Need Beta Testers for Smart Home API v2

Michel Kohanim

When in auto mode, changing both setpoints is a good idea.

The only challenge is the voice feedback, which is:

<device> is in Auto mode, aiming for <target temp>.

The only thing we have control over is to specify which mode, and what target temp.

Now, when in auto, what target temp should Alexa return?

What I'm thinking is this:

- If current temp <= old heat setpoint: return the new heat setpoint

- If current temp >= old cool setpoint: return the new cool setpoint

- if current temp is between both setpoints, compare current temp with both old setpoints, figure out which one is closer, and return the corresponding new setpoint.

What do you think?

Benoit.

What thermostat's does v2 support?  I am guessing my thermostats connected via Elk are not supported.

I'm not sure, but if it can be controlled via the rest API, that should work.

Try http://<ISY_IP>/rest/nodes

See if your thermostat is in there.

If you want to double check if that would work, PM me the output of:

http://<ISY_IP>/rest/nodes/<thermostat device address>

Benoit.

When in auto mode, changing both setpoints is a good idea.

The only challenge is the voice feedback, which is:
<device> is in Auto mode, aiming for <target temp>.

The only thing we have control over is to specify which mode, and what target temp.

Now, when in auto, what target temp should Alexa return?

What I'm thinking is this:
- If current temp <= old heat setpoint: return the new heat setpoint
- If current temp >= old cool setpoint: return the new cool setpoint
- if current temp is between both setpoints, compare current temp with both old setpoints, figure out which one is closer, and return the corresponding new setpoint.

That's good, that's good.  Maybe one refinement for the third case: when the current temp is smack in the middle of the two old setpoints (which could definitely happen if the temp readings are discrete, e.g. heat is set at 70.0, current temp is 72.0, cool is set at 74.0), then check and see which of the NEW setpoints it is closer to.  -Barry

The more I think about this, the more I feel there are situations where there will be undesirable results. I'm going to go ahead and move away from 'Auto' and write programs to manage which mode the stat is in. Effectively simulate 'auto' with programs.

Testing this out with some issues.  I have an Insteon Thermostat - 2441TH.  The ambient temp is currently 22 and the cool setpoint is 22 and the heat set setpoint is 19.  When I say "Alexa turn the thermostat to 20 degrees" the heat setpoint changes, not the cool setpoint which should be changing.  

More importantly, I can see that the setting changes in my ISY admin console, but the set point on the thermostat does not change.  

Testing this out with some issues.  I have an Insteon Thermostat - 2441TH.  The ambient temp is currently 22 and the cool setpoint is 22 and the heat set setpoint is 19.  When I say "Alexa turn the thermostat to 20 degrees" the heat setpoint changes, not the cool setpoint which should be changing.  

More importantly, I can see that the setting changes in my ISY admin console, but the set point on the thermostat does not change.  

Which mode was the thermostat in when you requested the change in temperature?

The more I think about this, the more I feel there are situations where there will be undesirable results. I'm going to go ahead and move away from 'Auto' and write programs to manage which mode the stat is in. Effectively simulate 'auto' with programs.

I'm an "auto" diehard.  My ISY sets the thermostats to 70 heat/74 cool when we're home, sets back to 66 heat/78 cool when we're not home, and 64 heat/80 cool (vacation mode) when we've been out for more than 20 hours. 

"Home" is based on my cell phone being within the geo fence, or any of the motion sensors being triggered within the prior hour (I don't rely on the geo fence for my teenagers).  Also have some other functions, e.g. there is an "on the way home" mode that gets triggered when I leave my office (plus any time I'm driving in the direction of the house) so that it's nice and warm (or nice and cool in the summer) by the time I arrive, and stuff like that.

It's rare that I override the automatic settings by pressing the buttons on the front of the thermostat, or by asking Alexa.

It's hard to say which I enjoy more: configuring this stuff, or benefiting from the completely hands-off automatic nature of it:)

-Barry

We're on Auto or off when we're away for more than an hour and mode specific when we're home. The setting at home depends entirely on "feel," and may change at any time. The settings vary depending on the zone and time of day or, more appropriately, location of the sun which rises n the back and sets in front.

I'm not sure, but if it can be controlled via the rest API, that should work.

Try http://<ISY_IP>/rest/nodes

See if your thermostat is in there.

If you want to double check if that would work, PM me the output of:

http://<ISY_IP>/rest/nodes/<thermostat device address>

Benoit.

My Aprilaire thermostats are connected to the Elk via RS485.  I don't see them listed in the rest/nodes output.

Guess that means thermostats behind Elk are not available to the Echo.

Archived