Happy former Vera user here

sn0cr4sh

I had a Vera Lite for a few years and it was... ok. The device is decent, simple, and worked for the most part.  But their portal access is terrible, the UI is pretty but disfunctional, and the support is non-existent. I made the jump to an ISY994iZIR Pro, and had a disastrous setup process trying to get all my Zwave gear migrated over. It was totally my fault, and Michel walked me through what was causing the issues, and how to slowly and deliberately get my devices paired up and the network healed. I didn't really expect to get much of a response via email, but I did. Now I have everything set up and working better than ever.

Welcome to the isy UD forum. You have had the common and yet extraordinary experience most of us here have had: exposure to and assistance from an inventor and company owner that really does care about his products and the people that use his products. Michel Kohanim is one of the rare gentlemen of the world that have and take great care of his responsibilities to the public. Were that our leaders did the same!

GT

Edited by Guitartexan01

This ISY is the only real controller I have used.  (While I once used some crude insteon software with a USB-based PLM, it was only timers that it provided.)

My impressions of the Vera has always been that it tends to be more biased towards z-wave and less towards insteon.  Still, I find the ISY pretty good for z-wave and unmatched for insteon.  I understand that the z-wave support in the ISY is still growing and will only get better.

This ISY is the only real controller I have used. (While I once used some crude insteon software with a USB-based PLM, it was only timers that it provided.)

My impressions of the Vera has always been that it tends to be more biased towards z-wave and less towards insteon. Still, I find the ISY pretty good for z-wave and unmatched for insteon. I understand that the z-wave support in the ISY is still growing and will only get better.

Vera is definitely all about Zwave. But I haven't ever used Insteon for either system so I don't know how it compares. All my Zwave devices work exactly the same under ISY as they did on Vera. I think my motion sensors trigger lights faster under ISY though. The Healing function is nice - I'm not sure how Vera handled.

The Program functionality in ISY could only be had with a plugin in Vera called PLEG. But Vera has the advantage of a Lua scripting engine. Free writing code was nice so I guess Polyglot is the solution here? Or maybe it's the server node concept?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all,

Just wanted to post a Thank You!

Hi sn0cr4sh,

With regards to free scripting, we played with some scripting engines (similar to Lua) but had to abandon it because we could NOT force quotas for resources (especially for the CPU and memory). Polyglot is not a free form scripting engine: you will have to make drivers for things you want to communicate with and then in ISY all those are immediately available through programs.

Can you give me an example of what a free form scripting you would be needing?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello all,

Just wanted to post a Thank You!

Hi sn0cr4sh,

With regards to free scripting, we played with some scripting engines (similar to Lua) but had to abandon it because we could NOT force quotas for resources (especially for the CPU and memory). Polyglot is not a free form scripting engine: you will have to make drivers for things you want to communicate with and then in ISY all those are immediately available through programs.

Can you give me an example of what a free form scripting you would be needing?

With kind regards,

Michel

I don't want to say just yet until I've fully explored the Programs, variables and Network Resources. It could be that any scenario I come up with can be done with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk