How to control a 2 stage whole house fan?

waffles

It just sounded like your tech support call went the wrong way and got distracted, preventing you from sending it back under warranty.

They initially suggested that. But after some testing came back they said, it's the way their set up also behaved. I am still puzzled though. That's why I asked here if anyone has such module actually working in latching mode. I am at the point, where I just might order another one to test.

The indications are that the module is in latching mode (option for momentary not checked (screenshot post #36) and triple beep), but the module behaves like it is in momentary/time out mode. That's what's so confusing to me.

Why not try testing it by connecting a lamp and see if it times out?

Why not try testing it by connecting a lamp and see if it times out?

Oh, it does time out.

I have tested it with a meter and with the connected relays. They have a control LED, in addition to the relay click sound they make.)

Oh, it does time out.

I have tested it with a meter and with the connected relays. They have a control LED, in addition to the relay click sound they make.)

Then I would call customer service back and explain to them that there is no latching mode and ask for an exchange or refund.

No luck. I tried manually linking. I also tried applying power continuously to the sense wires and even a program. Same result, the module times out. Apparently latching applies to the standard switch wired to the sense wire(s), not the function of the module. My error, I recommended the module :oops:

The only other Insteon SPDT device is an I/O Linc. That'd require a low voltage power supply and two relays with matching a voltage coil in place of the relays you have now.

Thanks for checking, Stu. No worries that it does not work as thought. I really appreciate your (and everyone else's) help. I would have never gotten that far without you guys...and I am confident that we will get it eventually working.

I/O Linc? Interesting....

So I have bought (2) of these Ribu relays  for my project. From the label it seems that they need 10-30V coil input.

Looking at the specs of the I/O linc (2450), It says:

I/O Terminals:5V (10mA), ... but also
Output Relay Capacity: 5A @ 30 Volts (AC or DC)

I am not quite clear, if the (2) relays would work with an I/O Linc and e.g. 12V DC power supply.

Follow up question is how would I need to wire this up?

As an aside, I have a spare Smartenit EZFlora sprinkler controller. Would I be able to use this in lieu of an I/O Linc?

SPST_Relay_4.jpg

Yes, an EZFlora would work because you can energize only one relay at a time. You''ll still need a way to turn the fan off, but we can take of that after you get everything working B)

I would plan on some testing. I'm pretty sure the EZflora is a triac design for AC. I pretty sure that if it would work, it needs to be AC. I would assume it would work 24VAC or lower, not sure though.

Paul

Documentation says "Controller requires a 24VAC Transformer / Power Supply (sold separately) to power the sprinkler solenoid valves." However, I do not need to drive sprinklers, only the relays.

Can I break anything if I hook up a 12V DC power supply?

SPST_Relay_4.jpg

Yes, an EZFlora would work because you can energize only one relay at a time. You''ll still need a way to turn the fan off, but we can take of that after you get everything working B)

I am not quite clear; would I use the I/O Linc's N/C and N/O to power relay 1 and relay 2 respectively?

If so, one relay would always be powered and I would need another on/off switch to control the entire setup, correct?

It sounds that a control via an EZFlora would be simpler.

(I only need to find that darn thing in the basement....)

I am not quite clear; would I use the I/O Linc's N/C and N/O to power relay 1 and relay 2 respectively?

If so, one relay would always be powered and I would need another on/off switch to control the entire setup, correct?

It sounds that a control via an EZFlora would be simpler.

(I only need to find that darn thing in the basement....)

That's correct. As I indicated (post #57), you'll still need something to turn the fan off. That's easy, any Insteon line controller can do that, a Micro Module, a SwitchLinc, an In-lineLinc, etc.

No, you wont's damage anything if you use an EZFlora to control 12VDC.

If you use an EZFlora to control the relays, then you won't need another device. Unlike a SPDT relay which always has one pair of contacts on, you can turn off each EZFlora relay or just turn another zone on.

I got it!!

I found the EZFlora, as well as a 24V AC power supply...wired all up.....and it's working.

I have discrete on/offs per 'zone', SPDT function is working and I can select individual timeouts long* enough for my needs.

*at for least several hours.

(I actually like this momentary mode better than the latching mode. This will prevent the fan from running indefinitely, in case I started it not in a timed program and forgot.) 

Again, thanks everybody for all your help!

Another FYI, if you have the EZFlora time out running, sending the ON command again seems to reset the timer and you get the full time out period again w/o interruption. Example: timer out is set to 1 minute and running. If you send ON after 30 sec, the module will switch off after 90 sec.

It does not compound timer periods, e.g. if you send ON 3 times within 15 seconds, you only get 75 seconds (with a 1 minute timer).

Another update, in case someone runs into the same or similar situation:

Fan and controller is now installed and everything seems to be working fine.

The fan motor is an ECM. Therefore I had to modify the wiring a bit compared to the wiring diagram.

This motor (for a Quietcool ES-4700) needs:

green => ground

white => common

black => permanent line (120 AC)

red => low speed (120V AC)

blue => high speed (120 AC)

The (2) relays / EZFlora control red and blue.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Archived