ISY and Phillips Hue Integration Step-By-Step (For dummies...like me)

DualBandAid

Hello, this is my first post on the forum so if this topic has already been covered I apologize, however from my searches I could not find the answer.

Firstly, DualBandAid, your instructions are fantastic and for someone who started using ISY this week, I was able to begin programming immediately and truly thank you for your efforts in preparing this.

I am trying to control a Hue Scene, and followed the instructions with the correct group and can confirm that I can turn a group on to last state:

{"on": true}

However I cannot turn on a specific scene with (scene name replaced):

{"on": true, "scene": YOUR-SCENE-NAME”}

post-10117-0-74711200-1511990295_thumb.png

I searched and found that bernieb posted an update that you could program with just (scene name replaced again):

{"scene": YOUR-SCENE-NAME}

post-10117-0-67092200-1511990301_thumb.png

However that also did not work.

My ACTUAL scene name is, pCWlCSZ4yUeqVRt  , and I cannot get my ISY to control said scene.

Do you have any recommendations or pointers you could provide?  Thank you!!!

Hello, this is my first post on the forum so if this topic has already been covered I apologize, however from my searches I could not find the answer.

Firstly, DualBandAid, your instructions are fantastic and for someone who started using ISY this week, I was able to begin programming immediately and truly thank you for your efforts in preparing this.

I am trying to control a Hue Scene, and followed the instructions with the correct group and can confirm that I can turn a group on to last state:

{"on": true}

However I cannot turn on a specific scene with (scene name replaced):

{"on": true, "scene": YOUR-SCENE-NAME”}

attachicon.gifDualBandAid post.png

I searched and found that bernieb posted an update that you could program with just (scene name replaced again):

{"scene": YOUR-SCENE-NAME}

attachicon.gifbernieb post.png

However that also did not work.

My ACTUAL scene name is, pCWlCSZ4yUeqVRt  , and I cannot get my ISY to control said scene.

Do you have any recommendations or pointers you could provide?  Thank you!!!

Welcome to the forums!!

I assume you must be using the ISY Network Resources module to attempt this.

Are your individual (or any) devices working using the same technique?

Welcome to the forums!!

I assume you must be using the ISY Network Resources module to attempt this.

Are your individual (or any) devices working using the same technique?

larryllix, thank you so much for your reply!  You were one of the other people I saw discussing this topic extremely intelligently and am truly thankful for you reaching out.

I just got my ISY this week, and yesterday purchased the ISY Portal Module which included the ISY Network Resource Module.

With my ISY set up, my entire Insteon network is up and running 100% without fail (KPLs included with no errors!), and it is my Hue specifically that is the issue.

With the ISY Portal Module and DualBandAid's instructions, I can control any individual Hue light, any group of Hue lights, but not any specific scenes.  When I turn groups on/off, they remain in the last state so if 1 light out of 7 was blue, when I turn back on it remains blue.

I have programs to turn off the entire group, I have programs to turn on one light, and I have programs to turn on entire group back to last state, but for some reason my programming for scene is not working with the same parameters.

Thoughts?

Edited by UpTet804

larryllix, thank you so much for your reply!  You were one of the other people I saw discussing this topic extremely intelligently and am truly thankful for you reaching out.

I just got my ISY this week, and yesterday purchased the ISY Portal Module which included the ISY Network Resource Module.

With my ISY set up, my entire Insteon network is up and running 100% without fail (KPLs included with no errors!), and it is my Hue specifically that is the issue.

With the ISY Portal Module and DualBandAid's instructions, I can control any individual Hue light, any group of Hue lights, but not any specific scenes.  When I turn groups on/off, they remain in the last state so if 1 light out of 7 was blue, when I turn back on it remains blue.

I have programs to turn off the entire group, I have programs to turn on one light, and I have programs to turn on entire group back to last state, but for some reason my programming for scene is not working with the same parameters.

Thoughts?

OK...by "programs" I assume you mean "Network resources"?

Since I don't use any grouping / scenes on any device, except inside admin console and a few between Insteon devices, I don't know what else to tell you for this one. I would be sure somebody will be along soon that will be more knowledgable. You may have to use the advanced editor (bottom right) to modify your thread title into a question to attract those guys. :)

EDIT:Sorry...long time thread. Maybe start a new one with a question for help.

Edited by larryllix

OK...by "programs" I assume you mean "Network resources"?

Since I don't use any grouping / scenes on any device, except inside admin console and a few between Insteon devices, I don't know what else to tell you for this one. I would be sure somebody will be along soon that will be more knowledgable. You may have to use the advanced editor (bottom right) to modify your thread title into a question to attract those guys. :)

EDIT:Sorry...long time thread. Maybe start a new one with a question for help.

