A few new need helps...

aLf

1) how can I best get multiple units to respond at the same time, i.e., 7 different switches on at sunset, off at 10PM?  I tried a folder with the time as the criteria, but the trigger did not happen.

2) how to dim multiple LED's in the SWL's at the same time, i.e., sunset to sunrise regardless of switch status or position?

3) have a brown 8 button KPL that is not illuminating when the associated scene or unit is on.  I'm sure the light is on behind the button(s), but the brown paper and plastic seems to be hindering illumination?

aLf

1) how can I best get multiple units to respond at the same time, i.e., 7 different switches on at sunset, off at 10PM? I tried a folder with the time as the criteria, but the trigger did not happen.

2) how to dim multiple LED's in the SWL's at the same time, i.e., sunset to sunrise regardless of switch status or position?

3) have a brown 8 button KPL that is not illuminating when the associated scene or unit is on. I'm sure the light is on behind the button(s), but the brown paper and plastic seems to be hindering illumination?

aLf

Folder conditions won't trigger programs to run. They allow programs to run. The program must have a triggering clause in the 'If' section.

For 1, put the devices into a scene as responders (no controllers).

Write a program to turn the scene in at 7pm, off at 10pm same day.

For 3, maybe the KPL button is not a responder to the scene? Or the controlling device is not a scene controller of the scene that the KPL button is a responder to?

For 2, thats tough. Its not possible to decouple the light status from local control on the SWL itself. The LEDs will always represent the status of the dimmer and (therefore) the load. You could separate the two (control the load with a micro dimmer) then work on logic to adjust the led position independent of the load.

It would help to know what you are trying to do though.

Thanks.  here is my response to help you understand.

1) That would work.  I can just use the current program (trigger) within the folder to make it work.  So I'm guessing that the folder would only run between sunset and 10PM, then each scene (say lanterns on at sunset, off at 10) within the folder?  Then why not just run the scene by itself without the folder?

2) My wife (and I agree) hate the LED's so bright.  I wrote a program to dim one switch as a test.  At sunset the LED's go to 1% only if the switch is off.  I was hoping to have the LED's regardless of switch position go dim.

3) The button is indeed on/off with the scene, but the light does not penetrate the button. (Brown KPL).

aLf

Thanks. here is my response to help you understand.

1) That would work. I can just use the current program (trigger) within the folder to make it work. So I'm guessing that the folder would only run between sunset and 10PM, then each scene (say lanterns on at sunset, off at 10) within the folder? Then why not just run the scene by itself without the folder?

2) My wife (and I agree) hate the LED's so bright. I wrote a program to dim one switch as a test. At sunset the LED's go to 1% only if the switch is off. I was hoping to have the LED's regardless of switch position go dim.

3) The button is indeed on/off with the scene, but the light does not penetrate the button. (Brown KPL).

aLf

1) I wouldn't use a folder at all for this. Use time as the trigger for a program (in 'If'). Put a command in ''Then" to turn the scene on and a command in "Else" to turn the scene off. Folders don't 'run'...

2) Still not sure I totally understand. Do you mean the indicator lights on the SWL? It's not possible to have them show a different level that the load. I always thought you could adjust the 'backlight' level to dim them, but my SWLs don't appear to respond to that... Not sure what else to advise here.

3) So, a mechanical issue rather than an Insteon or ISY issue.. :P. I don't have any brown KPLs, so cannot advise here. Maybe others that have them can...

Folder conditions won't trigger programs to run. They allow programs to run. 

Okay... I'm fighting/learning this too.  But why, if my folder condition is "On Sat, Tue; Time is 5:00:00AM" does it Green up all the programs under it at that time and leave them green for seemingly hours, instead of just for that single minute or point (run) in time?  I'd expect it to have a single shot at running before the instant was gone or, more likely, never run if the programs in the folder contained state variables that didn't change in that interval.

Background on this is I'm trying to schedule sprinklers.  I want a series of network programs to run in a program at a certain time, but only if the wind is calm.  I can have a single program with the AND condition of Time AND wind (climate module) and this works.  But if it doesn't run because of high wind, I want to be notified.   To get out of the trap of a Then constantly notifying me of it not being the right time, I have to separate the IFs.  So I Time conditioned a folder and put just the Wind as the IF on the program in it.  Problem there is the program doesn't run at the Time, but runs constantly every time there is a climate module update in the hours after the Time.  I understand it's the "state"-ness of the climate variable that's getting the second behavior, but why is the Time door staying open when it seems it should just be for an instant?

Here you can see it's 10:30-ish and the folder is still green.

post-8126-0-07700400-1472319422_thumb.png

It's like that because you have no clause to disable it. You say allow to run at 5 on those days but there is no clause that says turn off.

It should be from 5-501 allow these programs to run. (Example). At 5 it would turn green allowing whatever program to run and at 501 it would turn red preventing it from running.

With that said, the program running itself would be determined by what you wrote.

I guess I'm not clear in my question...

