v0.9.712 -switching comms

larryllix

I have found tis same thing with most apps but somewhat strangely with Agave.

Once I connected via Secondary  via SSL WAN with a 5 digit port Agave would not reconnect again with the LAN IP.

I turned off the Mobile radio, selected primary comm, only and all I could ever get was "Update Failure"

I tried the refresh and completely shutting it down in Android but not happening, once it was connected via Mobile Radio WAN.

Another strange happening was that switching off a device with the right gui switch showed failure but the slider acted like it was happening.  Agave acted like it wasn't aware using that gui technique.

Currently I can't get the Primary comm via LAN IP to function any more. That was working until I installed a port forward and got the WAN method connecting then stopped???

I don't think I have found an app, yet, that can follow the comm switching in my Galaxy 4.  All the apps s far seem to establish their comm method on app boot and if it changes they are hung.

Doesn't seem like Android gave out a good device independent OS hook before. :( Still back in the 70s OS levels? :)

Android can (and does) notify apps when the connection method changes (via broadcast intents). It's up to the app to implement it.

I do this in my app - but I also have the user declare which specific said/bssid is their home network (for the local connection) so that other wifi networks are still treated as remote.

I don't know about Agave though. I've not really tested dynamic switching of the network to see if it notices.

I experienced both oddities you are experiencing. I fought the LAN/WAN issue for some time before it settled down and started working well.

First, to et things sorta working again, I found that the only thing that worked was to delete the app and reinstall it. Next, I found connecting via WAN first was helpful, then set the connection priority to secondary first LAN, then WAN.

Do you have a certificate installed and what key strength are you using? What really helped me was dropping the key strength. I was originally set at 2048. I could never prove it, but it always felt like the app was timing out before connecting.

Dennis

I experienced both oddities you are experiencing. I fought the LAN/WAN issue for some time before it settled down and started working well.

First, to et things sorta working again, I found that the only thing that worked was to delete the app and reinstall it. Next, I found connecting via WAN first was helpful, then set the connection priority to secondary first LAN, then WAN.

Do you have a certificate installed and what key strength are you using? What really helped me was dropping the key strength. I was originally set at 2048. I could never prove it, but it always felt like the app was timing out before connecting.

Dennis

Thanks.

I see no key strength setting.

I have no certificate installed. I didn't know one was needed or possible.

The only selections for connection are Primary, Secondary, or Automatic, no "priority", that I can see. Was that what you meant?

EDIT: OK after another search in v1.xx I found the greyed out Connection priority you referred to.

It seems there is some confusion as the app appears to search in the Connection priority order when in Automatic Selection mode.

However when the Primary Only connection mode only is selected, it doesn't work.

I believe when the order was Secondary Connection first, and it wasn't found available, the connection search failed and stalled.

Right now I have the LAN access working again, but only in Automatic mode, and with the Connection Priority as Primary, then Secondary. Any other order or connection mode won't function throwing the "Update Fail" error. Looks to be just some minor comm selection logic algorithm error there.

Thanks.

The only selections for connection are Primary, Secondary, or Automatic, no "priority", that I can see. Was that what you meant?.

The certificate and key strength I was talking about is in the ISY and is under Network Security. It is accessible from the Dashboard. If you have no certificate installed I don't think it would be a factor. If you want to check, there is a Wiki article you ca refer to.

Thanks.

The only selections for connection are Primary, Secondary, or Automatic, no "priority", that I can see. Was that what you meant?

EDIT: OK after another search in v1.xx I found the greyed out Connection priority you referred to.

It seems there is some confusion as the app appears to search in the Connection priority order when in Automatic Selection mode.

However when the Primary Only connection mode only is selected, it doesn't work.

I believe when the order was Secondary Connection first, and it wasn't found available, the connection search failed and stalled.

I completely agree with your assessment and found the same thing. After reinstalling the app and setting up only a primary WAN connection, I went back and added my LAN as secondary. After that was working I long pressed on the secondary connection in priority order and dragged it so it was first. It was the only way I could get the connections to work and this was on two different Galaxy S4's.

However, I still had problems until I dropped the key strength. If this isn't a factor for you, I am out of ideas.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

The certificate and key strength I was talking about is in the ISY and is under Network Security. It is accessible from the Dashboard. If you have no certificate installed I don't think it would be a factor. If you want to check, there is a Wiki article you ca refer to.

I completely agree with your assessment and found the same thing. After reinstalling the app and setting up only a primary WAN connection, I went back and added my LAN as secondary. After that was working I long pressed on the secondary connection in priority order and dragged it so it was first. It was the only way I could get the connections to work and this was on two different Galaxy S4's.

However, I still had problems until I dropped the key strength. If this isn't a factor for you, I am out of ideas.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Thanks Dennis.

Your suggestions got me going again on the LAN.

Glad you were at least able to get that going.

I guess I better test it for WAN access now, before I get out somewhere and attempt to use it. :)

If my guess is correct it won't work for WAN access now due to the order of preference being 1 then 2 now. I may have to reverse it again. :(

Archived