Yes, you are correct that I mis-termed, I have Network Resources for On/Off/Groups, and they're all working perfectly, it is only scenes that are malfunctioning.

I followed the below instructions:

Back to Scenes...

So you want to turn whole scenes on.  You go into the debugger and enter this in the URL box, to get all the scene name to appear:

/api/MY-HUE-USER-NAME/scenes

Something like this comes up in the Command Response window:

{
"7fwrKuV56D9cvyA": {
"name": "Relax",
"lights": [
"1",
"2",
"3",
"4",
"6"
],
"owner": "70ed172f673e511b294419971348d598",
"recycle": false,
"locked": false,
"appdata": {
"version": 1,
"data": "NoG1L_r01_d01"
},
"picture": "",
"lastupdated": "2016-07-31T03:28:36",
"version": 2
},

NOTE: the scene name here is NOT Relax.  It’s actually 7fwrKuV56D9cvyA.  I will call that YOUR-SCENE-NAME in a moment.

To control the scene, go up to 4F above to create a Network Resource in the ISY.  As before, everything is the same except the Path and the Body.

In the path field, enter:

/api/YOUR-HUE-USER-NAME/groups/###/action

NOTE: This is the same data as if you are controlling a group — which makes sense, because a scene is something WITHIN a group (so you need to tell the Hue which group you are addressing).  It is only in the Body section that you specify the scene by typing this:

{"on": true, "scene": “YOUR-SCENE-NAME”}

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you have the correct scene name corresponding to the correct group.  What I mean by that is, every single group has a default scene called Relax.  In my case, I have a Relax scene that controls Lights 1 through 6…

"7fwrKuV56D9cvyA": {
"1",
"2",
"3",
"4",
"6"

…but also a Relax scene using Lights 8-9…

"rvqsYVVePr72KXh": {
"8",
"9"

The first Relax scene is in Group 1.  The second Relax scene is in Group 2.  So you have to make sure you have the correct scene in the correct group.

With the additional below recommendation from bernieb:

Hi DualBandAid,

Yes, your changes to the instructions in regards to the debug screen for the URL to reflect "/api"  is correct.  This was the only way that I could make it work.

In addition, I really got caught up with the expression to call up a scene from your instructions.  You state putting in the following in the body:  {"on": true, "scene": YOUR-SCENE-NAME”}

For me, this didn't work and kept giving me errors, not even triggering a scene.  I ended up searching the web and someone stated the the "on" statement is not required when calling scenes.  So my only expression in the body to call a scene is:  {"scene": “YOUR-SCENE-NAME”}  and that works perfectly.  Just wanted to bring this up in case others had issue.  Except for that .. your tutorial in invaluable.  I had tried before without any success, now it works perfectly.  Thanks for your efforts

However, scenes are still not functioning for me.  I have tried:

{"scene": OVUdx2Nampq7lAD}

{"on": true, "scene": OVUdx2Nampq7lAD}

Neither of them will turn on the scene for the correct groupings of lights.  If I change the Body to just an on/off/group function the Network Resource works fine so my connection is good.

I am perplexed and can't figure out where I'm off on my Resource.

• 1 year later...

DualBandAid…… this is amazing. I have had the network module for over 4 years and have not had the time/guts/energy to figure it out. I see now that I will be able to do so and using this as a stepping ground to learn to do other things like control my russound. 

In the meantime, for those that like me are a bit intimidated by NR, with the new features that ISY has with Alexa, there is a simple way to do basic things, albeit it can get a bit convoluted with programs / routines calling each other from different systems--> ISY program calling on an Alexa routine which then calls the Hue Hub to change lights.

-Use a variable from ISY to initiate a routine in Alexa per this wiki page: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Amazon_Echo_Integration_V3

-This variable can be integrated into any ISY programming / logic desired.

-The Alexa routine can set most basic parameters of the HUE light or rooms etc.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this topic. I just installed 5 hue lights yesterday and will look forward to tackling NR next. but in the meantime 

• Like 1

DualBandAid and others.......Update to efforts above: Success but with some trials and learnings about the Phillips bulbs

1) for some reason my Hub user name would not appear no matter what combination / effort i made. When I was about to give up, i tried it in a new browser window exactly as in the directions  and voila, it worked.. don't know why.

2) found i couldn't get the lights to the right color. It appears i have two downward bulb that use  an additional or in place of(?) parameter of "xy" for the color. Once I added that to my resource body, the color changed correctly. 

