Azulle Quantum Access Mini PC Stick

Scottmichaelj

I'll throw in my chirp. Windows (standard, not even embedded in this case), with a not terribly well-known manufacturer, on wireless is far from the best route for home automation. Especially when you talk about multi-tasking it to use plex or Kodi.

Here's my machine. I installed it maybe three years ago and have done zero maintenance. It's the original Pi B (not a 2 or 3). It cost $30, no case and runs off those stupid 500ma USB bricks that everyone has 10 of. Aside from power failures in the house, I have never rebooted it.

There's a step-by-step how-to in the forum for setup.

attachicon.gifPi.jpg

This is full Windows 10 not embedded. If for any reason you don't want to use Wifi you could use ethernet via USB. That being said I haven't tested it and would be an additional cost (adding up more than a RPI). I don't have any power bricks sitting around but understanding I maybe the exception.

So are we all at the conclusion that we are going to go with RPIs? Why then is NodeLink a .exe file run on a Windows PC? I guess these are some questions that Michel should answer so we know what to expect going forward. It appears platforms for external nodes for v5 are starting to fragment ISY users.

Let me say one thing. As an AV installer I know first hand many ISY users who dont care what is behind the scenes as long as it works, me included. Although some of us dont have tons of time learning how to do it. Most people want plug and play. While I know some people will hate just remember getting people from the Smarthome hub to an ISY and the learning curve for that is huge. If UDI/devs make things even more complicated then we will loss more users. I would think the goal is to make things as user friendly as possible to drive more sales. I am also hoping sales money/donations also trickle down to the devs so its in the devs best interest to make it user friendly too regardless of their personal stance.

Feel like this is the wild west of the ISY v5. We need a clear direction for node server and all be on the same page.

It is an exe file because I develop in Visual Studio, don't get caught up on file extensions.  I chose VS because believe it or not, it is probably the most cross-platform friendly language out there that has decent performance - unlike interpreted languages such as python (and I refuse to touch Java).

A single VS exe can run on any OS, any architecture (RISC, ARM, 86, etc.) and platform (x86 or x64).  You'll also notice NodeLink is a single file, no installs.  In my mind that's pretty easy to handle and maintain.  Don't think the polyglot crew can say that.

A year ago we were only talking about node servers. Now we have a number of products integrated under nodelink, and also more integrated via polyglot by additional developers. My personal choice is the pi for reasons already listed by io_guy.

Having said that, it would be unfortunate for this thread reduce UDI's progress with V5/Nodeserver software architecture to a  ios vs android, ford vs chevy etc type of discussion. We all have a lot to be grateful for and can make our own risk/reward choices.

This 'winplug' will be one of many. Let this, and other, experiments continue and help as many of us a possible adopt v5.

Paul

Did I miss anything? Anything else I should try?

I would be interested to see the processes and memory utilization of the stick with the various application running. Does the USB Windows 10 have a *Task Manager* where you can invoke to see the running statistics? Also interested in knowing what active programs you intend to use 24.7.365 with this micro computer.

I would be interested to see the processes and memory utilization of the stick with the various application running. Does the USB Windows 10 have a *Task Manager* where you can invoke to see the running statistics? Also interested in knowing what active programs you intend to use 24.7.365 with this micro computer.

Remember this is a full Windows 10 PC so yes there is task manager. I would be happy to grab any data from it. Most of the time its sitting idle and consumes 1-2 watts. CPU use is low as is memory as none of the tasks really are pushing things. I dont think Plex server will work as Plex is CPU intensive. Filezilla FTP, NodeLink, Web Server, Chrome, Hue emulator all running at the same time are all low use programs not taking much power or CPU use until they are actively being used and the likelihood of using them all at the same time is slim. For a VM, not sure yet but cant think of any reason to run a VM on Win10 at least for me.

The 2GB of RAM memory would have me concerned for running any Windows version. I currently use a netbook with 2GB and it isn't pleasant in some situations like browsing the web.

I believe java stuff is a bear.

The ISY Admin Console takes about 5-7 minutes to fully load with programs. PITA.

Just two much virtual memory swapping with 2GB but as a controller it may be even cheaper than a usable and functional RPi and a lot easier for the average Joe to get up and running.

The one thing I don't see is a Toyota, Ford or GM symbol on the side for use as a personality control and ignition key. :)

Don't you just just hate having to re-adjust all your seat position, mirrors, radio stations, GPS setup, climate controls, and transmission shifting profile, after your wife had the car?

it is a little low, but if your aspirations are for a box to run nodelink and python, it could be plenty. It would probably worth the "old school" practice for desktop windows use as a server: Research unnecessary services, startup items and tray services and disable them to reduce memory use. 

• 8 months later...

It appears Azulle has released an update to the Quantum Stick Mini PC with the "Access Plus"

https://azulletech.com/product/access-plus-fanless-windows-mini-pc-stick/

The Access Plus, being the 2nd generation of the original Access LAN stick, is continuing the legacy of being the world’s only computer stick with an Ethernet port. Not only is it easy to setup and travel with, but it provides users a direct internet connection so you do not have to deal with buffering. With its Windows 10 operating system and combined graphics chip the design enables users to easily access programs and applications.

*The new mini PC stick is powered with a 64- bit Quad Core Intel Atom CherryTrail processor to make it even easier to use multiple applications at one time.

*With the 2 USB ports, users are able to easily connect their wireless keyboard mouse, printer, camera, or external hard disk, along with any other USB compatible devices.

*It doesn’t stop there, the Intel HD Graphics Card allows users to enjoy high definition 1080p video playback.

Also interesting me, they released a "Lynk Remote"

https://azulletech.com/product/lynk-pc-multifunctional-remote-control/

The ultimate multi-functional remote control recognized for its smooth Gyroscope technology and audio chat capabilities, complete with a backlit QWERTY keyboard and 3D motion sense handgrip for easy web browsing, media streaming, and creating a physically-engaged gaming experience. With the latest infrared AI technology, the Lynk is able to learn the functions of most remotes, including universal compatibility with televisions, computers and media streaming devices like Android TV Set-Top Boxes, XBOX One, PS4 and more.

•Comes with an internal microphone for clear audio chat input, directly received from the remote control itself through speech recognition software. This software is capable of serving you as an excellent choice for using Skype or Google Hangout to link to friends, family, or virtual meetings with fellow colleagues.

•Compatible with all major operating systems (Windows, Android, Linux) , which makes it even easier to navigate between surfing the web, watching movies, or chatting with friends and family.

Both look cool. I think I maybe addicted to mini PCs and remotes. lol The 64- bit Quad Core Intel Atom CherryTrail processor seems as a nice speed boost from the one I am using now. I have to say I am still very happy with the GEN1 for my needs as a headless PC. Now only to get Android running as a VM on it...hmmm...

Archived