How to use Echo Outside of US

TheFallenAngel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am seeing the same behaviour:

PUT  timeZoneID: "America/Toronto" results in a 200 

PUT city/countryCode/county/houseNumber results in a 400 bad Request.

PUT any subsequent changes results in a 400 error.

Only way I can get the the second PUT to go through is if I manually change all of the fields in the label and the subsequent attributes to match.  But even then it doesn't stick, and returns the original address to me.

I pounded Alexa many times with the weather from my small town with no answers, as it wasn't listed in the database.

Then you go into the app and tell it you didn't get the response you wanted.

Now my little town has weather avaiable.

Amazon listens to you.

.....hmmmmm...maybe too much?

• 8 months later...

As per a poster on Reddit, the Alexa app is now accepting non-USA addresses. I changed my three dots during lunch and it worked. I had also lost local weather on my original Echo (which I had changed to my Canadian address last year using this thread's instructions) so I deleted and reentered my address via the app and all is good again on the Echo too.

Not here.

Alexa doesn't recognise my city anymore. for temperatures or weather. It did for a while some time back but not anymore.

She can say "Canada" to ask for what city, though. :) She will have to learn about provinces and State though. The city of Waterloo is found in about 13 states and two or three provinces.

When I tried to set up my Canadian address last night, after reading Pooch15's post, Alexa initially rejected it!

So I wondered if it only worked for larger cities ( I live in a somewhat rural area!). So I then tried Mississauga's (Ontario) City Hall address... and it worked! Then I went back and tried my address again and it now worked! 

I also just tried the Waterloo City Hall and it works too. In fact, when I only put in the address, without the country or postal code, Alexa came back and suggested the correct postal code! (see attached pic)

Note that after Alexa accepts my address she changes the Device Time Zone Region to North America and the Time Zone to Eastern Standard Time (Atikokan) which is not the correct time! I manually changed the Time Zone to Eastern Daylight Time (New York) to get the right time.

post-2761-0-38999600-1502811201_thumb.jpg

As per a poster on Reddit, the Alexa app is now accepting non-USA addresses. I changed my three dots during lunch and it worked. I had also lost local weather on my original Echo (which I had changed to my Canadian address last year using this thread's instructions) so I deleted and reentered my address via the app and all is good again on the Echo too.

Great news.  Any tips on getting the actual iOS app installed?  I just keep getting bounced back and forth between the US and Canadian stores; I find the app on the US store and it tells me I have to switch and get it in the CAN store and then bang, it's not findable in the CAN store.  UGH...

Great news.  Any tips on getting the actual iOS app installed?  I just keep getting bounced back and forth between the US and Canadian stores; I find the app on the US store and it tells me I have to switch and get it in the CAN store and then bang, it's not findable in the CAN store.  UGH...

I set it up on my PC and not an iPhone app.

Archived