timeout on admin console?

oskrypuch

I am finding that lately after a few minutes (yet sometimes not at all), I lose connectivity with the ISY from the console.

A credential dialog comes up, like it does for the initial startup, although logging in doesn't seem to work. I have to close out the console, and restart it.

Tried rebooting the ISY, problem still an issue.

994 with latest firmware.

Latest Java.

* Orest

I am finding that lately after a few minutes (yet sometimes not at all), I lose connectivity with the ISY from the console.

A credential dialog comes up, like it does for the initial startup, although logging in doesn't seem to work. I have to close out the console, and restart it.

Tried rebooting the ISY, problem still an issue.

994 with latest firmware.

Latest Java.

* Orest

Hello Orest,

This is a known issue and to date there is no final solution to resolve this matter. My statement assumes this is not a firewall, anti-virus, pop up blocker, incorrect Admin Console, out of date Java, white listing related issue(s).

Other reasons for the Admin Console to lose connection is (IF) there are socket connections which have lots of inbound traffic to the ISY Series Controller.

Lastly, when there are lots of active programs running this can also cause the controller to appear to be slow or none responsive.

Hello Orest,

This is a known issue and to date there is no final solution to resolve this matter. My statement assumes this is not a firewall, anti-virus, pop up blocker, incorrect Admin Console, out of date Java, white listing related issue(s)....

OK, thanks. 

* Orest

My admin console has started hanging again with the greyed out icons to indicate it quite frequently again.

This didn't happen for months and suddenly can happen from the first second to hours after I boot it now.

I run Win 7 and 10 with ISY v5.0.4.

It is very annoying at times but has been ahppenning since v4

My admin console has started hanging again with the greyed out icons to indicate it quite frequently again.

This didn't happen for months and suddenly can happen from the first second to hours after I boot it now.

I run Win 7 and 10 with ISY v5.0.4.

It is very annoying at times but has been ahppenning since v4

Hey Larry,

As indicated to Orest I would ensure all the above possibilities have been tracked which I listed above. As a data point during my Alpha / Beta trials for Brultech it was found the module that sends state variables to the controller caused the system to freeze.

Once this issue was identified by me and relayed to Brultech a break fix was released.

As of this writing my ISY Series Controller has been up and running with out the need for a hard reboot for 2261 hours or (94 days). In the past I would be hard pressed to see the controller make it past 3-7 days of service.

Hey Larry,

As indicated to Orest I would ensure all the above possibilities have been tracked which I listed above. As a data point during my Alpha / Beta trials for Brultech it was found the module that sends state variables to the controller caused the system to freeze.

Once this issue was identified by me and relayed to Brultech a break fix was released.

As of this writing my ISY Series Controller has been up and running with out the need for a hard reboot for 2261 hours or (94 days). In the past I would be hard pressed to see the controller make it past 3-7 days of service.

Thanks Teken but my ISY doesn't hang, only the admin console gui. It stops being updated automatcally from ISY but responds to Refresh anytime I need it. I mostly ignore it unless I want to do dynamic program testing and get tired of hitting refresh to see the updates.

This is the same problem for a dozen different ISY firmware versions since 2014, and by many users reporting it.

At times I had months were it never happenned at all. At times this was thought to be when Windows wnet to sleep or when the Admin Console ran as a background task. Now it began happenning totally at randowm, sometimes immediately upon booting AC.

I was instructed in 2015 to try the secure port but that was a flop after months of trial.

AFAIC it is just some misunderstanding of java code implementation.

Thanks Teken but my ISY doesn't hang, only the admin console gui. It stops being updated automatcally from ISY but responds to Refresh anytime I need it. I mostly ignore it unless I want to do dynamic program testing and get tired of hitting refresh to see the updates.

This is the same problem for a dozen different ISY firmware versions since 2014, and by many users reporting it.

At times I had months were it never happenned at all. At times this was thought to be when Windows wnet to sleep or when the Admin Console ran as a background task. Now it began happenning totally at randowm, sometimes immediately upon booting AC.

I was instructed in 2015 to try the secure port but that was a flop after months of trial.

AFAIC it is just some misunderstanding of java code implementation.

Understood, and some of the items you indicated I also tried with out success. I've blogged about this odd behavior for what seems like forever but its safe to say when the system is finally migrated to HTML5.

That will be at least one area we can strike off the list as being Java related.

For all we know its the endless Java updates over the last 24 months but who really knows? What I do know is in the past I could leave the console open for days with out issues. Now, my sessions mirror yours and you simply don't ever know if the console is live or off line.

The whole refreshing thing is just a band aid and doesn't give me the warm fuzzy at all. Because if you have to press the refresh you already know your sessions isn't actually live. 

I have not been on the admin console for a while, but needed to replace and add some modules.

THIS IS A REAL problem. 

The admin console will work for a short bit, and then just hang. I then usually have to resort to rebooting the computer to try to restart/flush java. Incidientally I sometimes see Java Reboot as a process running in the Task Manager. Worse, when I do get control again, some actions may have been properly applied, and others not.

This is making it virtually impossible to do any serious work.

Any hints? Would an old XP laptop work better, with an old version of Java?

* Orest

I have not been on the admin console for a while, but needed to replace and add some modules.

THIS IS A REAL problem. 

The admin console will work for a short bit, and then just hang. I then usually have to resort to rebooting the computer to try to restart/flush java. Incidientally I sometimes see Java Reboot as a process running in the Task Manager. Worse, when I do get control again, some actions may have been properly applied, and others not.

This is making it virtually impossible to do any serious work.

Any hints? Would an old XP laptop work better, with an old version of Java?

* Orest

One thing I did notice some versions history back was that things worked better if I went into the java console and deleted all the optional module and not just the two, I believe the ISY Admin Console install does, it was more successful. Not so much that I noticed, for the AC hang but other problems.

Having said that I am going to try my win 10 machine I haven't used for months and see if I note a difference. Trouble is some days I can use the admin console for hours and not have any trouble with it. Next day all the icons turn greyed out within a second of running it.

One thing I did notice some versions history back was that things worked better if I went into the java console and deleted all the optional module and not just the two, I believe the ISY Admin Console install does, it was more successful. Not so much that I noticed, for the AC hang but other problems.

Having said that I am going to try my win 10 machine I haven't used for months and see if I note a difference. Trouble is some days I can use the admin console for hours and not have any trouble with it. Next day all the icons turn greyed out within a second of running it.

Which optional modules are you referring to?

And is this in the ISY admin console, or the system Java console?

* Orest

Archived