Thermostat bug?

MWareman

My Venstar is a few years old and doesn't report temperature correctly. It needs to be replaced. The new Venstar thermostats don't have the Insteon adapter port.

If the ISY had a Wi-Fi adapter that would solve a lot of issues.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Well, what's the alternative? The SmartHome thermostats are junk.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

There's also Zigbee, which the ISY has a module for instead of Zwave. I haven't used any to say if they work well or not  but it is another alternative besides Zwave and Insteon. And agreed, those Smartlabs tstats are junk.

My Venstar is a few years old and doesn't report temperature correctly. It needs to be replaced. The new Venstar thermostats don't have the Insteon adapter port.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

There's also the Venstar full color LCD tstats which are WiFi based and one of the contributors here (io_guy) has a made a software bridge for it. It's here in the Third Party Products section under Venstar.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

The ISY has a router with Wi-Fi attached to it, memory, a CPU and lots of memory space.

Yes. But the ISY doesn't have a Wi-Fi radio to communicate directly with Wi-Fi devices.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Direct communication between devices is not permitted in my LAN. All devices are patrolled by my router. It's just a switch in the router.

Direct communication between devices is not permitted in my LAN. All devices are patrolled by my router. It's just a switch in the router.

Okay. Not sure why that means the ISY can't be programmed to talk to Wi-Fi devices.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Okay. Not sure why that means the ISY can't be programmed to talk to Wi-Fi devices.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

My ISY talks to Venstar thermostats, Hue light bulbs, Milight strips and bulbs via my router that transmits WiFi signals but not directly. I do not allow "ad-hoc" or "direct connect" Wi-Fi.

The switch in the router disables all devices from communicating with each other.

My guess is this is similar to radio voice communications. All devices talk on one frequency and receive on another. The radio repeater, or in the Wi-Fi case,router, would be the only bridge between the frequencies.

When ad-hoc mode is desired, each device has to listen to the same frequency, or channel, that it talks on.

Archived