Garage door module not linking

This has definitely been a journey. I picked up the garage door module in December of last year and hit the first hurdle requiring a dry contact switch. With that now installed and everything functioning manually I have hit my second hurdle being an inability to link the device to ISY. I have tried both automatically and manually to no avail. I have run an extension cord to various outlets around the house and still nothing, including plugging into an outlet that is controlled by ISY already. I have various dual band devices throughout the home at this point so I don't think it has anything to do with bridging.

Anyone else experience like challenges? Not sure where to go from here.

The IOLinc (garage door module) is a single band device. You most likely have some type of communications issue. When you try to link the device via the ISY what happens? Do you get an error message?

I would suggest doing a factory reset on the device then try linking it again using the new Insteon device option in the ISY.

No error message. When I use the auto discovery nothing is found. When I attempt to manually add the device nothing happens; I hit OK, the window goes away then nothing.

When adding the device manually I'm selecting New Insteon Device. Should I be selecting something else like Control link?

Any hint on how to factory reset?

Hi, here is the reset procedure:

1. Unplug the iolinc
  2. Wait 10 seconds
  3. Hold the set button and plug back in
  4. Continue holding the set button for 3 seconds,
  5. The status led will flash on, off and then back on after a few seconds

That will reset it. Hopefully it will be visible and add back in. I have 3, I've had trouble setting them up as well, however once they are set up, they work well.

Paul

No error message. When I use the auto discovery nothing is found. When I attempt to manually add the device nothing happens; I hit OK, the window goes away then nothing.

When adding the device manually I'm selecting New Insteon Device. Should I be selecting something else like Control link?

Any hint on how to factory reset?

After factory resetting the I/OLink make sure you don't already have it linked to ISY, making it continually reject adding the same device address.

After factory resetting the I/OLink make sure you don't already have it linked to ISY, making it continually reject adding the same device address.

Sorry for the ignorance, where would I go to see that it isn't already added? It is not present under the full list of devices.

Failing that it looks like I'll have to contact Insteon. I have reset the device countless times to no avail. What is interesting is the inconsistent way it responds to the reset. Some times it beeps continuously until I let go of the button, then the LED stays lit before I hold the button down a second time for it to start blinking for linking. Other times it beeps a couple of times then the LED starts blinking when I let go of the button. Then other times it beeps continuously until I let go of the button and the LED does not stay lit nor does it blink.

Sorry for the ignorance, where would I go to see that it isn't already added? It is not present under the full list of devices.

Failing that it looks like I'll have to contact Insteon. I have reset the device countless times to no avail. What is interesting is the inconsistent way it responds to the reset. Some times it beeps continuously until I let go of the button, then the LED stays lit before I hold the button down a second time for it to start blinking for linking. Other times it beeps a couple of times then the LED starts blinking when I let go of the button. Then other times it beeps continuously until I let go of the button and the LED does not stay lit nor does it blink.

I find devices hiding at the bottom and the top of the device tree and wondered why they won't link in myself.

This sounds like a defective unit to me. Eliminating all other factors when you just factory reset the unit and it acts different every time?

Big indicator there.

Just to make sure, select My Lighting and sort by Insteon ID, then search for the I/O Linc ID (which will appear twice, if at all).

• 2 months later...

Well, after many months I am finally able to resurrect this thread. After all of the playing I called Smarthome and they determined the device was faulty. I now have a new device installed and although I am making further progress, it is not linking. I have gone through the reset process 3 or 4 times now. ISY finds the device if I put it into syncing and also finds the device if I manually link however; either way the error message 'cannot determine insteon engine' is returned.  

I am a persistent man but wow, this is really trying. Any thoughts?

Could be noise in the garage. you might try moving the iolinc nearer to the PLM to add it to the ISY, then put it where it goes if/when it installs.

I also had to put an access point in the garage because 1 of 2 iolincs misbehaves if its not there.. the other iolinc and switches all work fine, its one iolinc... maddeningly plugged in the same box on the same circuit as its twin.

Paul 

If the PLM can "see" the device when linked from either direction, but cannot determine the "engine", that usually means that you have managed to punch that first small linking message through the noise, but the longer messages involved in determining the device type and its settings just can't make it through the electrical minefield on the power lines involved.

There are two things to consider:  noise generators, and signal suckers.  A UPS is a great example of a signal sucker, while any switching power supply (computer, TV, and most modern Garage Door openers have these) is a great example of a noise generator.  And since the IOLinc is a power-line-ONLY device, it cannot fall back to radio to send/receive the message.

Start by looking close to the PLM -- it may be that everything else you have is working courtesy of RF, for example if your PLM is plugged into an RF-filtering surge suppressor, or plugged into the same circuit as a UPS (or even worse, plugged INTO the UPS!).  If you find any of these, fix them -- put the PLM directly into the wall, unplug all the home electronics (including clocks and appliances) on that circuit.  Now do the same in the garage, including unplugging the opener itself.  Make a special check for easy-to-overlook things, like your cordless drill's battery charger, or the dog's electric invisible fence transmitter.

If that makes a difference, before you even plug things back in go place an order for 3 -- or 6 -- or 12(!) -- filterlincs.  Then plug things back in, one my one, testing to make sure that on the ISY you can do "meaningful" communications with the now-working IOLinc.  By "meaningful" I mean to do something more significant than "on" or "off" -- try reading the links table from the device as a diagnostic.  Unplug whatever makes it fail, and continue plugging things in -- if you're lucky, you'll be left with a small pile of things that when plugged in kill the signal completely.  If you're unlucky (like me, with my 12+ filterlincs), you'll find no one device that's the problem, rather they all degrade the signal just a bit, until the signal finally succumbs under the combined weight of modern cheap electronics.  If the former, a few filterlincs will make you happy.  If the latter, you'll need many of them, and powerstrips to combine devices so as to reduce the number of filterlincs.

(By the way, I have finally gotten so sick of Insteon's sensitivity to power line noise (and the fact that they have zero innovations in sensors and security), I've switched to z-wave.  One of the first z-wave devices I installed was a z-wave garage door opener to replace the IOLinc.  It's been flawless in operation.  Plus I can sleep better knowing that when I get my first (but inevitable) Insteon "ALL-ON" event, my garage door will, at least, stay closed...)

As always, I really appreciate the insight. I'll go through your suggestions and see where that leaves me. I too am concerned about the all on. I have only had it happen to me once but with the garage online that changes things. I'm not at all familiar with zwave, is it compatible with ISY?

So, a quick relocation of the device to an outlet inside and bingo, instantly discovered. Once configured I put it back into the garage and within minutes it could no longer communicate.

Looks like interference. I'm assuming filterlincs are available at smarthome?

So, a quick relocation of the device to an outlet inside and bingo, instantly discovered. Once configured I put it back into the garage and within minutes it could no longer communicate.

Is a GDO lamp in the motor unit on while you are testing?

I had a noisey lamp in mine and the remote for the GDO would open it from a block away but couldn't close it past the end of the driveway (lamp was on after opening). The bad lamp was almost touching the antenna for the remote control.

Virtrually everything in our garages is on a FilterLinc. Yes, SH sells them. You can test by unplugging and/or disconnecting everything in the garage.

It could be noise, it could be the signal is not making the distance in the power line for some reason.

I put an insteon access point / range extender in the garage and plugged it in at point where it had a clear line to RF in the rest of the house. That gave whole garage, which has multiple iolincs, switches and outletlincs, a clear signal path to the PLM and keypadlincs that control it. That fixed this problem for me.

Paul 

Archived