The FBI Can Neither Confirm Nor Deny Wiretapping Your Amazon Echo

Scottmichaelj

Yes, as the article illustrated its a police states dream to see tens of millions of people all buying these microphones. No need to tap a phone which may never be used when you have a *Always On* microphone like the Echo.

As I mentioned in at least two threads in this forum this is why during a security lock down the Amazon Echo is completely killed while not in use.

With anything I do its always done in threes . . .

The device is blocked from XXX time to XXX time from the router and firewall. Next the power to the Echo is completely removed and when meetings are happening a sound absorbing cover is placed over the top of the unit for the clients to see.

Doing all three ensures the unit is never able to be listening or activated by someone other than me, ever.

Yes, as the article illustrated its a police states dream to see tens of millions of people all buying these microphones. No need to tap a phone which may never be used when you have a *Always On* microphone like the Echo.

As I mentioned in at least two threads in this forum this is why during a security lock down the Amazon Echo is completely killed while not in use.

With anything I do its always done in threes . . .

The device is blocked from XXX time to XXX time from the router and firewall. Next the power to the Echo is completely removed and when meetings are happening a sound absorbing cover is placed over the top of the unit for the clients to see.

Doing all three ensures the unit is never able to be listening or activated by someone other than me, ever.

I actually have been thinking about selling my two Echos. The novelty has worn off and although it works a "majority" of the time the other times it doesn't is becoming a hassle. I don't like how Amazon changes things and wipes out my program phrases on a whim. So what is working today possibly won't tomorrow. I am looking at alternatives like Tasker. Bottom line (my fav saying) at the end of the day should I care that Amazon is listening or my smartphone? My smartphone is able to listen and track.

I actually have been thinking about selling my two Echos. The novelty has worn off and although it works a "majority" of the time the other times it doesn't is becoming a hassle. I don't like how Amazon changes things and wipes out my program phrases on a whim. So what is working today possibly won't tomorrow. I am looking at alternatives like Tasker. Bottom line (my fav saying) at the end of the day should I care that Amazon is listening or my smartphone? My smartphone is able to listen and track.

Send it my way if and when you decide.

Ha . . .

Is your dog constantly opening your "Roof" vent becoming a problem?

I am more worried about  my cell phone, ISP,  bank, and credit card company before someone listening to conversations in my home....there is voice and video content of higher interest online.   I can see this being a problem for some groups of people in some states or countries, especially with some (discriminatory)  laws created by our local governments. 

Is your dog constantly opening your "Roof" vent becoming a problem?

Almost every time I ask Alexa to "open the living room blinds" the living room lights turn on...maybe if someone was listening in they could fix this ;)

Unless you're controlling more than one set of blinds, try 'blinds' as a spoken instead of 'living room blinds."

I do have a few rooms with motorized blinds within range of the echo. Given the words sound nothing alike, I'm assuming Amazon is incorrectly correcting words to favor devices such as "lights". So it's just another echo failure.

Do all the other rooms work correctly with "room_name blinds?"

I've never been able to get "open" or "close" to work, so I still use on (cover the window) and off (uncover the window). Also, try a different spoken, such as slats. I found that "sheer" stopped working after some Echo updates, so we now use "curtain."

BTW, I gave each motorized window covering a name, often based on the view, for example, walkway, pathway, courtyard; sometimes based on their style, (e.g., verticals, blackout) and occasionally based on the room (in the case where a room has only one window covering, such as the "kitchen shade" (actually a Roman shade).

I have my echos plugged into controllable outlets so I can turn off completely when I don't want it on. This mainly occurs when friends bring kids over, they see it, and start issuing all sorts of commands. Now I don't have to worry about that

Good idea...  I actually have an extra outlet on an insteon dual-outlet that's near my echo.  I think I shall move the plug, and save some hassle when next I have guests over.

Do all the other rooms work correctly with "room_name blinds?"

I've never been able to get "open" or "close" to work, so I still use on (cover the window) and off (uncover the window).

Open and close work...at least for the living room and dining room. But at least half of the time it triggers the lights instead of the blinds.

I have my echos plugged into controllable outlets so I can turn off completely when I don't want it on. This mainly occurs when friends bring kids over, they see it, and start issuing all sorts of commands. Now I don't have to worry about that

This is a great idea. My 2 year old is already trying to turn on the TV in the morning, although the echo does not recognize her...yet.

Back to the original topic, I think a government agency could still get around this if the outlet can be controlled via the ISY (portal). Now that I am writing this I'm wondering: Does UDI have a Warrant Canary?

Well, let's see.

We have a miicrophone in each and every cell phone, iPad, laptop, webcam for Skype usage on the media PC,

and last but not least.....

....what about somebody hacking the microphone on the three Clappers I use for real HA?  :)

Both my dogs have microchips.  I bet the government has those equipped with microphones, too.   :roll:    This thread is in danger of turning into a meeting of the Tin-Foil Beanie club; everyone here who thinks the government has their echo tapped, go stand in line at the DMV, or stand in line at a security check at an airport for a while, just to remind yourself that this is a government made up of minimum-wage workers and bureaucrats -- they lack the competency and capacity.  Security by incompetence!

As stated in my first post I have nothing the government wants, so I have no worries either. But it is a topic that may interest people in or from another country.

There are people using my app in South America with the ISY, I'm not sure if they are using the portal, and they do not have Amazon echos...yet.

Both my dogs have microchips.  I bet the government has those equipped with microphones, too.   :roll:    This thread is in danger of turning into a meeting of the Tin-Foil Beanie club; everyone here who thinks the government has their echo tapped, go stand in line at the DMV, or stand in line at a security check at an airport for a while, just to remind yourself that this is a government made up of minimum-wage workers and bureaucrats -- they lack the competency and capacity.  Security by incompetence!

I live on the edge!

I don't ground my tinfoil beenie....   ever!.... I mean EVER!

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have your echos programmed to turn these outlets off?

No. There are no spoken commands for them. I simply linked their buttons to a keypad in my bed room so that I can turn them on/off as needed. If you wanted to use a spoken command I don't see there being any issues. I simply didn't do it to lessen the chance of someone doing it inadvertently.

Archived