Is there a way to edit the links in a device?

dmazan

I have some devices that have old links, usually from devices that have been swapped out after failing.  Is there a way to edit out those bad links (short of a factory reset and restore)?  Related, it would be nice if "Show Device Links Table" would attempt to look up the names of the target devices, rather than just showing the address.

I have some devices that have old links, usually from devices that have been swapped out after failing.  Is there a way to edit out those bad links (short of a factory reset and restore)?  Related, it would be nice if "Show Device Links Table" would attempt to look up the names of the target devices, rather than just showing the address.

If you do a restore device then it will rewrite your device link tables with the data currently stored in the ISY

• 4 months later...

I too am looking to edit a device's link table.  I see on my ISY994 where I can save the XML to a file and reload it but how do I get it to save in the device and ISY?  For a couple of lines in a table this is far easier than resetting a module that is not conveniently located.  Thanks..

I too am looking to edit a device's link table. I see on my ISY994 where I can save the XML to a file and reload it but how do I get it to save in the device and ISY? For a couple of lines in a table this is far easier than resetting a module that is not conveniently located. Thanks..

You should never need to edit a link table inside a device.

ISY provides tools to examine the link table, compare it to ISY's image of what should be in the device, and to restore the device's link table, in the device, back to what ISY has for it.

Just right click on the device in the admin console device tree and click restore...fixed. If it is a battery device the linking mode will need to initiated usuall by pressing the linking button on the device for about 5 seconds.

Devices do not take XML code.

You should never need to edit a link table inside a device.

ISY provides tools to examine the link table, compare it to ISY's image of what should be in the device, and to restore the device's link table, in the device, back to what ISY has for it.

Just right click on the device in the admin console device tree and click restore...fixed. If it is a battery device the linking mode will need to initiated usuall by pressing the linking button on the device for about 5 seconds.

Devices do not take XML code.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, in the perfect world you should not ever need to edit tables.  However, I am in the process of upgrading my meager system to an ISY.  I have a responder that has links that need to be removed.  When installing the device into the controller, the ISY now has those links so both ISY and device have the same link table data, with 3 records that I want to get rid of without resetting the device.  As I have said, it is easier to edit a file than to get to the device and do a physical reset.

As I understand it "Restoring" loads the link table data from the ISY into the device, which is wrong and the same as what is in the device. 

Your a right, devices do not take XML files, the link tables for the device and ISY can be saved to an XML file.  This is a command within the ISY.  It just seemed like if it could be Compared, Saved to a file, and Loaded from a file, I should be able to incorporate the fixed file operationally into the ISY and appropriate device.  I think I am finding that there is no provision for this within the ISY.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, in the perfect world you should not ever need to edit tables. However, I am in the process of upgrading my meager system to an ISY. I have a responder that has links that need to be removed. When installing the device into the controller, the ISY now has those links so both ISY and device have the same link table data, with 3 records that I want to get rid of without resetting the device. As I have said, it is easier to edit a file than to get to the device and do a physical reset.

As I understand it "Restoring" loads the link table data from the ISY into the device, which is wrong and the same as what is in the device.

Your a right, devices do not take XML files, the link tables for the device and ISY can be saved to an XML file. This is a command within the ISY. It just seemed like if it could be Compared, Saved to a file, and Loaded from a file, I should be able to incorporate the fixed file operationally into the ISY and appropriate device. I think I am finding that there is no provision for this within the ISY.

If the links are showing in ISY it is because your scenes and basic connections to the device demand them to be that way.

If the links inside ISY are wrong then you may need a new ISY. In three years, I have never heard of this happenning before, so it isn't very likely the links are wrong.

Links in devices contain one for each node going to the PLM and one for each scene that ISY knows about and has created from link management inside ISY.

A thermostat will have many links to accomodate the setpoint, heat output and cooling output. each one takes a link as well as links back from the PLM to control nodes inside the device.

If you have links inside your devices that only link to another controller/hub/automation computer, they will not be showing in ISY. ISY does not absorb links from devices, only put them into devices.

This sounds like you have migrated from an Insteon Hub, where unmanaged links are reported to be a problem for some.

If the link tables match perfectly, what is not working, from ISY, in your devices?

What device are your referring to?

Delete the errant device. Add the device and select Remove existing links or, better yet, factory reset the device and then add it. You will need to recreate the scene with that device as a controller and add it to any scene that has that device as a responder.

It may be tedious, but it'll give you the result you want/need.

Delete the errant device. Add the device and select Remove existing links or, better yet, factory reset the device and then add it. You will need to recreate the scene with that device as a controller and add it to any scene that has that device as a responder.

It may be tedious, but it'll give you the result you want/need.

He is complaining about errant links inside ISY.

The errant links that the ISY "sees" are the links left in the device. removing the device should remove any ISY reference to those links.

How do the links inside a device get inside ISY?

How would users use a Hub and an ISY without ISY filling up with errant links to the existing Hub?

When added, the ISY reads the devices links. If Remove existing links is selected, then all links are removed. Deleting the device should also delete the links that the ISY knows about. But, all this is moot unless the instructions I posted are followed and the links remain. There's only one way to determine that B)

• 2 months later...

I see something similar, where one switch (S-GuestBedroom) is inadvertently controlling another (Bath1.Vanity).  I took a look at the device table and, sure enough, the unintended responding switch was in the table, along with the intended device.

Tried removing the controlling device and re-adding, twice.  First time used 'Remove Existing', second time, used 'Add devices found in links, remove existing links'.   No difference.

So, I ran the Diagnostics -> Show Device Links Table

selected 'Compare' and found issues where there was a reference to the controlling device in the vanity device's table

I have no scene's or programs that would relate these 2 devices.  

My solution was to save the device table, edit xml by removing the 2 stanzas (changing the index count appropriately) and reloading.

It fixed the mystery of "Who the hell keeps turning off the bathroom light?"

CONTROLLING DEVICE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0M_W3SMHLMenFCczZNVU1qLTg/view?usp=sharing

BEFORE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0M_W3SMHLMZUFWbnhfNUJyM2c/view?usp=sharing

I see something similar, where one switch (S-GuestBedroom) is inadvertently controlling another (Bath1.Vanity).  I took a look at the device table and, sure enough, the unintended responding switch was in the table, along with the intended device.

Tried removing the controlling device and re-adding, twice.  First time used 'Remove Existing', second time, used 'Add devices found in links, remove existing links'.   No difference.

So, I ran the Diagnostics -> Show Device Links Table

selected 'Compare' and found issues where there was a reference to the controlling device in the vanity device's table

I have no scene's or programs that would relate these 2 devices.  

My solution was to save the device table, edit xml by removing the 2 stanzas (changing the index count appropriately) and reloading.

It fixed the mystery of "Who the hell keeps turning off the bathroom light?"

CONTROLLING DEVICE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0M_W3SMHLMenFCczZNVU1qLTg/view?usp=sharing

BEFORE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0M_W3SMHLMZUFWbnhfNUJyM2c/view?usp=sharing

AFTER: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0M_W3SMHLMZ3l0QnpLNE04TDQ/view?usp=sharing

Hi,

In my system everything is done through programs, no local link tables. It is a bit slower fut I find it easier to manage. I had a similar problem and wanted to get rid of the "junk" in a device link table but did not know how to reload the edited file. When i called UD, I was told that it was not within the scope of service to tell me how. I was told to detete and add the device clearing the link table, which worked. My question to you is how were you able to reload the new link table file? Thanks, Keith

Archived