Thermostat Recommendations

BigEfromDaBx

I do. I did want voice control, so I purchased a Honeywell WiFi voice control thermostat which, BTW, now has an Echo skill. But, I'm unable to use my voice turn heating or cooling on or off. A few program let me do that with the insteon thermostat. Others may have the same capability, but I've never had a problem using Insteon thermostats. That includes Insteon wireless thermostats for each zone and a wireless thermostat dedicated to the bedroom fireplace.

OK, maybe I don't love them, but I have no reason to dislike them B)

My Insteon (wired) thermostat kept spontaneously changing its setpoint due to spikes on the 24vac supply. Smarthome replaced it - twice and never solved the problem. I simply couldn't rely on it at all. I changed to a Trane zwave stat, and its worked flawlessly since.

Unfortunately, I've relegated the Insteon stat to 'junk' status...

Same with my Insteon wired stats. They randomly would turn on eco mode which moved both set points out 4 degrees. To make matters worse you can not query or change Eco mode via insteon commands.

So far I've replaced one with a venstar and have been happy with it so far.

I'm enjoying the same thermostat with voice https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Wi-Fi-Smart-Thermostat-Control/dp/B00EJIYUUU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1468390784&sr=8-2&keywords=RTH9590WF, but the Insteon thermostat provides infinitely more control using the ISY. I can even raise or lower the temperature vocally by 1º F (0.56º C) without concern whether the thermostat is in heat or cool mode. And I can change the mode, too.

Do any of these stats have things like:

- Warm/cold weather shut down?

- Dual schedules for heating and cooling

- Temperature control based on external sensors, especially ANDing or ORing with inside sensor

- Intelligent predictive setback compensation - most offer Intelligent setback recovery

- better than 1 degree F resolution or sttability?

I have a Venstar T7900 right now but it is very amateurish and seems to be created by a programmer, not an HVAC person.

@Stu: Can you voice that stat from heat to Cooling and vice versa?

Do any of these stats have things like:

- Warm/cold weather shut down?

- Dual schedules for heating and cooling

- Temperature control based on external sensors, especially ANDing or ORing with inside sensor

- Intelligent predictive setback compensation - most offer Intelligent setback recovery

- better than 1 degree F resolution or sttability?

I have a Venstar T7900 right now but it is very amateurish and seems to be created by a programmer, not an HVAC person.

@Stu: Can you voice that stat from heat to Cooling and vice versa?

Does the insteon do what you mention above?  I just might play it safe and stay with the insteon and cross my fingers that it doesnt freeze up like some people have mentioned.

Does the insteon do what you mention above?  I just might play it safe and stay with the insteon and cross my fingers that it doesnt freeze up like some people have mentioned.

I only have the 2441ZTH, wireless.

Answer: It does none of the above mentioned features.

Really? I thought the 2441ZTH can be used as an extra sensor being that its wireless. Does it piggy back off of the 2441TH?

It is designed to piggyback off the 2441TH but ISY can control and recieve their signals directly.

Having no hard contact o/p they are really only probe sensors for control elsewhere.

I use one 2441ZTH units for humidity control in my cold cellar (ISY logic), and one for freeze alert/backup heater in my utility room (ISY logic). The OnOffLinc also acts as an Insteon repeater being at the corner of the L in my home and also acts as a powerline signal injector into one Inverter created phase/leg.

It is designed to piggyback off the 2441TH but ISY can control and recieve their signals directly.

Having no hard contact o/p they are really only probe sensors for control elsewhere.

I use one 2441ZTH units for humidity control in my cold cellar (ISY logic), and one for freeze alert/backup heater in my utility room (ISY logic). The OnOffLinc also acts as an Insteon repeater being at the corner of the L in my home and also acts as a powerline signal injector into one Inverter created phase/leg.

So its basically a remote control to the 2441TH that reports back?

So you dont have a 2441TH?  You're only using remote sensor capabilities?  Which thermostat are you using?

So its basically a remote control to the 2441TH that reports back?

So you dont have a 2441TH? You're only using remote sensor capabilities? Which thermostat are you using?

Posts #57, 59, & 64

I use 2441ZTHs directly to ISY, for minor functions.

I use Venstar T7900 for my A/C and some heating via NodeLink/Rpi to ISY

I use various TekMar stats for main hydronic heating but they do not communicate without an additional $1000.00 bridge gadget.

I use CAO Tags for probes, experiemntations and probes.

I use a WC8 Webcontrol board with 1-wire sensors for outside and out building temps and wind speed REST interfaced into ISY. Wind speed is used to compensate chills in the winter by adjusting temps up half a degree C.

Posts #57, 59, & 64

I use 2441ZTHs directly to ISY, for minor functions.

I use Venstar T7900 for my A/C and some heating via NodeLink/Rpi to ISY

I use various TekMar stats for main hydronic heating but they do not communicate without an additional $1000.00 bridge gadget.

