Notify if single Insteon device is missing

n4bos

I have been searching for a (simple) way to get a notification if an Insteon device goes off line.  I have a (12V) backup system for my router, modem and alarm system that is powered by a large deep cycle battery and a Progressive Dynamics charger.  I would like a simple way to notify me if the power to the charger is off,  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Alex,

That looks like a neat device but I don't think that will do it.  If I read its literature correctly, it will tell me if the device plugged into IT is shut off but not if the power that is powering the controller itself goes away.  That's my problem.  If the circuit breaker supplying the controller trips or if that entire circuit goes down for some reason, I'd like to get an email.  I already get an email if the ISY reboots but not if a particular device under its control goes off line.

Thanks for the info though.

Steve

I have been searching for a (simple) way to get a notification if an Insteon device goes off line. I have a (12V) backup system for my router, modem and alarm system that is powered by a large deep cycle battery and a Progressive Dynamics charger. I would like a simple way to notify me if the power to the charger is off, Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Maybe a digital loggers product would work?

http://www.digital-loggers.com

Yeah gotcha. First thing tho, you didn't day the ISY is plugged into the 12V back up system.. If the ISY is off (in case your power goes down as you mentioned) then the is nothing to notify you..

So you need to monitor the 12V output from your generator, maybe use RPi to monitor that and if 12 is gone - set variable in ISY, which will trigger the notification program. OR don't delay in the ISY at all and make the RPi to send the notification directly.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I didn't state it well.....  I DO get an email if the ISY reboots as a result of a total power outage.  I have a routine that runs whenever the ISY restarts to reset some motion lights and send an email (and a txt) to tell me it has rebooted.  That's not the issue.  I want to know if the power to the CHARGER only goes down.  Here in Texas we are required to use arc-fault breakers.  They are notoriously unreliable and I have had several of them open for no apparent reason.  What I want to know is if the one that supplies power to the backup system charger goes down.  The ISY is NOT on backup power (on purpose) so that if the total power goes out, the ISY runs my reboot program and resets the outside motion lights.

I hope that makes it clearer.

The digital loggers above might work but that's an expensive way to do what ought to be a simple operation. 

As an example, I have a VERY remote Insteon switch in a distant building.  That switch occasionally drops off line and when it does, and I log into the administration console, a note pops up to tell me the switch is off line.  Running "Query All" brings it back on line so obviously, the ISY knows when something disappears.  It's that capability I'd like to take advantage of.

Steve 

There is a single IoT DLI device relay plug you can do a bunch of other things with it. Sense is also an option. Just a suggestion. I use the DLI in a lot of installs.

There is also the SnapAV wattbox in a small size. You have to buy from a reseller, which I am and can get you one.

http://www.digital-loggers.com/iot.html

http://www.snapav.com/p-1323-wb-200-ipce-3.aspx

Edit, with the DLI you could plug in the 12v trigger to the UPS and then create a function to email you on the 12v trigger. Do you have a make shift battery backup or is it a UPS? I ask because some UPS's have software if you run a PC that emails you before shutdown on a power loss. Maybe you can give more details? There is no simple cheap solution. 12v always on or off relays maybe the way to go. The wattbox can "ping" a device and then if it shows offline it will email or text (pushover notification) you too letting you know of power loss. Ping a AVR receiver? Just thinking out loud and brainstorming.

The backup system is a deep cycle battery and a Progressive Dynamics 3 stage charger maintaining a large 12 volt deep cycle battery.  The battery drives two different buck/boost converter boards, one that supplies 5 VDC and one that supplies 12 VDC.  The 12 VDC supply backs up the modem that is on the outside of the house and is a fiber modem.  It has its own 12 VDC supply and that supply is connected through a Schottky diode to the modem.  A second Schottky is in the line from the 12 VDC buck/boost converter so that the modem can use either 12 VDC supply.  In that way, if the "native" 12 VDC supply goes away, the backup supply takes over.

EDIT:  The 5 VDC supply runs the router so that even if the mains 125VAC supply is down, I can still communicate with the Cummin Onan whole house generator if I'm not at the site.  The ISY is NOT backed up so that if it goes down, from a 125VAC power outage, the reboot routine when the 125VAC supply comes back (either commercial or generator) will reset the outside motion lights as well as send an email to tell me it has been off if I'm not at the site.

What I am trying to do is get a notification of the power (125VAC) to the Progressive Dynamics charger goes down...... even while the ISY is still up.  There is only one circuit in the room where the Progressive Dynamics charger and battery are located so if that goes down, there's no power to run an Insteon device.  That's why I was hoping to use the fact that the ISY will see it as missing to trigger the email event.

BTW, the generator sends me an email if starts so that's why I need to keep the modem and router up even if the 125VAC system goes away.

Does that explain it???

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived