weird applicancelinc behavior

I've got this rather old appliancelinc.  Could be 8 or 10 years old.  On 2 occasions now, separated by over a year, it went nuts for a day.  Every single Insteon signal caused it to switch on/off.  For example, I hit the on paddle on a switchlinc that is unrelated to the appliance linc and the appliancelinc would click off then on, or maybe it was on then off, I forget.  It would not respond to query or follow commands as given from my ISY, nor would it allow its link tables to be re-written by ISY.  Then, the next day it is fine again.  Anyone else seen this?

Incidentally, it is not controlling an appliance, it is just controlling some led lights, so I don't feel like there is any safety concern.

I haven't had that particular behavior, but I do have insteon devices "lose it" in other ways after being on the powerline for years. A simple thing to try is a factory reset and "restore device" to help them find their way. I have a togglinc that responds oddly, or not at all after a few years, this fixes it.

If that doesn't do it, I'd replace it

Paul

Sounds like the Smart curse. Power supply capacitors are the usual cup rot for random unexplainable responses.

Electrolytic capacitors have been know to heal again from magazine articles on 'reforming' old caps with slowly increasing voltage IIRC.

EDIT: Cup rot = culprit

I have had two 2456S3 hardware V1.3 ApplianceLincs  start pulsing on and off at maybe a 60 cycle pulse rate.

Bad C2 Nover 470uf/35VDC capacitor was the problem in both of them.

A bad C2 may also be what is causing your issue.

I know C2 gets warm from the fairly high ripple current through it. Even the new Panasonic replacement get warm from the ripple current.

I replaced C2 in most of mine as a precaution.

I have had two 2456S3 hardware V1.3 ApplianceLincs  start pulsing on and off at maybe a 60 cycle pulse rate.

Bad C2 Nover 470uf/35VDC capacitor was the problem in both of them.

A bad C2 may also be what is causing your issue.

I know C2 gets warm from the fairly high ripple current through it. Even the new Panasonic replacement get warm from the ripple current.

I replaced C2 in most of mine as a precaution.

The PLM cap issues I was wondering if this could be similar.  But the spontaneous recovery seemed odd to me.  I suppose I could replace C2, but it would be hard to know if I fixed anything since it currently is working again.

With them self healing. It would be difficult to say of C2 would change things.

I know the v28 firmware had a very hard to duplicate bug. Only showed up with an Insteon; Primary X10 and X10 Scene address in it. Then sending an exact combination of X10 and Insteon commands. Would lock it up but still show working in the Administrative Console.

I doubt it would play into your  problem.

Archived