I'm trying to dim the backlight(s) of several SWL at once.  I tried a test of one swich, basically saying that if the time were such and the switch status was off, dim the backlight.  That works, but I have dozens of switches which I'd like all to do.  Do I have to have a program for each or can I get them all to do the same under one command.  

When I try to make the (IF); sunset to sunrise, it does not work.  If I make it (sunset to sunrise and status is off) then it works.  Any suggestions to that?  If we use just one program there would be no way to look at the status of each switch.

What do you mean by, "it does not work?" The device don't turn on or they don't turn off or both?

The usual procedure does not test for status.

If

From Sunset

To Sunrise   (next day) Next day matters because sunrise the same day precedes the From time, so the statement is always false

Then

Turn on the scene that include all the devices you want to control as responders

Stu:  I played with this and got it to work.  What I've got now is LED's that go to 1% during the night.  I'm sure someone else has done this before.  Now If I can figure out how to get any SWL's to go to 100% backlight during those hours if they are on, then return to 1% when turned back off???

aLf

LR Begin Movie
If
        From    Sunset
        To      Sunrise (next day)

Then
        Set 'LR / Devices / LR Sofa Tabletop 1' On  2 / Off 1 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'LR / Devices / LR Sofa Tabletop 2' On  2 / Off 1 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'CR / Devices / CR KPL LR Light' On  2 / Off 1 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'LR / Devices / LR Movie Time 1' On  2 / Off 1 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'LR / Devices / LR Movie Time 2' On  2 / Off 1 (Backlight Level)

Else
        Set 'LR / Devices / LR Sofa Tabletop 1' On 10 / Off 5 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'LR / Devices / LR Sofa Tabletop 2' On 10 / Off 5 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'CR / Devices / CR KPL LR Light' On 10 / Off 5 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'LR / Devices / LR Movie Time 1' On 10 / Off 5 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'LR / Devices / LR Movie Time 2' On 10 / Off 5 (Backlight Level

You'd want the reverse. bright at night, dim during the day.

The # is on a scale from 0 to 10. On and Off are not to turn the device on or off, they're to set the On brightness and the Off brightness of the KeypadLinc button LEDs.

I understand the premise.  In ISY though I only see ON - OFF, FAST ON- OFF, QUERRY, BEEPS 1-100, BACKLIGHT 1-100.  I have played with the backlight, but can only get X%(backlight level).  How do I get the "ON x/ OFF x"?

I know you don't believe me...  My options are again, as follows:

On

Off

Fast On

Fast Off

Query

1 (Beep Duration) thru

250 (Beep Duration)

1% (Backlight Level) thru

100% (Backlight Level)

That is it, nothing below, above or anywhere else.  I'm running 4.5.1 firm, with 4.4.6 UI.  All switches are brand new.

I'm at a loss.  Can anyone intervene, as I'm missing something here...

aLf

Running a version firmware different from the UI version can lead to unpredictable results.

BTW, I don't disbelieve you, I'm just trying to find the cause of the problem B)

Ok, maybe I just figured it out.  My post (if read proper above), clearly stated SWL's.  I just looked and what you've been trying to tell me looks to ONLY work on KPL's.  Yikes!   So in SH's infinite wisdom, There is no on/off adjustment for SWL's?  So my original program is it?  No way to combine on/off levels for the LED's?  Brilliant. 

I can't believe someone else has not attacked this problem  The LED's are blinding at night.  My program works, but with all the switches, it will be a VERY cumbersome write.  Any suggestions?

aLf

According to what I see, I'm running the latest FW?  Am I not?

Devices in blue are SwitchLincs

BR Nighttime
If
        Time is  1:00:00AM
     Or Control 'DR / Devices / DR Side Door Light / DR Side Door G Front Off' is switched Off

Then
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Ceiling Primary 50' 10% (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Ceiling Secondary 50' 10% (Backlight Level)

Set 'BR / Devices / BR Fan+Drapes.A Fan 1' On  1 / Off 0 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Fireplace' 10% (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Patio Primary 40' 10% (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Sconces 15' 10% (Backlight Level)

Set 'BR / Devices / BR Tabtop.A Ceiling 50' On  2 / Off 1 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Wall KPL.A Lamp 35' On  2 / Off 1 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Wet Bar' 10% (Backlight Level)

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Ok, maybe I just figured it out.  My post (if read proper above), clearly stated SWL's.  I just looked and what you've been trying to tell me looks to ONLY work on KPL's.  Yikes!   So in SH's infinite wisdom, There is no on/off adjustment for SWL's?  So my original program is it?  No way to combine on/off levels for the LED's?  Brilliant. 

I can't believe someone else has not attacked this problem  The LED's are blinding at night.  My program works, but with all the switches, it will be a VERY cumbersome write.  Any suggestions?

aLf

According to what I see, I'm running the latest FW?  Am I not?

Your UI and firmware version don't match. Stu is trying to help you. Read his posts.

Archived