FanLinc damaged (8 damaged in total)

I hate to revive this thread, but I've got 4 older Fanlincs, not sure the rev, at my home, that have been working for a very long time.  But now have 5, not all installed yet for our lake house, and the first one I installed went bad in under one year.  It was previously powering an old fan, but we bought new ones and I assumed I could replace the Hunter ceiling fan controller with remote with the FanLinc, and it worked fine for a few days but the fan started making a vibrating noise and stopped running while it was on low.  Now it does not work at all on Low, but Medium and High work fine.  Do you think it's a problem with the Fan or the FanLinc, which is a rev 1.9?   I'm going to swap in another FanLinc that was meant for another fan, but wanted to get some opinions first...

I hate to revive this thread, but I've got 4 older Fanlincs, not sure the rev, at my home, that have been working for a very long time.  But now have 5, not all installed yet for our lake house, and the first one I installed went bad in under one year.  It was previously powering an old fan, but we bought new ones and I assumed I could replace the Hunter ceiling fan controller with remote with the FanLinc, and it worked fine for a few days but the fan started making a vibrating noise and stopped running while it was on low.  Now it does not work at all on Low, but Medium and High work fine.  Do you think it's a problem with the Fan or the FanLinc, which is a rev 1.9?   I'm going to swap in another FanLinc that was meant for another fan, but wanted to get some opinions first...

It's possible that the fan itself is not in High mode although the FanLinc is.

All three speeds would still turn the motor, just at slower speeds.

I. S. B. S. P.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Not necessarily. If the fan is set to medium, then high and medium will appear to work, but low could produce problems such as vibrating or not running at all.

Not necessarily. If the fan is set to medium, then high and medium will appear to work, but low could produce problems such as vibrating or not running at all.

I've tested this on three of my fans and all three preform fine but slower.

I. S. B. S. P.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Some fans may work when set to medium or even low, but many will not. I have two that do and one that doesn't. Not setting the fan to high is the most common cause when there's a difficulty controlling all three speeds.

Some fans may work when set to medium or even low, but many will not. I have two that do and one that doesn't. Not setting the fan to high is the most common cause when there's a difficulty controlling all three speeds.

Either way, that isn't his issue.

I. S. B. S. P.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Usually, if motors have too low of a voltage to make them turn they usually produce audible hum. Once they start to turn they seem to quiet down.

Double voltage reduction could do this.

The previous control has me concerned. I have been considering doing this to one of my fans that has begun to not work on odd days. The control on the wall only sends some protocol down the two wires for three fan speeds and lights. Sure would like to hack that protocol since the control box is already installed inside.

I did wire it with a 3c and two switches (on dummy right now) when installing it for future considerations.

Either way, that isn't his issue.

I. S. B. S. P.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

My comment was addressed specifically to your comment about my comment which did not include the OP's issue which was already settled. Are you having other issues? Do you need a tissue for your issue B)

I hate to revive this thread, but I've got 4 older Fanlincs, not sure the rev, at my home, that have been working for a very long time. But now have 5, not all installed yet for our lake house, and the first one I installed went bad in under one year. It was previously powering an old fan, but we bought new ones and I assumed I could replace the Hunter ceiling fan controller with remote with the FanLinc, and it worked fine for a few days but the fan started making a vibrating noise and stopped running while it was on low. Now it does not work at all on Low, but Medium and High work fine. Do you think it's a problem with the Fan or the FanLinc, which is a rev 1.9? I'm going to swap in another FanLinc that was meant for another fan, but wanted to get some opinions first...

Sound EXACTLY like a FanLinc 1.8, 1.9 REV problem

It's been a while since I been in this thread, but recently yet another one of my FanLincs damaged.

In simple words, buy Rev 1.4 if you want to work

I heard from Smarthome they fixed the problem but I am 100% sure they will still sell whatever inventory they have left before they start to roll the revision that was fixed

I heard from Smarthome they fixed the problem but I am 100% sure they will still sell whatever inventory they have left before they start to roll the revision that was fixed

Not so. I've been to Insteon Labs. A new revision requires flashing. ALL current stock is updated before shipping. Open box not included. Other sellers do not have access to updates (nor do users). I don't like that at all, but I understand their reluctance.

Primarily, selling upgraded devices is profitable. But a power glitch, such as someone turning on or plugging in an Insteon power line sucker or stomper during updates can render a bunch of devices inoperative. Personally, I willing to take the risk B)

BTW, even devices already installed at Insteon Labs are updated. Paddles have a corner cut out for just that purpose B)

Not so. I've been to Insteon Labs. A new revision requires flashing. ALL current stock is updated before shipping. Open box not included. Other sellers do not have access to updates (nor do users). I don't like that at all, but I understand their reluctance.

Primarily, selling upgraded devices is profitable. But a power glitch, such as someone turning on or plugging in an Insteon power line sucker or stomper during updates can render a bunch of devices inoperative. Personally, I willing to take the risk B)

BTW, even devices already installed at Insteon Labs are updated. Paddles have a corner cut out for just that purpose B)

Not in the case of the FanLinc. I have several hardware versions and all have firmware .41 and all the date codes range from early in 2014 to mid 2016. Evan a new version 2.1 has firmware .41 and a date code of 1424.

B.R.I.A.D.A.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

This is not a flashing issue or a simple fix from what SH support told me it's a hardware issue due to capacitors.

They placed cheap capacitors

Archived