-New Resource looks like this: {"on":true, "bri":39, "sat":65202, "hue":254, "xy": [0.6817,0.3036], "transitiontime":5}

After running the above resource via TEST, the GET command from debugger shows the following and the light shows the right color. Interesting to note that the numbers don't match exactly. 

"state": {
            "on": true,
            "bri": 39,
            "hue": 65203,
            "sat": 254,
            "effect": "none",
            "xy": [
            ],
            "ct": 153,
            "alert": "select",
            "colormode": "xy",
            "mode": "homeautomation",
            "reachable": true
        },

Notice it says in the GET --> "colormode": "xy".  The Does anyone know what "ct" is?  

On a different bulb, the GET info says "color mode": "hs", which i assume means Hue, Saturation and therefore the original directions would have worked.  This may be worth an add to the original directions.

For those interested, here is the rest of the GET info from first bulb:

"swupdate": {
            "state": "noupdates",
            "lastinstall": "2018-12-07T19:04:07"
        },
        "type": "Extended color light",
        "name": "Dougs reading light",
        "modelid": "LCT011",
        "manufacturername": "Philips",
        "productname": "Hue color downlight",
        "capabilities": {
            "certified": true,
            "control": {
                "mindimlevel": 2000,
                "maxlumen": 650,
                "colorgamuttype": "C",
                "colorgamut": [
                    [
                    ],
                    [
                    ],
                    [
                    ]
                ],
                "ct": {
                    "min": 153,
                    "max": 500
                }
            },
            "streaming": {
                "renderer": true,
                "proxy": true
            }
        },
        "config": {
            "archetype": "floodbulb",
            "function": "mixed",
            "direction": "downwards",
            "startup": {
                "mode": "safety",
                "configured": true
            }
        },
        "uniqueid": "00:17:88:01:02:aa:ba:5f-0b",
        "swversion": "1.46.13_r26312",
        "swconfigid": "E6785CC3",
        "productid": "Philips-LCT011-1-BR30ECLv1"

Here is the complete GET Info from a standard Phillips bulb where the colormode is "hs". and where the original directions in this forum work.

{
        "state": {
            "on": true,
            "bri": 254,
            "hue": 255,
            "sat": 254,
            "effect": "none",
            "xy": [
            ],
            "ct": 153,
            "alert": "none",
            "colormode": "hs",
            "mode": "homeautomation",
            "reachable": true
        },
        "swupdate": {
            "state": "noupdates",
            "lastinstall": "2018-12-07T19:04:12"
        },
        "type": "Extended color light",
        "name": "Great room lamp",
        "modelid": "LCT016",
        "manufacturername": "Philips",
        "productname": "Hue color lamp",
        "capabilities": {
            "certified": true,
            "control": {
                "mindimlevel": 1000,
                "maxlumen": 800,
                "colorgamuttype": "C",
                "colorgamut": [
                    [
                    ],
                    [
                    ],
                    [
                    ]
                ],
                "ct": {
                    "min": 153,
                    "max": 500
                }
            },
            "streaming": {
                "renderer": true,
                "proxy": true
            }
        },
        "config": {
            "archetype": "sultanbulb",
            "function": "mixed",
            "direction": "omnidirectional",
            "startup": {
                "mode": "safety",
                "configured": true
            }
        },
        "uniqueid": "00:17:88:01:03:b3:76:d6-0b",
        "swversion": "1.46.13_r26312",
        "swconfigid": "9DC82D22",
        "productid": "Philips-LCT016-1-A19ECLv5"

TH' or ANKS EVERYONE!

'hs

**UPDATE: It seems that for the  regular bulbs, the method of color choice, "hs" or "xy", changes depending on what ios app or Alexa I last used to adjust the light.One of the apps I use has animations. These seem to put all the bulbs into "xy" mode. So the simple solution is to ensure both data is included in each resource so that when ISY invokes it, the color is correct in either case of which the bulb reads the data.

Edited by dbwarner5
update
  • 1 month later...
On 8/24/2016 at 1:43 PM, starmanj said:

So I tried following WIKI instructions...didn't work.  did you mean to put in "Peter" in the body to post?  Anyway my hue hub responds with 

[
{
"error": {
"type": 1,
"address": "/",
"description": "unauthorized user"
}
}
]

For those who are using a more recent bridge the following request should be used instead to get your Hue name:

{"devicetype": "my_test_user#test1"}

the bridge should reply with the following format:

[{"success":{"username":"1028d66426293e821ecfd9ef1a0731df"}}]

• Like 1