I use CAO Tags for probes, experiemntations and probes.

I use a WC8 Webcontrol board with 1-wire sensors for outside and out building temps and wind speed REST interfaced into ISY. Wind speed is used to compensate chills in the winter by adjusting temps up half a degree C.

Thanks.  You have alot going on. I just need a thermostat that I can control with my ISY :)

Thanks.  You have alot going on. I just need a thermostat that I can control with my ISY :)

It seems you can have Insteon/ISY simplicity with a very basic thermostat or you can go fancy with a stat and get control via NodeLink and a RPi.

I do not support ZWave but I suspect they have some fancier models with better features.

This is all dependant and what you want it for.

The ecobee3 is the one I was considering to replace my Venstar T7900 but I don't wnt to make another $350 mistake out 6 devices and the real features you wil discover they have or do not have are never listed anyweher I have found. You may not even know what you want until about 6 months of usage and a few different seasons.

My needs are very complex with my HVAC system. Some have been made possible by use of ISY programming but that is dependent on about 6 different devices functioning to be even possible. ISY, Router, WiFi, Rpi, WiFi, switches. Other stats will add the cloud to that mix.

If you have Z-Wave and don't need extra sensors directly controlling the thermostat, the Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007 has worked well for me.   I did read that Honeywell won't honor their 1-Year warranty unless you spring for the professional installation, but I was just swapping out an older Honeywell touchscreen, it was easy enough to copy over the settings, so I installed it myself.

I figured that since it was selling at around a hundred bucks (only a slight premium over their $72 non-networked touchscreen model), and nearly all of the cost was covered by utility rebate, if I didn't like it I could sell or gift the thermostat to a relative who doesn't already have a smart thermostat.   The YTH8320ZW1007/TH8320ZW1000 works perfectly fine as a standalone 7-day programmable when you turn off Zwave.

It seems you can have Insteon/ISY simplicity with a very basic thermostat or you can go fancy with a stat and get control via NodeLink and a RPi.

I do not support ZWave but I suspect they have some fancier models with better features.

This is all dependant and what you want it for.

The ecobee3 is the one I was considering to replace my Venstar T7900 but I don't wnt to make another $350 mistake out 6 devices and the real features you wil discover they have or do not have are never listed anyweher I have found. You may not even know what you want until about 6 months of usage and a few different seasons.

My needs are very complex with my HVAC system. Some have been made possible by use of ISY programming but that is dependent on about 6 different devices functioning to be even possible. ISY, Router, WiFi, Rpi, WiFi, switches. Other stats will add the cloud to that mix.

I hear you.  I have had my ISY for years. I had bought the hub first and sold it on ebay because I wanted the ability to do if then statements.  But so far I have only used it for basic stuff.  Like turn my outside lights on when it gets dark,  turn on the lights in my kitchen when someone walks in, garage etc. Nothing like what you have.  

I like those other fancy thermostats mentioned in this thread but I dont want to have to jump through hoops like your doing and then have to find out that I should of went with the Insteon thermostat.

If you have Z-Wave and don't need extra sensors directly controlling the thermostat, the Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007 has worked well for me.   I did read that Honeywell won't honor their 1-Year warranty unless you spring for the professional installation, but I was just swapping out an older Honeywell touchscreen, it was easy enough to copy over the settings, so I installed it myself.

I figured that since it was selling at around a hundred bucks (only a slight premium over their $72 non-networked touchscreen model), and nearly all of the cost was covered by utility rebate, if I didn't like it I could sell or gift the thermostat to a relative who doesn't already have a smart thermostat.   The YTH8320ZW1007/TH8320ZW1000 works perfectly fine as a standalone 7-day programmable when you turn off Zwave.

I have my eye on that one and to answer your question I do have z-wave on my ISY994..

i like this one also Honeywell RTH9580WF Wi-Fi

I have my eye on that one and to answer your question I do have z-wave on my ISY994..

i like this one also Honeywell RTH9580WF Wi-Fi

That one seems to be very common in positive comments. With Zwave you eliminate all the components you can between ISY and the stat. That would be my pick and may be my next pick but without Zwave, maybe. Honeywell made good stats years back with the needed features.

Insteon 2441TH

Using the ISY, I can:

1. Set the thermostat to heating or cooling or off no matter the current mode.

2. Adjust the set point up or down 1ºF in any mode.

Using the portal, I can do both 1 and 2 vocally

I cannot:

1. Determine the current set point.

2. Determine the current mode.

But, I'll work on a solution for item 2. It shouldn't be hard as I take action (program) based on the current mode.

your pick would be the full color screen one? Honeywell RTH9580WF Wi-Fi

Not on purpose for the colour.

My T7900 takes custom pictures in full colour but I find it annoying. Stats should disparear into the woodwork and not have a nuclear glow in the room. I have coloured lights for that. It would be hard to even figure out what the photograph is anyway with all the huge numbers and modes on the screen. Just makes a visual jumble of confusion.

Archived