my exact location.

7) Never, ever use Houselinc again.

Now that said, I select File->Restore Devices and ISY will overwite the entire links and scenes in my network (those previously set up with Houselinc)? The reason for my asking this is that almost all of my Insteon switches have shown wierd links in them from new, links to Insteon device ID's which do not exist in my home. SH has always said that switches are tested in the lab ( I interpreted that as "returned switches" were tested in the lab and then re-sent out to customers, therefore leaving an errant link to some switch back at SH (or previous owners system). This has continually shown up when crawling my system with Houselinc.

If the aove is true, I assume that after File->Restore Devices, I will have a "high watermark" set as to my exact link files, etc. both in ISY and my system?

Also, somewhere in the paperwork I read that ISY works best with a D-Link router, a poster, marksanctuary, reccomended a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G). Does it matter? I will use e-mail and notification, eventually.

Thank you.

aLf

Routers, well, if you are not ever going to have remote access/notifications, then the router is immaterial. I personally recommend DLINK DIR-625 for the following reasons:

2. It's Wireless N, so I won't have to change routers when I get my Wireless N network card

Darn I just replaced my wireless with the linksys router I suggested above and I only have an issue with the signal strength. I get 65% signal strength in the family room with the router in our bedroom closet mounting up high on the wall.

Mark,

Have you run out of the return period?

With kind regards,

Michel

Darn I just replaced my wireless with the linksys router I suggested above and I only have an issue with the signal strength. I get 65% signal strength in the family room with the router in our bedroom closet mounting up high on the wall.

Archived