How to use a garage photo sensor with the iolinc?

Blackbird

The iolinc requires a dry closure [no voltage when activated] to connect the Sensor Input to the Ground terminal.

The photo sensor would need a dry closure to work or have a way to trigger a small relay to do the dry contact closure.

Do you have a specific model in mind?

My guess it that these sensors just trigger a 12 vdc signal at the GDO that could take a sensitive realy to isolate and interface to a I/OLinc input.

Some electronics knowledge would be necessary to do the measurements and trial and error necessary to make this work.

A solid state opto-isolator type or even a diode, capacitor and a few voltage dropping resistors could make it work but polarities and more expertise would be necessary. An open collector buffer transistor may work better yet.

I am looking to do the same thing on my furnace fan with 6-7 input speed controls at 24vac each going into an I/OLinc sensing.

My guess it that these sensors just trigger a 12 vdc signal at the GDO that could take a sensitive realy to isolate and interface to a I/OLinc input.

Some electronics knowledge would be necessary to do the measurements and trial and error necessary to make this work.

A solid state opto-isolator type or even a diode, capacitor and a few voltage dropping resistors could make it work but polarities and more expertise would be necessary. An open collector buffer transistor may work better yet.

I am looking to do the same thing on my furnace fan with 6-7 input speed controls at 24vac each going into an I/OLinc sensing.

The fact that I didn't understand most of what you wrote, tells me it might be beyond my skill

The fact that I didn't understand most of what you wrote, tells me it might be beyond my skill

Well If I knew exactly what I was doing and had worked it out to always work, maybe I could instruct you to be able to do it yourself.

Having said all that, I can't.  It would still be in the experimental stage for a boy that's been doing this kind of thing for many decades. :)

At this point, usually somebody with different angle of experience pops in and says....why don't you just use this gadget?

...and that is what the forum is all about. :)

An in-wall motion sensor connect to a Micro Module is all you need. If you use that as the garage light switch, it will also light up the garage which will suddenly surprise someone sneaking stealthily, surely sending spinal shudders B)

I'm not sure of the brand, I believe it is a chamberlain. It is an extra set of photosensors I have and unrelated to my garage door. Just thought it would be a cheap idea to use it to detect people walking into my pathway.

What you probably need is a driveway beam sensor. Heres an easy way, there are hardwired options from other companies too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7oI1pTejUg&sns=em

Archived