Is ISY portal down or is it me?

barrygordon

It is about 7:15 EST and the ISY portal is offline when I try and get to it.  It is also offline if I look for it in the ISY administrator.  It was working fine this AM. I have been on V2 for a while.

Any one know what is going on? 

I spoke too fast.  I agree the portal is Up, or at least I can get to it from a browser.  When I Select Tool /Amazon Echo tells me the ISY is down.

If I open the admin console It is clear the ISY is up and running and I can control things from the admin console.  If I go to configuration/portals it shows as 'Offline - registered".  The ISY is acting very sluggish taking quite a bit of time to respond to the admin console after I rebooted it.  It is obviously local to me.  

I am off to dinner so this will have to wait till either later tonight or tomorrow.

Any thoughts, advice appreciated.

Thanks, Michel,

I checked the error log and noticed that there were a ton of entries starting at about 3PM that looked like:

Fri 2016/07/29 10:35:38 PM System -140000 my.isy.io
Fri 2016/07/29 10:36:13 PM System -170001 [Network-DNS][Task=22] Failed DNS 37/rc=6
Fri 2016/07/29 10:36:13 PM System -140000 my.isy.io
Fri 2016/07/29 10:36:48 PM System -170001 [Network-DNS][Task=22] Failed DNS 38/rc=6
Fri 2016/07/29 10:36:48 PM System -140000 my.isy.io
Fri 2016/07/29 10:37:22 PM System -170001 [Network-DNS][Task=22] Failed DNS 39/rc=6

I then took a look at the DNS value that the ISY was using and it was 8.8.4.4 Which is one of the secondary Google DNS servers, the major one being 8.8.8.8.  I changed it to 8.8.8.8 and the ISY rebooted.  After the reboot  the portal was happy and everything went back to normal. I am assuming that for some reason Google took that DNS server off line or something happened such that the ISY could not reach it. 

Many devices allow for a primary and secondary DNS address, however the ISY only allows for one.

Most routers let you specify 2 DNS entries.  The DNS of the local clients becomes the router's local lan address (like 192.168.0.1), and the router automatically makes the switch in the event that the primary does not respond.

Most routers let you specify 2 DNS entries. The DNS of the local clients becomes the router's local lan address (like 192.168.0.1), and the router automatically makes the switch in the event that the primary does not respond.

That's what many do, but I seem to remember ISY has difficulty with a common (was it dnsmasq?) DNS forwarder used on many routers....?

I believe you are assuming I am using DHCP for the ISY.  I am not.  I am using a static IP and have entered the DNS address which is now 8.8.8.8 and working fine. I guess I could enter 192.168.1.1 (the routers IP) and do as you pointed out.  I never had a problem with 8.8.4.4 until yesterday.

I believe you are assuming I am using DHCP for the ISY.  I am not.  I am using a static IP and have entered the DNS address which is now 8.8.8.8 and working fine. I guess I could enter 192.168.1.1 (the routers IP) and do as you pointed out.  I never had a problem with 8.8.4.4 until yesterday.

I did not assume that. I installed my ISY as static, with the ISY's router and DNS fields both pointing to the router's LAN IP address. The router is configured on the WAN side to point to a primary and backup DNS service. This worked on my previous dlink and current asus routers.

Archived